Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

Comment from: studentPTA, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I am a 37 year old student physical therapist assistant and one of my instructors (a doctor of physical therapy) informed me that I have chondromalacia patella. My symptoms started in high school as I was highly active in sports all year around since I was very young. It was mostly just a lot of crackling and stretching sounds that came from my knees but no pain. After my military service, the pain showed up but I did my best to block it out mentally. Here I am a decade later after my military service, in pain, lateral and posterior patella misalignment, and lots of crunching sounds; oh and did I mention lots of pain! My iliotibial band is extremely tight so I have been rolling it out daily and working out my quads/vastus medialis but nothing seems to be working. I am seriously considering surgery but I'm not sure if that will work.

Comment from: Supermabel, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had hip replacement surgery done and as soon as I came home my knee was black and blue and extremely painful especially when the physiotherapist squeezed it. My hip is now healed but I have been left with chondromalacia patella in the same knee. I have never had any issues with my knee before this hip surgery, no pain or anything. I suspect this happened during the surgery when my hip was dislocated to facilitate the repair. So far my orthopedic doctor has done two cortisone injections which did nothing. I am so frustrated, as I went in with one problem and came out with another and there appears nothing is going to be done to fix it. This problem with my knee affects the way I walk which is a real issue.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have had chondromalacia patella. Strengthen quadriceps and vastus medialis oblique, it helps a lot when it flares up. Pool exercises are great. I had 2 lateral releases which kept my knee cap from dislocating. See a good physical therapist. I still have it and will live with it. It usually flares up when I stress the knees. Avoid surgery because there are no guarantees it will work.

Comment from: Sooz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella 2 years ago. I ended up getting a cortisone needle and that has been fantastic. I was going really well until I got a massage a few weeks ago and it got overstretched during the massage now I am back to square one again. Feeling very frustrated as I thought my knee was doing really well! So thinking I may have to get another needle.

Comment from: b-leann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am 30 years old and was so rough on my knees growing up, sports, and just normal 'I'm young and invincible'. Well, all that caught up with me. I was just diagnosed with chondromalacia patella and also an inflamed plica band. The plica band can be fixed, that one I'm not too worried about, if physical therapy doesn't work, we try injections, if those don't work we do surgery to relieve the tension. The doctor I saw was very straight forward (about the chondromalacia) and told me the only way to really get relief is to build up my quadriceps, that way should keep my knee cap from sliding and grinding. I have to avoid stairs, squats, running, and lunges; well, unless I just wanted to hurt. I also have to wear a brace during the day and ice at night when I get home. I am in the nursing field so it's pretty much impossible to keep off my feet. He has me going to physical therapy 3 times a week for 6 weeks to get the muscles built up as much as possible. My options as per him were, they can go in and scrape cartilage but then by doing that to me seems like it'd be just taking away what cushion there is, steroid injections, or just deal with it. Well, I can say wearing the brace during the day and icing when I get home and the Aleve and avoiding what I know will just aggravate my knee I have felt some relief, but I know it's only temporary. From my understanding from the doctor and research this is something I will have to deal with the best I can and that the ball is in my court to do what I can to help.

Comment from: waqas, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I am trying to find out if undergoing plasma stem therapy or prolotherapy helps chondromalacia patella.

Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?