Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

Comment from: syy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia patella at age 16. It was so bad that my doctor felt surgery was the only answer. I went in for knee arthroscopy, and he also had to move my knee caps down because they were placed too high. At the time, there were no guarantees that it would work. I was told it would either get better or not change at all. Since then, it has gotten nothing but worse. I have tried every kind of physical therapy possible, all painkillers, anti-inflammatories. I have specially fitted orthopedics in my shoes, and yet here I am, five years later, in worse pain then I ever thought. They told me the only thing left to do was to give me total knee replacements, but that this couldn't be done until much later on in life as it has to be repeated many times. I would say to avoid knee surgery at all costs, in my personal experience, it has been nothing but horrible.

Comment from: mamap, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I developed chondromalacia patella in my late 30s. I have always been relatively active, but not excessively so. The condition just "started," without any injury preceding it. There was no excessive activity before having symptoms of this disorder. My leg would make horrible crunching, popping sounds when walking, especially going up and down stairs or hills. Finally, my doc scheduled an MRI that discovered the cause of my discomfort.

Comment from: sunfireL33, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My PFS seems to be directly related to unfortunate genetics; at 25 I have dislocated my patella 5 times and have been in rehab for over a year and a half (this time around). Keep your quads and glutes in good shape and take glucosamine/chondroitin supplements religiously and it'll stay manageable. Once you stop taking it is when you notice the pain and discomfort increase. Also, have your feet looked at for alignment and candidacy for orthotics; by adjusting my right heel it takes 80% of the pressure off my right knee. A patella strap is also something to try (cho-pat, mcdavid make them), which will help with your patella alignment when walking or being active. At any rate, I've been dealing with this for 10 years and am now a candidate for micro-fracture surgery to correct it because I've been incredibly active and aggressive with sports and rehab. Find a great physical therapist and an adjusted work-out routine would be my best advice to any of you!

Comment from: a, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I'm 31 and have been suffering from chondromalacia for 10 years. Along with the constant ache and pains, my patellas also dislocates very easily in both knees. I have found I need to be very gentle to my knees which I find extremely frustrating. Most people think I am just making excuses not to do things. I am not overweight and I have found the treatment that has worked the best for my pain has been a trip to the podiatrist. Good shoes with custom orthotic insoles has made the world of difference. Please consider this as a possible treatment; it has worked wonders for me.

Comment from: Shannon, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I started having knee pain around age 8 and just learned to deal with it as a part of growing up. It began increasing around age 11 to the point where I am unable to run anymore. I am now 16 and was diagnosed with chondromalacia 3 months ago. I have been in physical therapy for 2 1/2 months and am seeing little improvement. I have been in knee braces since then and now I am trying a tape technique. Unfortunately, I think surgery is in my near future.

Comment from: bug, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Hello just over two months ago I was told that I was one of the many lucky women who has chondromalacia. Sadly people especially teens should go to their doctor if they want to enlist because it is a dischargeable condition. I only wish I could have found out and fixed the problem before I was booted out. while I have much pain mainly in my left than my right I feel tightness as if the muscle is going to snap I often wake up in pain and have trouble sleeping as well. I hope this helps someone good luck and the anti inflammatories do work a little.

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: October 06

It hurts when I stand sit or exercise and it's in both knee and the pain is so bad I cry because I can't stand the pain it's in both knees I can't stand for long periods of time. My doctor gave me naproxen does it even work the same with the Aleve and Tylenol?

Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?