Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms

At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?

Comment from: jud, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a male aged 60 and diagnosed with Parkinson"s at 59. I had some symptoms for a few years before diagnosis; stiff achy right arm and ankle, right hand tremor when typing, tiredness, body shivers, falls due to tripping. I was always active, bicycle riding to/from work daily and putting in 2 to 3,000 miles on my bicycle per year. Azilect and almost daily exercise have reduced my symptoms so much that now I hardly notice them.

Comment from: Ahsan, 0-2 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I am a 39-year-old man. My Parkinson's disease appeared at the age of 37. My symptoms, at the beginning, were fine tremors and rigidity with joint stiffness. I am taking entacapone with levodopa, carbidopa, and pramipexole. My Parkinson's disease is mostly under control.

Comment from: Lalita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am a 77-year-old lady. My Parkinson's disease appeared at the age of 55. My symptoms at the beginning were fine tremors and rigidity with joint stiffness. I am taking Entacapone with Levodopa, Carbidopa, and Pramipexole. My Parkinson's disease is partly under control.

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My symptoms started at the age of 33. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt. I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from` a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later. I am now 59. With new medicine in recent years, I feel better now than I have felt since I was diagnosed. Having PD has changed my life drastically, but I am coping.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed five years ago at the age of 51. I had symptons for 3-4 years prior to that but did not know anything about Parkinsons. I first noticed a slight twitch in my left hand, finger and thumb, which became pill rolling. We attended a lot of sports events and I would lose my balance in the moving crowd. I then started seeing a neurologist. I started falling a lot when losing my balance and had a hard time walking normal. I finally froze up in the doorway at church. I told my Neuro and he said that he now knew that I had Parkinsons. Started me on drugs and I got better right away.

Comment from: marlop, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My father has Parkinson's disease, his neck muscles stiffen up and he has a hard time breathing.

Comment from: Marge, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 14

The symptoms first appeared when I was about 72 years old.

Comment from: sarahco, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My early symptoms started at age 16. I had tremors in hands and legs, and stiffness which made it impossible to move.

Comment from: photoman, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

When I look back I am now noticing the signs of Parkinson's disease. For about a month suddenly the symptoms worsened. I am not official diagnosed but will be going to the neurologist in 3 days to get official tests done. I know in my heart it is Parkinson's. I just turned 28 and read that people in the older years develop Parkinson's. At the moment I am just trying to process this information because I just saw my doctor about an hour ago.

Parkinson's Disease - Treatments Question: What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis Question: At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?