Patient Comments: Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

Have you ever been treated for paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia? What treatment did you receive?

Comment from: Shavitto, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

My first episode of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia I had at age 34. They have happened even while resting. I have had so many emergency room visits that I have lost count. I would suggest diltiazem, or the old fashioned med verapamil to slow your heart rate. It can take a couple minutes longer. But it is a better feeling than them stopping your heart!

Comment from: robin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I've had paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) for as long as I can remember, having an episode or two a year. However, as I've gotten older, they seem to last longer and we caught one on an EKG finally. I talked to a cardiologist about ablation, but, honestly, an expensive operation for something that is pretty random! Two months ago, though, while at work, an episode came on and I ended up in the emergency room; heartbeat was about 200 for over two hours, so they gave me adenosine. Within seconds, my heart rate was down to 100. It's a strange feeling when they administer it, but it definitely worked. I am still not sure on doing the ablation, but seriously considering it as this seems to be happening and 'sticking' more frequently. Annoying more than anything else!

Comment from: Jeff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I had a triple heart bypass 2 years ago and I have also had 4 cardioversions for paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT). I now have found out that my late mother had PSVT. She was told she couldn't fly, wonder if the same will apply to me. My cardiologist hasn't told me not to fly.

Comment from: Maggie68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

Over the past year, I've started having episodes of rapid heartbeat, but they would only last 30 seconds to a couple minutes. I would do the vagal maneuvers and sometimes it worked, other times my heart rate would normalize on its own. I have had maybe 6 to 8 episodes since they started, and told my primary care physician (PCP), so she ordered a 48 hour Holter monitor for me. Unfortunately, because they are so random and I can go weeks/months without one, the monitor detected nothing. About 10 days ago, I was at a wound care clinic for hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Before my treatment started, my heart rate sped up, was 185, and the technician called the doctor in. He checked my pulse, said I was sweating profusely (I was cold though), and asked if I was lightheaded or had shortness of breath (I didn't/wasn't). They called 911 and EMTs (emergency medical technicians) came, my heart rate was up to 220 by the time I was in the ambulance and they administered adenosine (which was very scary and weird). In the emergency room my heart rate was back to 130, then 100. I had a CAT scan with contrast to check for clots (negative), they said it was PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia). I saw a cardiologist the other day, he referred me for an echocardiogram, and prescribed Cardizem, a calcium channel blocker. I'm nervous about taking it because I took one for hypertension when I was 30 (Plendil) when my PCP and I were trying to figure out the best blood pressure drug for me, and I had a bad reaction. Cardizem is molecularly different from Plendil, but I'm still nervous. I'm seeing a cardiac electrophysiologist on Thursday, for a second opinion (I figured it won't hurt). Since my bad episode 10 days ago, I haven't had another, but am trying to stay calm and relaxed.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

Two years ago I went into the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack. I followed up with doctor, she convinced me to wear Holter Monitor, and there were recorded events of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT). We have done two different medications, EKG, electrocardiogram and nuclear stress test; my heart is very healthy, but these episodes just won't quit! Tomorrow I am having an ablation. I am scared but looking forward to life on the other side of this. At 38, it was kind of scary to find out heart was acting up. But I can't wait to be normal and back to an active lifestyle.

Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia?
Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Diagnosis Question: How was your paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia diagnosed?
PSVT - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PSVT.