Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?

Comment from: sweetkiss4ever2000, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I'm 49 years old. I have been told I have chondromalacia patella. Well, I had a total knee replacement and now I am in more pain than ever. So if you could avoid knee replacement do it. Now my doctor keeps pushing me to other doctors and nothing can be done, not even revision surgery will help. So I guess I'll be in pain the rest of my life.

Comment from: kneehurts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I am 52 years old and have been in a very active profession for 17 years but recently I started to experience sharp stabbing pain in my knee caps whenever I bent them to walk up steps or when rising from a sitting position. The pain is severe enough to cause me to groan involuntarily when it happens. I went to the Dr yesterday and he diagnosed Chondromalacia Patella and ordered x-rays, also prescribed anti-inflammatory pills. I usually go to the gym 3 times a week and Dr told me it is important to modify my exercise routine to avoid aggravating the knees and I must see a physio to learn exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles. I was knock kneed when growing up and apparently this is a leading cause as my knee joint doesn't operate with correct alignment. It's early days for me and I am hopeful that as I change my routine I will be able to alleviate some pain as I find it quite debilitating, also I am NOT ready to retire yet.

Comment from: ohnurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have worked the health care field for years, doing a lot of lifting, running, going up and down stairs, due to another injury I left work, it was then I noticed how bad my knee's hurt, I could barely walk, I needed a cane to help me, after seeing an orthopedic doc, I was told I had torn the meniscus in my knee, now, heading into my fourth surgery for recurrent tears it is also noted that I have chondromalacia patella, I have put on weight as I can't walk very far anymore, I brace myself for the pain when I go up and down stairs. I can't do the things that I used to enjoy, even bending down can be very painful. I take percocets to relieve the pain, but limit them as they are addictive. Because this causes weakness in the quadriceps I also have pain in my hip. My doctor says he will continue to try relieving it. Not sure how many more surgeries I can do.

Comment from: Bevan, 35-44 Female Published: August 03

I have pronating ankles, which in turn when I started cycling as a fitness regime caused problems. I now wear orthotics which helped. I have a Nuroma in my foot, so I have worn fit flops to cure that. Now my knee pain is unbearable I have been to my G P who has revered me for MRI scan! My mother has R A and has had two new knees. This worries me, as a 44 yr old who loves sport, it is depressing.

Comment from: rockyh77, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed in the 80s with chondromalacia patella. The doctors were getting me ready for a knee replacement. I went to four acupuncture treatments for a little more than one hundred dollars and have never had a serious problem since. I never needed the operation! Back in those days, acupuncture was treated like speak easies, underground here in the United States. Now, many states certify the acupuncturist.

Comment from: Vivian Lehr, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was just told I have two tears in my knee they say it's my meniscus, but I was wondering why my whole leg hurts. There are times when my ankle hurts really badly, I was wondering if that is normal.

Comment from: naaz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have chondromalacia patella since 2010. Nowadays I have swelling and pain in my hand and feet joints.

Chondromalacia Patella - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?