Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Treatments

What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?

Comment from: Tom, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago, when I was 38. I am now almost 48 and my Parkinson's disease (PD) is still fairly well controlled. I have started to have some difficulties between doses and have had to watch that more carefully the last year or so. I am still living independently, and yes, from what my screen name suggests, I still play the violin, but I had to stop playing at the symphony level some years ago. I still play "fiddle" type music quite well and enjoy it a lot, although if I'm not careful with medications and preparation I can have a "melt-down" and have to take a break from playing for a half-hour while I calm down and medicines kick in. Rather embarrassing at a show, but it only happens every once in a while. Life is still good!

Comment from: shlawa, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My husband was diagnosed at age 74 with Parkinson's disease. He was put on Senemet for 6 months and then Siferol was introduced and replaced the Senemet. During this time span he was also diagnosed with dementia. He started having hallucinations, lost touch with reality. Suspecting it was the medication I took him off the Siferol (with the doctor's knowledge). He has improved dramatically.

Comment from: Peggy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I am 56 year old who was diagnosed 4 months ago with Parkinson's. I have severe calf pain, muscle pain, slurred speech, frequent falls, loss of balance, difficulty in getting up from sitting position, I'm having a problem accepting my diagnosis, even though I've read every thing I can find to read. I've been put on Sinemet 3 times daily but it doesn't seem to be helping. I also have difficulty writing now. Getting in bed, turning over. Is the any other medicine that anyone else has tried that works?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I have been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease since 2010, by the VA. I found that none of the current medications worked (side effects for me). I currently take pramipexole dihydrochloride three times daily. It's working well. I still have some tremors but dealing with it. Was on carbidopa levodopa but only lasted 90 minutes then wore off. I still use it when need to use hands etc. Down side of carbidopa is after reaching max dosage it will no longer give relief, per my doctor. I am 45 years old. No history in my family. I was determined to be service connected from Afghanistan and Iraq. Other veterans please pay attention and get checked.

Comment from: RidgeRunner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

Exercise and Azilect/Inderal was used to treat my Parkinson's. I was diagnosed at 61 years old. I had left side hand tremors, calf cramps leading to not walking - after a long shopping day, for example. I gradually started a physical therapy regimen with water exercises in their pool. I just graduated to yoga-type stretching of all muscle groups daily and isometric exercises. No weights, just pushing or pulling against resistance. Also a lot of leg exercises so I can get out of a chair easier. A good physical therapist can get you on the right path. It requires your dedication to help, what I feel, is the delay in onset of symptoms by "sweating" exercises - every day.

Comment from: MM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I take Sinimet four times a day to control my symptoms, which inlcude falling, imbalance, gait problems, swallowing difficulties, and slurring of speech. I also exercise 7 days a week. I walk with my walker over a railroad overpass 6 times near my house, 4 times a week. I ride a recumbent bike four days a week, for 40 minutes each time, and I work out with weights five days a week. This has really helped me develop muscle strength so that if I get unbalanced, I will not always fall.

Comment from: shakerattleandroll, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

Exercise with emphasis on stretching and exaggerated movements seems to help my Parkinson's. Medications include carbidopa/levidopa, and amantadine.

Comment from: allenfor5, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I have had Parkinson's Disease now for 7 years and I am 50 years old now. I have been on most every drug known to man for it. The only drugs that seem to help is carbidopa or stalevo, but it's too costly. After a recent trip to Atlanta, I am now on 3 drugs carbidopa, amantadine,and mirape .This is a new dosage so not sure how good it is yet.

Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms Question: At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?
Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis Question: At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?