Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?

Comment from: digby, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I am a 24 year old female. I tore my MCL (medial collateral ligament) in my left knee when I was 16 and have extremely weak quadriceps as a result. Two years ago my left knee swelled to the size of a small football. I went to Accident and Emergency and was told it would die down. Six weeks later it is still not great. I went to the general physician. He referred me to a physiotherapist and did blood test for osteoarthritis. The blood test came back negative. The physiotherapist diagnosed me with patella femoral syndrome. I did 6 months of exercises. I was able to return to normal day to day stuff. Recently my knee swelled again. I can't get rid of medial swelling. Tape helps slightly. I have seen a different physiotherapist who says I need to see a surgeon as soon as possible, as there may be a likely torn meniscus or loose cartilage.

Comment from: nadia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I stopped working out when I got pregnant 7 years ago. A year after my baby was born I started working out like crazy, little did I know I was murdering my knees. I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella. Five years after I still don't feel the same. My knees hurt every time I work out, walk long distance, or go up and down the stairs. I take painkillers almost every day. Running is a thing from the past; my knees gave up and I have tried so many times. My knees will never be the same again and that makes me so sad.

Comment from: Izzy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 26 years old, and two months ago while I was at work my knee started swelling. In approximately five hours my knee was the size of a softball. I made an appointment with my doctor that day. When I went to see him, he did not know what had caused it. He asked me if I had injured myself or if I had done anything recently that would have aggravated my knee. I explained that I have a desk job. And that I had not done anything, and could not recall having hurt my knee. He then tried to drain my knee with no avail. He then gave me a steroid shot into my knee cap. That did not work. He prescribed me Naproxen. That did not help either. He upped the Naproxen, which still did not help with the swelling or the pain. He then sent me to a specialist whom diagnosed me with patellofemoral syndrome. He prescribed me diclofenac and physical therapy. A week later I had a massive allergic reaction to the diclofenac, and I was on the verge of a stroke when I got to the emergency room. I have not yet gone to set up my physical therapy and have been dealing with the pain, due to my having to recover from the side effect of my reaction. I am hoping that when I do start physical therapy that it will help, because my knee is still extremely swollen and I am still in pain.

Comment from: Veena, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I used to be physically very active but got into chondromalacia problems. I have been having pain in my knees for more than 3 years now. I wear Aptonia S200 from decathlon shop while going for work. That keeps my knee tight and warm during work hours which keeps my brain free of pain and that way I am able to do my job. But I am looking for a cure for this problem.

Comment from: sportygirl, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I'm only 16 years old. I'm an athlete at the highest levels, and in top shape. 9 months ago, I got into a collision with another player during my soccer game. We hit shin on shin, hard. At the time, I simply assumed it was twisted. Three months later I had pain doing pretty much anything with my knee. I was then diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome. I've been in physiotherapy for the past 6 months, and the remain symptoms are a pain near constant on the inside of my knee, random and in predictable spells when my knee gives out, theater sign, and pain levels that go up and down.

Comment from: Patty W., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I wasn't convinced about surgery for my hemorrhoids but I spoke with my doctor and finally I tried THD (transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization) surgery to solve hemorrhoids problem for it was the definitive solution.

Chondromalacia Patella - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?