Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?

Comment from: Patty W., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I wasn't convinced about surgery for my hemorrhoids but I spoke with my doctor and finally I tried THD (transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization) surgery to solve hemorrhoids problem for it was the definitive solution.

Comment from: ohnurse, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have worked the health care field for years, doing a lot of lifting, running, going up and down stairs, due to another injury I left work, it was then I noticed how bad my knee's hurt, I could barely walk, I needed a cane to help me, after seeing an orthopedic doc, I was told I had torn the meniscus in my knee, now, heading into my fourth surgery for recurrent tears it is also noted that I have chondromalacia patella, I have put on weight as I can't walk very far anymore, I brace myself for the pain when I go up and down stairs. I can't do the things that I used to enjoy, even bending down can be very painful. I take percocets to relieve the pain, but limit them as they are addictive. Because this causes weakness in the quadriceps I also have pain in my hip. My doctor says he will continue to try relieving it. Not sure how many more surgeries I can do.

Comment from: Bevan, 35-44 Female Published: August 03

I have pronating ankles, which in turn when I started cycling as a fitness regime caused problems. I now wear orthotics which helped. I have a Nuroma in my foot, so I have worn fit flops to cure that. Now my knee pain is unbearable I have been to my G P who has revered me for MRI scan! My mother has R A and has had two new knees. This worries me, as a 44 yr old who loves sport, it is depressing.

Comment from: rockyh77, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed in the 80s with chondromalacia patella. The doctors were getting me ready for a knee replacement. I went to four acupuncture treatments for a little more than one hundred dollars and have never had a serious problem since. I never needed the operation! Back in those days, acupuncture was treated like speak easies, underground here in the United States. Now, many states certify the acupuncturist.

Comment from: sweetkiss4ever2000, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I'm 49 years old. I have been told I have chondromalacia patella. Well, I had a total knee replacement and now I am in more pain than ever. So if you could avoid knee replacement do it. Now my doctor keeps pushing me to other doctors and nothing can be done, not even revision surgery will help. So I guess I'll be in pain the rest of my life.

Comment from: Vivian Lehr, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I was just told I have two tears in my knee they say it's my meniscus, but I was wondering why my whole leg hurts. There are times when my ankle hurts really badly, I was wondering if that is normal.

Comment from: naaz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I have chondromalacia patella since 2010. Nowadays I have swelling and pain in my hand and feet joints.

Comment from: Allison, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I just got back from the doctor and from what he said, this seems to be what I have going on in my right knee. About a year and a half ago I had ACL Reconstruction surgery and lost a lot of the muscle in my leg. I have been noticing a grinding or crunching noise in my knee and went to check it out. This makes stairs difficult, squats and lunges are not at all possible for me, and if I stand for 4 hours (I work in retail) then sit down for 10 to 30 minutes it is painful when I get back up. The biggest symptom that I have is the crunching noise in the upper front part of my knee. My doctor told me to do exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knee to hold the knee cap in place. Right now, my left side is weak, so the muscle on the right pulls my knee cap to the right causing it to grind the cartilage.

Chondromalacia Patella - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?