Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?

Comment from: Izzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 26 years old, and two months ago while I was at work my knee started swelling. In approximately five hours my knee was the size of a softball. I made an appointment with my doctor that day. When I went to see him, he did not know what had caused it. He asked me if I had injured myself or if I had done anything recently that would have aggravated my knee. I explained that I have a desk job. And that I had not done anything, and could not recall having hurt my knee. He then tried to drain my knee with no avail. He then gave me a steroid shot into my knee cap. That did not work. He prescribed me Naproxen. That did not help either. He upped the Naproxen, which still did not help with the swelling or the pain. He then sent me to a specialist whom diagnosed me with patellofemoral syndrome. He prescribed me diclofenac and physical therapy. A week later I had a massive allergic reaction to the diclofenac, and I was on the verge of a stroke when I got to the emergency room. I have not yet gone to set up my physical therapy and have been dealing with the pain, due to my having to recover from the side effect of my reaction. I am hoping that when I do start physical therapy that it will help, because my knee is still extremely swollen and I am still in pain.

Comment from: sportygirl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I'm only 16 years old. I'm an athlete at the highest levels, and in top shape. 9 months ago, I got into a collision with another player during my soccer game. We hit shin on shin, hard. At the time, I simply assumed it was twisted. Three months later I had pain doing pretty much anything with my knee. I was then diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome. I've been in physiotherapy for the past 6 months, and the remain symptoms are a pain near constant on the inside of my knee, random and in predictable spells when my knee gives out, theater sign, and pain levels that go up and down.

Comment from: kneehurts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 52 years old and have been in a very active profession for 17 years but recently I started to experience sharp stabbing pain in my knee caps whenever I bent them to walk up steps or when rising from a sitting position. The pain is severe enough to cause me to groan involuntarily when it happens. I went to the Dr yesterday and he diagnosed Chondromalacia Patella and ordered x-rays, also prescribed anti-inflammatory pills. I usually go to the gym 3 times a week and Dr told me it is important to modify my exercise routine to avoid aggravating the knees and I must see a physio to learn exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles. I was knock kneed when growing up and apparently this is a leading cause as my knee joint doesn't operate with correct alignment. It's early days for me and I am hopeful that as I change my routine I will be able to alleviate some pain as I find it quite debilitating, also I am NOT ready to retire yet.

Comment from: ohnurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have worked the health care field for years, doing a lot of lifting, running, going up and down stairs, due to another injury I left work, it was then I noticed how bad my knee's hurt, I could barely walk, I needed a cane to help me, after seeing an orthopedic doc, I was told I had torn the meniscus in my knee, now, heading into my fourth surgery for recurrent tears it is also noted that I have chondromalacia patella, I have put on weight as I can't walk very far anymore, I brace myself for the pain when I go up and down stairs. I can't do the things that I used to enjoy, even bending down can be very painful. I take percocets to relieve the pain, but limit them as they are addictive. Because this causes weakness in the quadriceps I also have pain in my hip. My doctor says he will continue to try relieving it. Not sure how many more surgeries I can do.

Comment from: Bevan, 35-44 Female Published: August 03

I have pronating ankles, which in turn when I started cycling as a fitness regime caused problems. I now wear orthotics which helped. I have a Nuroma in my foot, so I have worn fit flops to cure that. Now my knee pain is unbearable I have been to my G P who has revered me for MRI scan! My mother has R A and has had two new knees. This worries me, as a 44 yr old who loves sport, it is depressing.

Chondromalacia Patella - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?