Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms

At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed five years ago at the age of 51. I had symptons for 3-4 years prior to that but did not know anything about Parkinsons. I first noticed a slight twitch in my left hand, finger and thumb, which became pill rolling. We attended a lot of sports events and I would lose my balance in the moving crowd. I then started seeing a neurologist. I started falling a lot when losing my balance and had a hard time walking normal. I finally froze up in the doorway at church. I told my Neuro and he said that he now knew that I had Parkinsons. Started me on drugs and I got better right away.

Comment from: RedSky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I am a 55 year old female that just found out I have Parkinson's, but I have been having signs of it for years, tremors, depression, body weakness. ECT. I honestly don't think my doctor was reading the signs because of my gender and age. A few years ago I had my shoulder lock up on me and I was sent to a P.T since x-rays didn't show any physical damage. My shaking was getting worse and I began falling. Only when my speech became so bad that it brought concern to my dentist was Parkinson's even considered. He phoned my doctor with his concerns about my shaking and balance problems. By this time I was forgoing shots in the back of my neck for back and neck pain to which once again I was sent to a P.T (although x-rays showed no damage) I was told I had a few spurs which were most likely causing the pain. Here I was feeling like my whole body was falling apart and doctor could not find anything wrong, maybe in was all in my head? My doctor even seemed annoyed with me and things just kept progressing and I just kept it to myself, why bother going through testing and them finding nothing? Well, it was after my second P.T called my doctor about the weakness in my legs and arms, by this time I have developed a gait in my walk and I fell more frequently. Only then did my doctor send me to a specialist and it was found that I had Parkinson's, and that I had had it for awhile. I think because I was a woman that my signs and symptoms weren't taken seriously and therefor left untreated for so long.

Comment from: intrepid, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I am 56 years old and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease after four years of decreasing mobility to the point of having family dress me. One of my first symptoms was the lost of my sense of smell. Experiencing the beautiful aroma of a rose is no longer something to look forward to.

Comment from: DGBridgers, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

My husband, age 80, has just been diagnosed with Parkinsonism. It took a while and several doctors (2 were neurologists) to make the diagnosis. He has all the symptoms except the tremors. Looking back I can now understand what was happening to him over the last 2 years. He was falling (backwards) developed humped posture, slow movements. The last fall that fractured his hip was what brought out the PD question when he had to go to therapy and they indicated that his body was very rigid. He has been in skilled care facility since February and is now on Sinemet. He has been on it for 2 days and we are hopeful.

Comment from: sarahco, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

My early symptoms started at age 16. I had tremors in hands and legs, and stiffness which made it impossible to move.

Comment from: photoman, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

When I look back I am now noticing the signs of Parkinson's disease. For about a month suddenly the symptoms worsened. I am not official diagnosed but will be going to the neurologist in 3 days to get official tests done. I know in my heart it is Parkinson's. I just turned 28 and read that people in the older years develop Parkinson's. At the moment I am just trying to process this information because I just saw my doctor about an hour ago.

Comment from: Umrish , 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My mother is now 73 years old. About 10 years ago, she was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. She is having stiffness and finding it difficult to walk. She tends to fall. Now, another problem that we are facing is that she is losing her memory day by day.

Parkinson's Disease - Treatments Question: What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis Question: At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?