Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis

At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?

Comment from: george, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 63. His symptoms were shuffling of feet, slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle. Things are tough for me, I too am disabled but now must step up to assist him. He now walks with a walker. He has trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult. Getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible. We have a high bed and I had a local school make a bench to help him into bed.

Comment from: genie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been recently diagnosed and the symptoms are in the low to medium pain level. I have fair days and debilitating days. I also have fibromyalgia going into my 20th year. I am 65 years old but feel older due to the Parkinsons.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 63. Symptoms were tremor in right leg, loss of handwriting ability, and soft voice. I also have difficulty rising from a seated position and have balance issues. I started out taking only Azilect, then Mirapex, and last month Sinemet. Several months ago I started falling frequently, hence the reason for Sinemet.

Comment from: epsteinabe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed in 2004 at the age of 38, but ever since the age of 24. I had varying symptoms of the disease, which at the time all of us did not know were of Parkinson's' disease, or else I would have taken treatment earlier.

Comment from: Janet, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was diagnosed with mild Parkinson's Disease two years ago (2009). I went to a Neurologist because of tremors causing my ability to write to fail. I took Prolanolol for 2 years and have stopped Prolanolol as of the end of April. Now I am on Carbidopa/Levodopa Tablets 25mg./100 mg., brand name Sinemet, 3x/day. Getting acclimated to Sinemet has taken a little effort, with nausea at first, but I am adjusting and my tremors have decreased to my satisfaction. My PD is still at the mild stage.

Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms Question: At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?
Parkinson's Disease - Treatments Question: What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?