Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms

At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?

Comment from: misspunken, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I'm 25 and for the last few weeks I have noticed that my fingers and hands shake a lot and my fingers want to jerk and twitch. I lose track of my concentration. I can't remember things. My mom was my age when I first noticed her doing the same thing.

Comment from: Gloria, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 19

My sister was diagnosed a week ago after several years of being told she had "restless leg syndrome.” She has very bad toe cramps, where here foot looks like a claw and is very painful. She also "freezes" on trying to stand from a sitting position. She speaks so quickly and "gabbles" that we are unable to decipher what she is saying. She is now very unsteady on her feet and has fallen several times; we are obviously very concerned about this as she lives alone. She is 84 years old. Her neurosurgeon has suggested that she should move into a "lodge" with 24 hour supervision.

Published: July 29

My Parkinson's first started at age 46. I was a paramedic and as it progressed and my gait was changing, I knew something was wrong, so I went to a neurologist. Very early on, my lips were quivering. The medications have helped, and I am able to function — just a little slower now.

Comment from: Clara, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 11

My husband is 80 years and has been suffering from PD for the past 15 years. Lately he has started hallucinating and I don't know how to handle the situation. He cannot sleep and tried to find and catch the imaginary people who he thinks are real. Any advice will be welcome.

Comment from: R.R., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am 57 and diagnosed in June 2009. I had a very long list of symptoms, some of which were. Keeping right arm close to my side while walking, tremors in right hand, numbed toes on right foot, drooling out right side of mouth, over all body aches and pain, trouble moving in bed, dry skin, hair falling out, urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, slurred words, falling, speaking softly, tiredness, aggravation and irritation, weepy and crying a lot, loss of strength.

Comment from: KAREN MORGAN, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

I was diagnosed with PD 7 years ago. I first developed weakness in my right hand and would have tremors occasionally. I was having trouble writing, brushing my teeth, doing routine ADl's. I felt like I was doing thing in slow motion. I still only have tremors occasionally, it is usually positional. When I was driving I would tend to go off the road.

Comment from: Fisherwoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am 55 and have been diagnosed with Parkinson's for about 3 years but symptoms for several years before. I had lots of tests to show what diseases I did not have. My Mother was diagnosed when she was in her early 30's and passed away after 22 years. I noticed the shuffling and arms going numb when I was driving. I have been seeing a Chiropractor and it has helped me stay a little more flexible than without. I have tried different medications and am changing some at this time; my Neurologist is open and supportive when looking at alternative medicines and procedures. I also have a VERY supportive Husband and family, they keep me active and pull me if I walk too slow.

Comment from: Johan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been diagnosed 8 years ago and have since undergone DBS surgery early this year. I am very anxious about the results, no marked improvement noted, but I have to follow up with my neurosurgeon again. I also suffer from delayed ejaculation or lack thereof at times. A very difficult situation for my very patient wife! I need a response please, if possible.

Parkinson's Disease - Treatments Question: What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis Question: At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?