Patient Comments: Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Diagnosis

How was your paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia diagnosed?

Comment from: TwoTimeAblation, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

For the prior two years, I felt light-headed, dizzy, and my heart beating too fast on numerous occasions. These episodes would appear weeks apart and lasted only a few seconds. When I passed out at the kitchen table, my wife drove me to the doctor. The doctor made me wear a monitor for two weeks to no avail. Therefore, at the doctor's office, I relaxed totally and my heart starting beating rapidly. The doctor called the ambulance since it was beating 300 times a minute. In the emergency room, the doctor stated it was only beating 200 times a minute when the paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia episode came back. After several tests, the cardiologist did the first operation on 8/13/07 on the right side of my heart. Against my request to have local anesthetics, the anesthetist put me out because he said that I was too nervous. After the operation, I asked the cardiologist if he found the problem on the right side of the heart. He said no and that he would go into the left side the next day. When I asked why we didn't do it today, he simply said that he would do it the next day. On 8/14/07, the doctor went into the right side of the heart, through wall and into the left side of the heart to perform a SVT ablation. For the last two years, I felt light-headed and slightly dizzy on numerous occasions. At no time, did I feel my heart beating too fast. These episodes would appear weeks apart and lasted only a few seconds. On Tuesday, 12/15/15, I walked a mile to an apartment to install a towel bar. When I arrived, the episode came again. I waited less than a minute until I felt better. I rang the doorbell and measured the bar between the two holders. I went to the basement and cut the bar. The same episode came again for about 30 seconds but much weaker. I decided to install the bar another day and walked to the bank (half a mile). Afterward, I began to walk home about a mile away. The feeling came back several times, on and off, but weaker than before. Later when I was watching TV at home, the feeling came back stronger. I put two fingers on my pulse which was beating too fast. I got my high blood pressure machine which registered my blood pressure okay but the pulse 178 times a minute. The readings were about the same each time I tested. I got my wife to drop me at the hospital emergency entrance. When I got out the car, I stood for a few seconds until my strong episode went away. They took me right away and obtained similar readings. They performed an AV (atrioventricular) nodal slow pathway modification on 12/17/15 by the same cardiologist doctor (8/13/07 and 8/14/07).

Comment from: chargergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I was finally diagnosed with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) after multiple emergency room (ER) visits where episodes would stop prior to examination. I went to an ER and they caught it on the EKG.

Comment from: megababe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

My paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia was diagnosed via emergency room. My heart was beating so fast, I couldn't breathe. They had to give me medicine and I was immediately rushed into surgery to have an ablation. I have been symptom free for 12 years now. I no longer see a cardiologist. I was bowling, and really not exerting anything physically, but I just all of a sudden felt my heart beat faster than normal. I ended up finishing the school day, even spent a couple of hours at my grandma's before my mom realized something was wrong. I was taken to the emergency room and then the story is above. I was 16 years old and a very active young adult.

Comment from: Audra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed in 2007 with SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). My heart rate was crazy and I had shortness of breath. My husband kept thinking it was my asthma. My inhaler was making things worse. When I got to the hospital I was given medication via IV. It relaxed me and I felt better. I had SVT surgery 2 weeks later. It was a failure. I still have SVT and my electro-cardiologist burned my S node and AV node. I have been on medication ever since and was told that I would eventually go on a pacemaker since the medication eventually will no longer work. I hate the episodes because they wear me out and I sleep quite a bit.

Comment from: Blondie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I had fast heartbeat occasionally. Sometimes I could feel my heartbeat. Twice I woke up and my bedroom was spinning excessively. I wore a 24 hour device for diagnosis of my paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia.

Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment Question: Have you ever been treated for paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia? What treatment did you receive?
Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia?
PSVT - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PSVT.