Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience

Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).

Comment from: jaylyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

As a child (8 yrs old) I was told my knee pain was just growing pains. At the age of 27 I was diagnosed with chondromalacia. I am now 45yrs old and the pain is not just isolated to the knees but also affects my hips. I have a desk job, so I sit all day and if I sit too long, when I get up I am stiff and can barely move. Squatting and climbing stairs are difficult. I've put on weight because it's hard to do any exercise, which the extra weight doesn't help the knees. From the age of 8 I've tried it all. The anti-inflammatory drugs, the creams, and heating pads, you name it.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have been suffering from knee pain for the last couple months-about 3 months. I went to the doctor and I wasn't exactly sure what my condition was because he was using doctor speak. Anyhow, he said to rest and take anti-inflammatories for 2 weeks and rest it another 2 weeks. I took the anti-inflammatories, but I did not stop my activity. About a month later after increasing knee pain, I stopped all activity. I have been reading online and realized that all my symptoms I have point to chondromalacia. I have now been resting for a little over a month. The knee pain is slightly better, but I still have a general ache in both knees when I sit too long, or do too much walking. I also have a horrible creaky noise coming from my right knee. I have been recently trying to ice my knees every day and working on strengthening my quads, calves, hamstrings and such. It's been tough being inactive for so long. My worry is my knees will never be 100%.

Comment from: grfurtado, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

During my first experience with my knee, I was a fire crew supervisor, and we were cleaning vegetation from the roadside. At the beginning of the week I started feeling my left knee getting sore. By Friday I could hardly move it. I went to the ER, where they extracted a couple hundred cc's of fluid from my knee. They took an X-ray and sent me to a specialist, who did surgery. I had about 45 days of rehab. Now, 20 years later, I'm facing the same operation. I was bowling, my shoe stuck to the floor, and I fell. My doctor said I bruised it. Two days later, the pain was quite severe. I went to the ER, where they did X-rays. A specialist ordered an MRI. Now I'm waiting to find out what kind of operation he is planning. Stay tuned.

Comment from: Mango, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I have never had any problem with my knees until I was involved in a motorcycle accident in which my knee hit the road at about 40 k.p.h. I fractured my tibia, ruptured my ACL, tore my medial meniscus, and had a grade 4 chondromalacia patella. A specialist told me I had this condition all along. I never had any problems with my knees and am still trying to find if this was caused by the accident or it just made it worse.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 18 years old and have had knee problems throughout my high school athletic career, which has been mostly distance running involving cross country and track. My parents and coaches had noticed that as I run, my legs would kick out to the side in a semi-circle as I brought them forward after each step. After seeing several doctors and receiving many diagnosis that produced no results, including patellar tendonitis, I was finally diagnosed with chondromalacia patella. Once my orthopedist got me to a medical supplier who provided me with a knee brace to align my patella and set me up with physical therapy, there was a marked improvement. Unfortunately, I had only one of the two braces I needed due to confusion with the medical supplier, and my physical therapy was only twice a week for an hour, which was not nearly enough to counteract the aggravation caused by my daily two and a half hour cross country practices, despite my efforts to see the trainer to work out on the bike on days when the pain was at its worst. I couldn't sit still in class, and no position was comfortable for my knees. I ended up "flunking" physical therapy, which I hadn't known was possible, but after finally seeing a medical supplier half an hour away to get my second knee brace for my still-worsening legs, I was able to control the pain. Although I still wasn't able to improve my times to what they had been before all these problems, it was still nice to be able to finish my races without crying, as I had been at the beginning of the season. Now that I have a break from sports for a few months until track, my legs have been steadily improving without the constant stress of daily runs.

Comment from: ramfan09, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have had knee pains ever since I can remember. I was very active in soccer when I was younger, from the age of five to about nine. Even after I stopped playing soccer I would have knee pains almost daily. I'm 18-years-old now and went to the doctor yesterday, because even though my knees had always hurt, this was not just an ache but a sharp pain, and bending my knee was also painful. I was diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patella Syndrome. My problem is that along with the Chronromalacia Patelle pain, the muscle that stabilizes my knee is too short to work properly. I have three weeks of physical therapy to look forward to, where they will take a foam roller and basically roll out my muscle, like rolling out dough. I'm also taking glucoseamine pills 3 times a day for at least 3 months. The physical therapy is going to be painful, but I would rather have that than my knee get worse!

Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?
Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment Question: What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?