Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: gdfhjfg, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I am 19 and was recently diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). My doctor kept telling me it was stress or cramps or constipation making my stomach hurt. I got a new doctor. They diagnosed me with bacterial vaginosis and later realized I actually had PID. I'm absolutely distraught to think I might not be able to have children. If you have any stomach pain get it checked out ASAP. Also, I didn't have any symptoms whatsoever except the pain in my stomach.

Comment from: Mrs Chavis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), and it's very unnoticeable. It's like one day I wasn't feeling well, and I woke up with a fever and a headache that was out of this world. I went to the hospital, and they told me that I have PID. They gave me medication, and it's OK, I guess. I have to follow up with my primary doctor and see if it was caused by my abortion I had earlier this year because I don't have the two STDs they say it comes from. I was tested for those in the hospital.

Comment from: AJB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

The symptoms I had of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) were mainly stomach pain and a diminished appetite. I had no discharge, bleeding or any of the other symptoms mentioned. My episode was caused by the bacteria from my skin and an STI. I should also mention that I am nearly 40 and not in the more vulnerable under 25 group.

Comment from: behaved1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was diagnosed with severe chronic pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) when I was 20 years old caused by a sexually transmitted disease (STD). I went to many different doctors, and they never found it. I had it for so long that I am infertile. I suggest to anyone having intercourse to get checked for STDs regularly and make your doctor listen to you. I am now damaged for the rest of my life, and I am now 27 and still having complications with this!

Comment from: 12345, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I am 31 years old and was recently diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). I did my yearly pap smears, but nothing was found from them. I recently had surgery. My doctor removed my right ovary and tube. He also made an incision on my left tube to drain the fluids and hopefully unblock the tube so I can get pregnant in the future. The surgery was very painful, and I have to be off work for eight weeks.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

When they first told me I had pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), I was scared out of my mind. I don't have any STDs. They still are trying to figure out why I got PID. At first, I felt sick. I couldn't eat; I had really bad pain in my lower stomach; I had pain in my legs, back, and pelvic area; and I had discharge but no periods.

Comment from: Margie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have been having urinary infections, until last May. I was given this Cravat 10tabs 500 Antibiotic for 1 week. Besides this I have been taking Postern 2tabs for unprotected sex. My last period was in April 2 days prior to this I will have spotting like its going to come. This month, my period did not come, but I thought it would come last week I have the same discharge of reddish colour like its coming. I don't have swelling in my breasts, vomiting or nausea, my feelings tells me its coming. I wonder whether the Anti biotics that I took gives an impact on my period. I do have this pain in my lower right pelvis, and sometimes the pain affects my right leg too. I'm 42 and I thought probably the busy weekends caused me to feel tired.

Comment from: Kristel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have had pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) for nearly three years, but I was always misdiagnosed with bladder infections, etc. I found out today that I have PID caused by two sexually transmitted diseases that I got as a result of rape three years ago. My symptoms are severe sharp pain in my lower abdomen, irregular bleeding, pain with sexual intercourse, discharge, nausea, and I am very tired all the time. I still don't know if I am infertile or not, and it is a horrible thought that I may never have kids, as I am only 19.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks Question: If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Infertility Question: Was your infertility caused by pelvic inflammatory disease? Please share your story.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PID.