- Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Exercises to Relieve Arthritis Pain
- Quiz: What Causes RA?
- Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Experience
- Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Chondromalacia Patella - Treatment
- Find a local Orthopedic Surgeon in your town
- Chondromalacia patella facts
- What is chondromalacia patella?
- What causes chondromalacia patella?
- What are the symptoms and signs of chondromalacia patella?
- How is chondromalacia patella diagnosed?
- How is chondromalacia patella treated?
- What is the prognosis (outlook) with chondromalacia patella?
- Can chondromalacia patella be prevented?
What is the prognosis (outlook) with chondromalacia patella?
Under optimal circumstances, the patient should have a rapid recovery and return at full functional level. Chondromalacia patella is not felt to be a precursor to degenerative arthritis (osteoarthritis).
Can chondromalacia patella be prevented?
Chondromalacia patella can be prevented only in the sense that the symptoms can be prevented by avoiding any aggravating activities (running, jumping, etc.) or positions. Long-term prevention includes strengthening of the inner portion of the quadriceps muscle to help normalize the tracking of the patella.
Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
Koopman, William, et al., eds. Clinical Primer of Rheumatology. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2003.
Ruddy, Shaun, et al., eds. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., 2000.