Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Treatments

What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?

Comment from: paul, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had Parkinson's disease (PD) for about 5 years. I am doing well on Sinemet and Azilect. I have heard that some of our neuro transmitters i.e. serotonin and dopamine are manufactured in our gastrointestinal tract as well as in our brains. I also wonder why we need more and more of Sinemet to control our symptoms as time goes on? Also, Azilect is very expensive. I wonder if there is evidence that it helps as the disease progresses. It almost seems like PD is an autoimmune disease to dopamine.

Comment from: Cinnamon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 02

Since the Rush University Medical Centre cinnamon study report on the benefits for mice with Parkinson's disease (PD), I have taken cinnamon 1 tsp with quick oats in the morning and again at night around 9:30 pm. I weaned myself off Levocarb 100/25 and my PD symptoms have declined over a 2 week period. I have my fingers crossed that all symptoms will go away. The last symptom, an occasional tremor in my lower jaw at bedtime is almost gone. So far, I feel like a lucky mouse who joined the study at Rush University in Chicago. I am 69 and also do walking on a treadmill at 2 mph for 40 minutes every 2nd day. Read the Rush University press release June 20, 2014 and see what they found.

Comment from: Tom, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago, when I was 38. I am now almost 48 and my Parkinson's disease (PD) is still fairly well controlled. I have started to have some difficulties between doses and have had to watch that more carefully the last year or so. I am still living independently, and yes, from what my screen name suggests, I still play the violin, but I had to stop playing at the symphony level some years ago. I still play "fiddle" type music quite well and enjoy it a lot, although if I'm not careful with medications and preparation I can have a "melt-down" and have to take a break from playing for a half-hour while I calm down and medicines kick in. Rather embarrassing at a show, but it only happens every once in a while. Life is still good!

Comment from: shlawa, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My husband was diagnosed at age 74 with Parkinson's disease. He was put on Senemet for 6 months and then Siferol was introduced and replaced the Senemet. During this time span he was also diagnosed with dementia. He started having hallucinations, lost touch with reality. Suspecting it was the medication I took him off the Siferol (with the doctor's knowledge). He has improved dramatically.

Comment from: Maggie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with Parkinson"s syndrome in June of last year. I had essential tremors since age 55. I have a stooped posture, right arm does not move. I also have a pulsating feeling in my body. My legs tingle and are cold. I am on Sinemet and primidone for the essential tremors.

Comment from: Peggy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I am 56 year old who was diagnosed 4 months ago with Parkinson's. I have severe calf pain, muscle pain, slurred speech, frequent falls, loss of balance, difficulty in getting up from sitting position, I'm having a problem accepting my diagnosis, even though I've read every thing I can find to read. I've been put on Sinemet 3 times daily but it doesn't seem to be helping. I also have difficulty writing now. Getting in bed, turning over. Is the any other medicine that anyone else has tried that works?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease since 2010, by the VA. I found that none of the current medications worked (side effects for me). I currently take pramipexole dihydrochloride three times daily. It's working well. I still have some tremors but dealing with it. Was on carbidopa levodopa but only lasted 90 minutes then wore off. I still use it when need to use hands etc. Down side of carbidopa is after reaching max dosage it will no longer give relief, per my doctor. I am 45 years old. No history in my family. I was determined to be service connected from Afghanistan and Iraq. Other veterans please pay attention and get checked.

Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms Question: At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?
Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis Question: At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?