Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms

At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?

Comment from: maureen, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease nearly 7 years ago, when he was 49. He had a stooped posture, tremors, right arm does not move and also has a pulsating feeling in his body. He was placed on Sinemet for 8 months and then Sifrol was introduced which replaced the Sinemet. During this time span he was also diagnosed with dementia. He started having hallucinations, and lost touch with reality.

Comment from: jud, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I am a male aged 60 and diagnosed with Parkinson"s at 59. I had some symptoms for a few years before diagnosis; stiff achy right arm and ankle, right hand tremor when typing, tiredness, body shivers, falls due to tripping. I was always active, bicycle riding to/from work daily and putting in 2 to 3,000 miles on my bicycle per year. Azilect and almost daily exercise have reduced my symptoms so much that now I hardly notice them.

Comment from: Ahsan, 0-2 Male (Patient) Published: August 24

I am a 39-year-old man. My Parkinson's disease appeared at the age of 37. My symptoms, at the beginning, were fine tremors and rigidity with joint stiffness. I am taking entacapone with levodopa, carbidopa, and pramipexole. My Parkinson's disease is mostly under control.

Comment from: Lalita, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am a 77-year-old lady. My Parkinson's disease appeared at the age of 55. My symptoms at the beginning were fine tremors and rigidity with joint stiffness. I am taking Entacapone with Levodopa, Carbidopa, and Pramipexole. My Parkinson's disease is partly under control.

Comment from: joption, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

I noticed a vibration in right foot and then right hand. After about 18 months a shake and/or tremor. Twelve months later, shaking. Still testing medicines, but 3 did not work. It may be Levodopa as last resort.

Comment from: marlop, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 13

My father has Parkinson's disease, his neck muscles stiffen up and he has a hard time breathing.

Comment from: Marge, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 14

The symptoms first appeared when I was about 72 years old.

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My symptoms started at the age of 33. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal. I was often asked did I hurt. I noticed nothing different about my walk. It was difficult getting up from` a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later. I am now 59. With new medicine in recent years, I feel better now than I have felt since I was diagnosed. Having PD has changed my life drastically, but I am coping.

Parkinson's Disease - Treatments Question: What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis Question: At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?