Patient Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis

Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: cheryl7, Female Published: September 10

Hi everyone. A couple of days ago after having intercourse with my boyfriend instantly afterward I felt extreme pain all throughout my stomach and chest area. I wasn't able to move. I waited it out throughout the night until the morning I tried to get up to use the bathroom and I felt light headed like I've never felt before, I instantly started sweating to the point of it dripping off my head and chest. I blacked out. My boyfriend rushed me to the emergency room, I have tons of tests ran on me only to find out I have PID. This PID was caused from my IUD I had put in 4 years ago and I was actually due to have it taken out and a new one put in that very day I was rushed to emerg. I am on day 3 of my medications (Metronidazole) and (Doxycycline) and still feeling stomach pain -hurts to laugh/cry or even sneeze. I am beyond scared this pain is going to last for months even years from what I'm reading. Does anyone have any positive feedback? I should probably mention this pain happened to me a few years ago probably just shortly after having my IUD put in, after sex. I went to the hospital and they treated me with a pain killer and nothing more. The pain after that never came back until now. I am now assuming I've been suffering with PID for years and had no idea.

Comment from: jnbhjvgfcxdfcv, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I went to the clinic after my ex partner had cheated on me. I found out I had PID which was most likely caused by chlamydia or gonorrhea. Today I got my results and I do not have any STDs at all. I have more tests to go through now as the antibiotics don't seem to be working well.

Comment from: kimberly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) and I was diagnosed with it about 3 weeks ago. I didn't have my period in June and I thought I was pregnant so I took several blood pregnancy tests that came out negative, so I proceeded to do a scan when it was 6 weeks of not seeing my period. The doctor did a pregnancy scan and a pelvic scan and found out I had PID, he told me to do HVS M/C/S and urine mcs, 4 days after I got the results and he placed me in antibiotics and one dose injection of gentamicin, and vagina insertions. After the 5th day of taking the antibiotics I had my period, and I was so happy. Now I'm perfectly fine and I want to go back for a follow-up just to be sure that I am OKAY. I advise every woman to always do a 6 months routine pelvic scan just to be on a safe side.

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms Question: Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks Question: If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Infertility Question: Was your infertility caused by pelvic inflammatory disease? Please share your story.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PID.