Patient Comments: PSVT - Experience

Please share your experience with PSVT.

Comment from: LA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) since I was 30 and now am 67, I have had more frequent episodes of PSVT the past several years. I feel that caffeine has been the cause of some episodes. I have since reduced my caffeine intake to 1 regular coffee and 1 decaf a day. Still I am having episodes on average once every 10 days or 3 or 4 times a month. They can last from a minute to 30 minutes. But if I don't stop my activity (golf) it will continue and the symptoms get worse. I ended up in hospital for 5 days with many tests including an angiogram which showed no heart damage. Unfortunately, they diagnosed me as having a heart attack and of course my travel insurance is not affected. My heart enzymes were elevated, I assume this is why they labelled me as a heart attack patient. I now stop what I am doing and try to totally relax and it seems to return to normal more quickly. My episodes can happen while sleeping, driving, in peaceful environment like church or when golfing.

Comment from: chargergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I first showed signs of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) in my mid-20s. It is terrifying but I am told it will not kill me. Not relaxing to know. It is a choice of medication and caffeine avoidance or getting an ablation which may or may not fix the problem or it could also have you end up with a pacemaker. Right now I take a beta blocker every day and have for 20 years. I still get PSVT. In fact I went to the emergency room (ER) last night for a shot of adenosine because after an hour I couldn't get the cycle to break. Costly situation. My mother has it as well and she's 75. She calms me by saying if it was going to kill me I'd been dead a long time ago.

Comment from: fantan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

When I have PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) lying down flat is usually enough to convert my heart rate to normal rhythm. This maneuver exerts a moderate pressure on the carotid reflex.

Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment Question: Have you ever been treated for paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia? What treatment did you receive?
Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia?
Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Diagnosis Question: How was your paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia diagnosed?