Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis

At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My grandma has Parkinson's disease, she is about 75 years old it was detected 7 years ago. Right now it's getting more difficult to live for her, because of stiff muscles she can't even move. L-dopa and carbidopa medicines are given, but won"t give much relief. She can"t eat food and the skin is damaging forming ganglia. This is may be the last stage of disease.

Comment from: bud244825, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 07

The love of my life for the last 17 years was diagnosed with Parkinson's last week. In the last year I have noticed the tremors on the left side of his body, and he has a significant loss of strength and mobility in his left arm and left leg. It took me almost a year to get him to go to the doctor. I had long suspected it was Parkinson's but when the doctor confirmed it last week, I really hoped I was wrong. The doctor started him on Sinemet immediately and after a week we are noticing that the tremors are decreasing. We remain hopeful for the future.

Comment from: Bill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I'll be 75 in 3 weeks. My Parkinson's was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago. For years I have had symptoms of arthritis and neuropathy, but they were only diagnosed a few months ago after I fired my previous doctor and hired another. It was the onset of tremors starting in my right hand that caused my other symptoms to be recognized as Parkinson's. CARBIDOPA-LEVODOPAER 25-100, 100mg 3 x Daily, has been been very helpful. I can still walk smoothly but the ground under me feels like it is loose or moving. Swallowing and speaking difficultly has been periodically problematic for about 15 years. But I still get around without being noticed. My diet and exercise are normal for me and my weight remains at 155lbs. My main concern is that all my family members have passed on and I live alone. I'll have to make future care arrangements with strangers.

Comment from: Michele, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 25

My brother was diagnosed last month with Parkinsons at 40 years old. Currently he only has a tremor in the left hand but his dr has said he displays other signs ie finger tapping difficulty, loss of expression and no swing on arms. None of which I even noticed until it was pointed out. This disease scares the hell out of me but I am determined to gain as much knowledge as possible and do all I can to help him adapt to new symptoms if and when they arise. Also had the chance to see how deep brain stimulus via an implant works and although it isn't for everyone is was very impressive. Thank you all for sharing

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was just diagnosed with Parkinson's last week. I am 66 years old. My symptoms at diagnosis are tremors in the right arm and hand at rest and also walking without moving my right arm.

Comment from: Rooting for Michael, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I am 45 and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 5 months ago. I showed symptoms for many years but it wasn't until my eyes and face started twitching following a seizure like episode that I was officially diagnosed. If you think something is wrong see a doctor. Medication is VERY helpful for me and I expect to live a long life :) Besides I am too angry to settle for less!

Comment from: george, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 63. His symptoms were shuffling of feet, slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle. Things are tough for me, I too am disabled but now must step up to assist him. He now walks with a walker. He has trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult. Getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible. We have a high bed and I had a local school make a bench to help him into bed.

Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms Question: At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?
Parkinson's Disease - Treatments Question: What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?