Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

Comment from: Sonja, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

When I was in my 20's my knees started "giving out" on me occasionally without warning and with no pain associated. As the years went by I began hearing a grating noise when walking up or down stairs. Now in my 40's I am experiencing pain, weakness, stiffness as well as very loud grinding and grating. I am not overweight but probably would benefit from strengthening the muscles that support my knee. X-rays show the tell-tell sign (spot) indicating Chondromalacia Patellae as well as little or no space between the bones. I have started taking gluc, but have not seen an improvement yet. I am unable to sit with my legs bent as this produces stiffness and pain. Also, if I walk or stand for long periods of time my legs become so painful and weak that I can barely stand another minute and must sit and rest. I have children and I am a very active person, but this has changed my life. I cannot walk down stairs without holding the stair rail as my knees feel so unstable and I cannot participate in activities with my children the way I would like too. I am hesitant to see a doctor because I have NEVER heard of anyone having successful knee surgery and it usually brings on a slew of other problems!

Comment from: Grown69842007, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

My knee first started hurting somewhat back in '04. I think it was the change from running three times a week to not running at all. Anyway, I went to the doctor eventually and they gave me some Motrin and sent me on my way. A few months later I went back and this time they took X-rays. They still said there was nothing out of the norm and gave me some more Motrin. I went back a few months later and they took more X-rays. Finally, they let me know that I have patellofemoral syndrome. My knee cap moves when I bend my leg and my knee hurts when it is bent for a short period of time. So, I finally got some physical therapy, but was getting nowhere with it. They gave me a brace also to keep my knee cap in place when I exercised. After all of this, my pain got worse one morning when I woke up and it hurt to straighten out my knee. I went to the doctor the other week and they were surprised that my knee cap moved even more and they prescribed me naproxen. They also set me up an appointment with orthopedics for later this week.

Comment from: jaylyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

As a child (8 yrs old) I was told my knee pain was just growing pains. At the age of 27 I was diagnosed with chondromalacia. I am now 45yrs old and the pain is not just isolated to the knees but also affects my hips. I have a desk job, so I sit all day and if I sit too long, when I get up I am stiff and can barely move. Squatting and climbing stairs are difficult. I've put on weight because it's hard to do any exercise, which the extra weight doesn't help the knees. From the age of 8 I've tried it all. The anti-inflammatory drugs, the creams, and heating pads, you name it.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have been suffering from knee pain for the last couple months-about 3 months. I went to the doctor and I wasn't exactly sure what my condition was because he was using doctor speak. Anyhow, he said to rest and take anti-inflammatories for 2 weeks and rest it another 2 weeks. I took the anti-inflammatories, but I did not stop my activity. About a month later after increasing knee pain, I stopped all activity. I have been reading online and realized that all my symptoms I have point to chondromalacia. I have now been resting for a little over a month. The knee pain is slightly better, but I still have a general ache in both knees when I sit too long, or do too much walking. I also have a horrible creaky noise coming from my right knee. I have been recently trying to ice my knees every day and working on strengthening my quads, calves, hamstrings and such. It's been tough being inactive for so long. My worry is my knees will never be 100%.

Comment from: gopal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have patellofemoral syndrome. Taping and pregabalin 75 mg daily once gives me a lot of relief and I avoid climbing downstairs.

Comment from: grfurtado, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

During my first experience with my knee, I was a fire crew supervisor, and we were cleaning vegetation from the roadside. At the beginning of the week I started feeling my left knee getting sore. By Friday I could hardly move it. I went to the ER, where they extracted a couple hundred cc's of fluid from my knee. They took an X-ray and sent me to a specialist, who did surgery. I had about 45 days of rehab. Now, 20 years later, I'm facing the same operation. I was bowling, my shoe stuck to the floor, and I fell. My doctor said I bruised it. Two days later, the pain was quite severe. I went to the ER, where they did X-rays. A specialist ordered an MRI. Now I'm waiting to find out what kind of operation he is planning. Stay tuned.

Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?