Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

Comment from: eryka4206, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I remember having knee pains as early as my teen years. It started getting worse in my twenties. I saw a doctor, she gave me NSAIDS and told me to ice my knees. They made my stomach cramp to the point where I could hardly stand it. A few years later I went to another doctor, who diagnosed me with chondromalacia patella (CP), told me to take Celebrex (pain is still there), and do physical therapy to correct it. I got stronger, but my knee pain didn"t get better. I got the lateral release done on my left knee. It felt better for maybe 6 months, now 8 years later, the pain in both my knees is horrible. I can"t live as a 30 year old should (now 32). I am so sad even thinking about the limitations I will have once I have kids. I don"t understand why there isn"t more treatments for us. We are in pain, nothing works, need to find something that does. I"m at my 4th doctor now and once again, they treat you like you are making up the extent of your pain and tell me physical therapy will fix me right up. I cringe, I cry, I"m in pain all the time. It used to just be walking up and down stairs. As I sit typing this, I"m in pain. My pain level is never below a 7. I was offered a knee realignment surgery but my second opinion doctor said not to do it. I"m wondering if I should. Well I"m back at it, fighting to be taken seriously. I would take knee replacement at this point, but I"m so young. I don"t think they will do it. Living with this much pain to no avail and no respect from doctors is depressing.

Comment from: TeeTee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I recently had arthroscopic surgery for chondromalacia patella on my left knee and also had therapy. I have had Euflexxa shots and one cortisone shot so far. My knee is still in pain especially at night. I tried icing and staying off of it as much as possible but nothing seems to help. I have to go back for a follow up in one week and I really do not want to keep getting shots in my knee. They are so painful. My pain is getting worse every day and I think they are going to throw their hands up soon. Walking up and down the stairs is getting aggravating. I can't walk far distances like I used to. This is the first time I have been out of work and it is very frustrating.

Comment from: fran Smith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I have lived with knee pain for years. It is worse in my left knee I have had 2 arthroscopic surgeries on my left knee and still no relief. I survive on a daily basis by taking pain medications and sitting on a heating pad. I however was never a runner or played any type of sports yet I have suffered from this chondromalacia patella for years. I have tried the cortisone injections with which I received no relief at all and I am currently in the process of seeing yet another orthopedist.

Comment from: bratt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I've been having this problem for a while now and it's getting worse. I went through physical therapy twice, still no relief. It's getting harder to get around (walking, bending, kneeling and the stairs). I've tried several medications which don't relieve the pain.

Comment from: ab26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was diagnosed 3 years ago while I was in college for ECE Electrical and Computer Engineering) - so now I can't do what I went to school for and had to fight to get disability. It took almost a year to get all the tests done and figure out exactly what the problem was. Because of chondromalacia patella my right knee (the really bad one) has degraded so bad to the point that I am 26 and I already have signs of early onset osteoarthritis. It is not a fun thing to have to go through - I have good days and bad. The really bad days are when it's damp and cold and the anti-inflammatories I'm on don't really do anything; and I'm on the max dose.

Comment from: gopal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have patellofemoral syndrome. Taping and pregabalin 75 mg daily once gives me a lot of relief and I avoid climbing downstairs.

Comment from: m43, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I had knee surgery at 20 for a meniscus tear and the doctor told me I also have chondromalacia patella and he scraped the back of my kneecap to help. Twenty years later and after two more surgeries for more meniscus tears I still need cortisone shot every three months without any relief. I have been taking two 10-325 pain medicine every 4 to 6 hours ritually just to get to work and through the day. This is the worst knee pain any one can have; when I lay down I can count my heart beats through the throbbing.

Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?