Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: chic1234, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 24 years old and I was just diagnosed with PID last night and now I'm wondering how. My husband and I only sleep with each other and we both don't have any STDs. The only reason I can think how this happened is from when I got my tubes tied just two months ago. Thank goodness, I was blessed with three beautiful children before being diagnosed with this. But if ladies have any kind of pelvic pain, please go get checked by your doctor. It's not normal to have pelvic pain (outside of your monthly cycle). It was confusing to me, since the pain started just after my monthly cycle and the only symptoms I had were lower back pain, nausea, and a sharp stabbing pain on my left pelvic side (around my left ovary). Please ladies, if you have one or more of the symptoms of PID (especially pelvic pain), go get checked out by your doctor. I know I'm going to have to deal with this for the rest of my life and I don't mind the infertility part (I already had my tubes tied so I'm not worried about that). But it can cause other issues – so don't be afraid to see your doctor.

Comment from: andi0517, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was diagnosed with PID almost exactly a year ago. Since then I have had it going on the 3rd time. I was extremely confused as to how I got this becuase I did/do not have an STI. My general doctor never figured out what was wrong with me after 2 months of going in to see her. FInally I went to a walk in and the Dr. figured it out in the first 5 minutes. She said I may be getting it simply because of stress but now I'm concerned because this is the 3rd time in a year. I am going to see the doctor again on Friday. Is there any reason for chronic PID?

Comment from: yeah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I noticed this, because I had this a long time ago, and when the doctor told me, I asked what it is. He said it is like a cold. He gave me medication and that was the end of it. However, many years later, I am reading this now, and see how it you can get it. If I had known then, what I know now, I would have probably gotten a divorce. I was dumb and didn't know he was cheating because I was not sleeping around!

Comment from: Gemini, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I am 38 and have been diagnosed with PID two days ago after about a month of vague symptoms that included low grade fever, extreme fatigue, lower back pain that spread to legs on occasions, and lower abdominal pain. My fear is that I have had PID for much longer than a month, as I had had some of these symptoms over the course of the last two years. I was given two antibiotics to take over 14 days, hopefully this will clear it altogether. I am now worried about potential damage to organs caused by this condition. It may be worth mentioning that several GPs completely misdiagnosed me, and I was persistent enough to eventually find one that would listen and actually put some thought into the whole case. One of the wrong diagnosis included "irritable bowel syndrome"! The full onset of PID can - from my experience - make you feel beyond miserable. I have been listless, unwell, exhausted and sleepy all along. Can't wait for the antibiotics to kick in! I am still waiting for the results of a full scan to STDs, but presumably it is clear as my partner's came back clear. Earlier this year a bacteria (Ureaplasma urealyticum) was found in my vagina, and I wonder whether the onset of PID has to do with this particular bacteria.

Comment from: brittanypowell, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was recently told I have PID and I'm only 17 and it scared me and my boyfriend because I thought I was pregnant because I had nausea, decrease in appetite, and minor lower stomach pain one night. the next morning I woke up crying cause I was in so much pain I could hardly move I ended up falling on my way to the restroom cause I felt like I was going to vomit, but got to dizzy before I got there I had to call 911 to get me to the hospital where I found out I have two cysts on my ovaries and I have PID and I might not be able to have kids which is depressing to me and my boyfriend, but we are still trying to find a way to get around the pain and we are still talking to the doctor for help.

Comment from: sososad, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) three days ago. I had all of the symptoms: bleeding in between periods, chronic pelvic pain, discharge, etc. I also was checked and have no STDs. But my boyfriend spoke to his doctor about this, and we realized it came from us having anal sex. It was my first time, and I didn't know that you're not supposed to go back and forth without having the man "clean himself off." So, the bacteria went through my uterus. If you have anal sex, make sure he cleans himself.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks Question: If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis Question: Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Infertility Question: Was your infertility caused by pelvic inflammatory disease? Please share your story.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PID.