Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

Comment from: Phil, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

Well, I developed chondromalacia patella when I was 17, from a fall. I am 32 and have had pain off and on since I was 17. I just went to the orthopedist and my old MRI was apparently not good enough so I have to get another one. Assuming what I have read online here is true, it never gets better only worse. Now I think that is promising, so another MRI is going to say obviously, it is worse. Especially when I lift my leg from bent to straight, my knee cap bone skips across the joint with one loud pop. I did read about cartilage replacement somewhere, why are we not being offered that solution! What I have noticed with my pain is too much exercise or too little causes severe pain. I have a special brace that helps but it still hurts to go upstairs and cold weather makes it throb.

Comment from: nicky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I am 40 this year and was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella when I was 17. I was very fit and active then and was training to go into the police force. They said it was the physical training I was doing that caused my knee problems. Every year I get times where my knee pain is unbearable but I have got so used to it now it is just my way of life. I don't take pain killers for it, I sometimes wear a knee sock but that doesn't really help. The doctors told me it normally goes away with age; I am still waiting!

Comment from: Jknees, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am 23, I've had 2 ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) reconstructions on both knees (total of 4 surgeries) from basketball through high school and climbing post-college. The most recent surgery left me with patellofemoral pain syndrome and chondromalacia in both knees. The chronic pain was almost to the point where it was unbearable, however I started to do a lot of VMO (vastus medialis oblique) strengthening/targeting as well as some low grade hiking which for some reason seems to help the most with curbing pain symptoms. Lots of ibuprofen and ice help as well. I have a limited range of motion in both legs, so stretches are limited. I do try to do a decent amount of core strengthening as well as exercises to help with my hip alignment (going to the chiropractor has also been a great help). It took me a really long time to figure out what could help and what wouldn't, so hopefully this post will help someone out! That being said, in my case I do have a lot of damage from surgeries, trauma and general mal-alignment and will probably need a double knee replacement around 40. Bad knees are no fun!

Comment from: tracie, Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I have chondromalacia patella (CP). I was hoping to find some encouragement but I see that we are all in the same boat. I started having trouble with my knees in high school. Running sprints my knees would buckle. I fought through it. Being young was on my side. I am now 42 and can barely get through an exercise class. After 2 days of class, I'm done for months. I had Euflexxa injection 4 years ago. They help very little. I gave up hope and decided that I would live in pain and not be able to be active the way I would like to be. I cannot ride a bike or do squats at all and climbing stairs is excruciating! I'm hoping to get some answers from a new doctor. I'm not going down without a fight.

Comment from: Dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella 30 years ago. I was in agony with knee pain, I had all kinds of treatments, and then I had a double patellectomy, not at same time. I am now in more pain than ever before, I have been told they should never have removed my knee caps. I now have permanent disability in my legs.

Comment from: dsr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I've been suffering with knee pain in both knees for years. It is very sad and scary to see so many others getting the same mixed messages from doctors trying different things and no relief. The chondromalacia patella just keeps getting worse through the years. Sounds like the only thing we can do is live with it until we are old enough for knee replacements or they figure out a way to replace the cartilage maybe someday.

Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?