Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis

At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?

Comment from: genie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been recently diagnosed and the symptoms are in the low to medium pain level. I have fair days and debilitating days. I also have fibromyalgia going into my 20th year. I am 65 years old but feel older due to the Parkinsons.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 63. Symptoms were tremor in right leg, loss of handwriting ability, and soft voice. I also have difficulty rising from a seated position and have balance issues. I started out taking only Azilect, then Mirapex, and last month Sinemet. Several months ago I started falling frequently, hence the reason for Sinemet.

Comment from: epsteinabe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed in 2004 at the age of 38, but ever since the age of 24. I had varying symptoms of the disease, which at the time all of us did not know were of Parkinson's' disease, or else I would have taken treatment earlier.

Comment from: Janet, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was diagnosed with mild Parkinson's Disease two years ago (2009). I went to a Neurologist because of tremors causing my ability to write to fail. I took Prolanolol for 2 years and have stopped Prolanolol as of the end of April. Now I am on Carbidopa/Levodopa Tablets 25mg./100 mg., brand name Sinemet, 3x/day. Getting acclimated to Sinemet has taken a little effort, with nausea at first, but I am adjusting and my tremors have decreased to my satisfaction. My PD is still at the mild stage.

Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms Question: At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?
Parkinson's Disease - Treatments Question: What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?