Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment

What forms of therapy or treatment did you receive for your chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome)?

Comment from: Wendy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I hurt my knee about 5 weeks ago and have been limping around ever since. I did all the R.I.C.E. home treatments and nothing worked for more than a couple hours. Yesterday I saw a knee specialist who diagnosed me with chondromalacia patella. He gave me a cortisone shot and prescribed physical therapy for 4 weeks. For the first time in 5 weeks, I have almost no pain. Praying that the cortisone & therapy help get me back to my normal, active lifestyle.

Comment from: diane, 65-74 (Patient) Published: May 14

For as long as I can remember, I have had knock knees. I have exercised for 33 years. Recently, I slipped down a cement step and my right knee hit the cement wall. Since then, the pain has worsened and climbing up and down stairs hurts. I can't sit still in a car or a movie theater without moving from side to side, the pain seems to build to the point that I have to move and it stops for a time and starts again. It's very embarrassing not to be able to sit still. I am having orthroscopic surgery on my right knee.

Chondromalacia Patella - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with chondromalacia patella (patellofemoral syndrome).
Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your chondromalacia patella?