Patient Comments: Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia?

Comment from: swampfilly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have been dealing with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) for about 4 years. I have been in and out of the hospital, tried Coreg and Cardizem, which don't seem to help. Coreg restricted my breathing when exercising, which is not good since I am active. The cardiologist simply say it is non-life threatening. I feel like I have been kicked to the curb, it is life limiting since I still work and wake up exhausted when I spend a night in PSVT.

Comment from: Jazzrider56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had my first episodes of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia last fall. I felt so dizzy one day I called in sick to work. It resolved but happened again a few weeks later. I again felt dizzy, felt my heart racing and could actually see my shirt fluttering over my heart. I went to the emergency department (ED) at work (I'm a nurse) and my heart rate was well over 200 bpm. Valsalva maneuver was not effective, two doses of IV Lopressor did the trick. I was transferred and monitored the rest of the day. I was put on metoprolol, Eliquis, and Rhythmol. Metoprolol was discontinued as it made my pressure too low and dosage of Rhythmol was changed twice as I was still having a few episodes. Currently I'm taking 425 mg Rhythmol and five mg Eliquis twice daily with good results. Sure got my attention when they brought in the crash cart!

Comment from: smile, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I would get the heaviness in the throat as my first symptom, walking fast specially from outdoors to indoors I'll get short of breath. And occasionally I'll get tired (out of the blue) and need to rest/nap for about 20 minutes and then be fine. It doesn't happen daily, each day is hit or miss like waking up on the wrong side of the bed. I do best by drinking water frequently, sleeping 7 hours a day, and by exercising twice a week. I take fish oil and daily vitamin and I've had two ablations; the second one stopped my heart going into PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) but not the symptoms.

Comment from: eddieo2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I'm 58 years old. I've had problems with random hypotension with a high pulse rate at least 95 bpm or higher, sustained. I'm very weak and tired and it even wakes me up at night sometimes. It scares me but I try to remain calm and it goes away for months and then just happens all of a sudden any time any place, except at the doctor's office! I've researched this problem of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. It can cause blood clots to form in the heart. I have an appointment with my primary care physician (PCP) next month. It happens more often now.

Comment from: Punky, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 21

The condition of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia started when I was in my late 20s. My doctor would stop the very fast heart rate (over 200) with an IV. After a few years the medicine verapamil was given to me, I take it every day. Once, about twenty years ago, I stopped the medicine. I had a very bad attack. I had to go to the emergency room. I have taken it ever since. I am eighty-two years old and I will take it till I die.

Comment from: cupcake, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My symptoms began during my first pregnancy when I had a severe case of preeclampsia and had to deliver my son early. I had chest pains and gained lots of weight (mostly water). I was blacking out and was extremely tired. Many of the symptoms were not taken seriously, as they can be normal in pregnancy, until I began having headaches and passing out. Then I was immediately induced into labor. Nine months after giving birth, I had lost all of the pregnancy weight and an additional 20 pounds. I was experiencing a very rapid heart rate, at around 200 beats per minute. I could not sleep and always felt very jittery. My doctor put me on Toprol and almost immediately I felt better and started gaining weight back. Now, 10 years later, I'm on 25 mg and rarely have any symptoms at all unless I miss my dose. The only symptoms I now experience are from the medication, which I would really like to quit, but the doctor thinks I should remain on it.

Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment Question: Have you ever been treated for paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia? What treatment did you receive?
Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Diagnosis Question: How was your paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia diagnosed?
PSVT - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PSVT.