Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms

At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?

Comment from: KAREN MORGAN, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

I was diagnosed with PD 7 years ago. I first developed weakness in my right hand and would have tremors occasionally. I was having trouble writing, brushing my teeth, doing routine ADl's. I felt like I was doing thing in slow motion. I still only have tremors occasionally, it is usually positional. When I was driving I would tend to go off the road.

Comment from: Fisherwoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am 55 and have been diagnosed with Parkinson's for about 3 years but symptoms for several years before. I had lots of tests to show what diseases I did not have. My Mother was diagnosed when she was in her early 30's and passed away after 22 years. I noticed the shuffling and arms going numb when I was driving. I have been seeing a Chiropractor and it has helped me stay a little more flexible than without. I have tried different medications and am changing some at this time; my Neurologist is open and supportive when looking at alternative medicines and procedures. I also have a VERY supportive Husband and family, they keep me active and pull me if I walk too slow.

Comment from: Johan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been diagnosed 8 years ago and have since undergone DBS surgery early this year. I am very anxious about the results, no marked improvement noted, but I have to follow up with my neurosurgeon again. I also suffer from delayed ejaculation or lack thereof at times. A very difficult situation for my very patient wife! I need a response please, if possible.

Comment from: Jogger, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 62 years of age and was quickly diagnosed with Parkinson's 8 months ago. My only symptoms to date are shakiness (increasing) and general reduction of control and strength of the left hand. Lately, I experience a general tightness of the chest accompanied by periodic sudden feelings of shortness of breath. I also become quite dizzy when performing any athletic function (jogging). I have been quite active and hope to continue. I am on Levodopa/Carbidopa, 100/25.

Comment from: Theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in my mid to late 40's. I had hand tremors for several years. Gradually becoming worse. I then noticed when I was tired the tremors were worse. I started falling for no apparent reason. I now have stiffness in my legs and need to walk with 2 canes or a walker. I am very slow getting around. I am now 54 years old. I am forgetful at times and have difficulty expressing myself. I have difficulty swallowing at times. I become tired easily.

Comment from: bigbux, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I remember my arms quit swinging and the tremor started when I was about 44 or 45. My son was one of the first to go to Iraq and I had also started a new more stressful job. I thought it was stress. I am a nurse and I spoke with a neurologist at the facility and he suggested an MRI and a neurologist in private practice. I went to the neuro and had the MRI. The neuro did not think I had it then. He thought it was benign orthostatic tremors. The symptoms got progressively worse, shuffling gait, poor balance, no arm swing, tremors. People would say you are shaking my reply would be , �that's what I do.� I went back to the neuro and have been diagnosed for about six months. I am now 50. Getting the meds tweaked. I feel good most of the time, have a good supportive family.

Comment from: elvira, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have an essential tremor which delayed diagnosis but I was diagnosed at 54. I responded slowly to Madopar and it started wearing off within a year. Currently I am on Mysoline 250mg in 3 doses for the essential tremor. Madopar 200mgfour times a day. Sifrol 1mg three times a day. My worst problems are now mostly drug related. Insomnia (never had difficulty until Madopar. Reduced impulse control (I spend money much more and gamble more). I haven't stopped talking since I was started on Sifrol. I babble to everyone and if no animate object is around I talk to the walls/floor chair. It used to be quiet in my head. Mostly it's cheerful but I would really like to shut up!

Parkinson's Disease - Treatments Question: What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis Question: At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?