Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

Comment from: Supermabel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had hip replacement surgery done and as soon as I came home my knee was black and blue and extremely painful especially when the physiotherapist squeezed it. My hip is now healed but I have been left with chondromalacia patella in the same knee. I have never had any issues with my knee before this hip surgery, no pain or anything. I suspect this happened during the surgery when my hip was dislocated to facilitate the repair. So far my orthopedic doctor has done two cortisone injections which did nothing. I am so frustrated, as I went in with one problem and came out with another and there appears nothing is going to be done to fix it. This problem with my knee affects the way I walk which is a real issue.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have had chondromalacia patella. Strengthen quadriceps and vastus medialis oblique, it helps a lot when it flares up. Pool exercises are great. I had 2 lateral releases which kept my knee cap from dislocating. See a good physical therapist. I still have it and will live with it. It usually flares up when I stress the knees. Avoid surgery because there are no guarantees it will work.

Comment from: Sooz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella 2 years ago. I ended up getting a cortisone needle and that has been fantastic. I was going really well until I got a massage a few weeks ago and it got overstretched during the massage now I am back to square one again. Feeling very frustrated as I thought my knee was doing really well! So thinking I may have to get another needle.

Comment from: b-leann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am 30 years old and was so rough on my knees growing up, sports, and just normal 'I'm young and invincible'. Well, all that caught up with me. I was just diagnosed with chondromalacia patella and also an inflamed plica band. The plica band can be fixed, that one I'm not too worried about, if physical therapy doesn't work, we try injections, if those don't work we do surgery to relieve the tension. The doctor I saw was very straight forward (about the chondromalacia) and told me the only way to really get relief is to build up my quadriceps, that way should keep my knee cap from sliding and grinding. I have to avoid stairs, squats, running, and lunges; well, unless I just wanted to hurt. I also have to wear a brace during the day and ice at night when I get home. I am in the nursing field so it's pretty much impossible to keep off my feet. He has me going to physical therapy 3 times a week for 6 weeks to get the muscles built up as much as possible. My options as per him were, they can go in and scrape cartilage but then by doing that to me seems like it'd be just taking away what cushion there is, steroid injections, or just deal with it. Well, I can say wearing the brace during the day and icing when I get home and the Aleve and avoiding what I know will just aggravate my knee I have felt some relief, but I know it's only temporary. From my understanding from the doctor and research this is something I will have to deal with the best I can and that the ball is in my court to do what I can to help.

Comment from: JHawk, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I started experiencing increased knee pain after playing softball in August. I am an avid player, and I am very familiar with the RICE method for sports injuries. After a month of RICE, my knee was not improving. I got an x-ray which was normal. I got an MRI, and I was told I have patellofemoral chondromalacia, as well as ganglion cysts. The doctor I saw did not give me very much information on treating this condition. It feels like a blowtorch is constantly running underneath my kneecap. The pain keeps me up at night. Ibuprofen, Aleve, and Advil are not effective in treating the pain. I wear a brace every day, and I have limited my more aggressive activities. This condition is already effecting my lifestyle, and I am not really sure where to go from here. I guess my next step is a second opinion.

Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?