Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Treatments

What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?

Comment from: RidgeRunner, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

Exercise and Azilect/Inderal was used to treat my Parkinson's. I was diagnosed at 61 years old. I had left side hand tremors, calf cramps leading to not walking - after a long shopping day, for example. I gradually started a physical therapy regimen with water exercises in their pool. I just graduated to yoga-type stretching of all muscle groups daily and isometric exercises. No weights, just pushing or pulling against resistance. Also a lot of leg exercises so I can get out of a chair easier. A good physical therapist can get you on the right path. It requires your dedication to help, what I feel, is the delay in onset of symptoms by "sweating" exercises - every day.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: MM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I take Sinimet four times a day to control my symptoms, which inlcude falling, imbalance, gait problems, swallowing difficulties, and slurring of speech. I also exercise 7 days a week. I walk with my walker over a railroad overpass 6 times near my house, 4 times a week. I ride a recumbent bike four days a week, for 40 minutes each time, and I work out with weights five days a week. This has really helped me develop muscle strength so that if I get unbalanced, I will not always fall.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: shakerattleandroll, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

Exercise with emphasis on stretching and exaggerated movements seems to help my Parkinson's. Medications include carbidopa/levidopa, and amantadine.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: allenfor5, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I have had Parkinson's Disease now for 7 years and I am 50 years old now. I have been on most every drug known to man for it. The only drugs that seem to help is carbidopa or stalevo, but it's too costly. After a recent trip to Atlanta, I am now on 3 drugs carbidopa, amantadine,and mirape .This is a new dosage so not sure how good it is yet.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms Question: At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?
Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis Question: At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.