Patient Comments: Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Treatment

Have you ever been treated for paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia? What treatment did you receive?

Comment from: Maggie68, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

Over the past year, I've started having episodes of rapid heartbeat, but they would only last 30 seconds to a couple minutes. I would do the vagal maneuvers and sometimes it worked, other times my heart rate would normalize on its own. I have had maybe 6 to 8 episodes since they started, and told my primary care physician (PCP), so she ordered a 48 hour Holter monitor for me. Unfortunately, because they are so random and I can go weeks/months without one, the monitor detected nothing. About 10 days ago, I was at a wound care clinic for hyperbaric oxygen treatment. Before my treatment started, my heart rate sped up, was 185, and the technician called the doctor in. He checked my pulse, said I was sweating profusely (I was cold though), and asked if I was lightheaded or had shortness of breath (I didn't/wasn't). They called 911 and EMTs (emergency medical technicians) came, my heart rate was up to 220 by the time I was in the ambulance and they administered adenosine (which was very scary and weird). In the emergency room my heart rate was back to 130, then 100. I had a CAT scan with contrast to check for clots (negative), they said it was PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia). I saw a cardiologist the other day, he referred me for an echocardiogram, and prescribed Cardizem, a calcium channel blocker. I'm nervous about taking it because I took one for hypertension when I was 30 (Plendil) when my PCP and I were trying to figure out the best blood pressure drug for me, and I had a bad reaction. Cardizem is molecularly different from Plendil, but I'm still nervous. I'm seeing a cardiac electrophysiologist on Thursday, for a second opinion (I figured it won't hurt). Since my bad episode 10 days ago, I haven't had another, but am trying to stay calm and relaxed.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

Two years ago I went into the emergency room because I thought I was having a heart attack. I followed up with doctor, she convinced me to wear Holter Monitor, and there were recorded events of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT). We have done two different medications, EKG, electrocardiogram and nuclear stress test; my heart is very healthy, but these episodes just won't quit! Tomorrow I am having an ablation. I am scared but looking forward to life on the other side of this. At 38, it was kind of scary to find out heart was acting up. But I can't wait to be normal and back to an active lifestyle.

Comment from: Jillheart, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have had paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia for several years. They are anywhere from a couple of minutes to several hours. It is very tiring when they last that long. I do take medications for the SVT and I am not sure if it helps because I still get them all the time. It is scary going to the emergency room. After 3 1/2 hours at 172 bpm I finally went in. They gave me adenosine through IV and in seconds I was good. Weird feeling when you have it done.

Comment from: Dave, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, and paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. I had the ablation procedure in April 2014 and have been doing pretty good since then. I've had some extra beats (which were scary) but things seem to be quieting down. I'm still on blood thinners (Eliquis), it is expensive and my big toe nails have turned black!

Comment from: chargergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I just had adenosine administered last night as I couldn't break the paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) cycle. I have had this conditions for over 30 years. I am scared to death to go through an ablation.

Comment from: Glambo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

My first episode of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) happened when I was 40 and I felt like I was going to pass out. I was treated with an ablation but I had to continue taking atenolol. Since, I have developed another PSVT and am taking an increased dose of atenolol, which makes me very tired (I also have fibromyalgia).

Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia?
Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Diagnosis Question: How was your paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia diagnosed?
PSVT - Experience Question: Please share your experience with PSVT.