Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My knees have been cranky and creaky for about ten years. Movie theaters with so-called "stadium seating" are frequently very painful for me and when I walk up or down stairs one knee makes a dreadful creaking. I used to have a lot of pain in both knees (one more than the other.) The main thing that has help relieve the pain is riding a bicycle. I started out in a gym on a stationary bike (30-45min) and as the weather got better, began riding my own bike to the gym. I have used shallow Epsom salts baths, Ibuprophen and icing for 10 minutes 2-3x/day when the pain has been really bad. All have helped.

Comment from: ashmatash918, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was involved in a car accident and now I have this horrible pain. My doctor said I am suffering from Chondromalacia Patella. If I sit for too long with my knee bent I start having sharp pain shoot through my leg and it is difficult to walk once I straighten it out. The anti inflammatory medication has worked some, but I am still in constant pain.

Comment from: Austin, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 26

At 17, I've had Chondromalacia patella in both knees. I run long distance cross country and play tennis. I've been training six days a week for about a year, and now I can run for about 10 minutes without pain, but after that the pain comes and it gets to be unbearable. I've been biking on a stationary bike and have been doing strengthening exercises for my quads and hamstrings, but I've still been out for the past four weeks.

Comment from: Syl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

My doctor prescribed physical therapy for my chondromalacia patella. My biggest problem is getting up from a seated position. Disabled toilets are not high enough. I am at the point of wondering when I go out if I will be able to get up once I sit down. Many of times, I've called my husband on his cell phone to come and get me out of the ladies' room.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

At age 34, I developed Chondromalacia Patella from walking 5-7 miles per day. Initially, the problem may have started from overuse, without stretching. Walking on grass instead of concrete results in much less knee pain, and daily hamstring stretches have helped, but I have not been able to fully recover from PFS yet, after 1.5 years.

Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?