Patient Comments: Parkinson's Disease - Symptoms

At what age did Parkinson's symptoms first appear, and what are they?

Comment from: RedSky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I am a 55 year old female that just found out I have Parkinson's, but I have been having signs of it for years, tremors, depression, body weakness. ECT. I honestly don't think my doctor was reading the signs because of my gender and age. A few years ago I had my shoulder lock up on me and I was sent to a P.T since x-rays didn't show any physical damage. My shaking was getting worse and I began falling. Only when my speech became so bad that it brought concern to my dentist was Parkinson's even considered. He phoned my doctor with his concerns about my shaking and balance problems. By this time I was forgoing shots in the back of my neck for back and neck pain to which once again I was sent to a P.T (although x-rays showed no damage) I was told I had a few spurs which were most likely causing the pain. Here I was feeling like my whole body was falling apart and doctor could not find anything wrong, maybe in was all in my head? My doctor even seemed annoyed with me and things just kept progressing and I just kept it to myself, why bother going through testing and them finding nothing? Well, it was after my second P.T called my doctor about the weakness in my legs and arms, by this time I have developed a gait in my walk and I fell more frequently. Only then did my doctor send me to a specialist and it was found that I had Parkinson's, and that I had had it for awhile. I think because I was a woman that my signs and symptoms weren't taken seriously and therefor left untreated for so long.

Comment from: intrepid, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I am 56 years old and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease after four years of decreasing mobility to the point of having family dress me. One of my first symptoms was the lost of my sense of smell. Experiencing the beautiful aroma of a rose is no longer something to look forward to.

Comment from: DGBridgers, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: August 04

My husband, age 80, has just been diagnosed with Parkinsonism. It took a while and several doctors (2 were neurologists) to make the diagnosis. He has all the symptoms except the tremors. Looking back I can now understand what was happening to him over the last 2 years. He was falling (backwards) developed humped posture, slow movements. The last fall that fractured his hip was what brought out the PD question when he had to go to therapy and they indicated that his body was very rigid. He has been in skilled care facility since February and is now on Sinemet. He has been on it for 2 days and we are hopeful.

Comment from: Umrish , 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

My mother is now 73 years old. About 10 years ago, she was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. She is having stiffness and finding it difficult to walk. She tends to fall. Now, another problem that we are facing is that she is losing her memory day by day.

Comment from: DLPD, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I began to have a lack of energy and strength at about 53 years of age. Next came legs that would not do what I wanted them to, such as climb stairs. My balance was also a problem. I was first diagnosed with Parkinson's disease when I was 62. My main symptoms were muscle weakness and a tendency to fall. They continue to be my greatest problems along with lack of judgment, forgetfulness, and anxiety.

Comment from: PeruvianPatient, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I will be 61 years old next month and was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease 13 months ago. My main symptom was and still is rigidity or stiffness of my right-hand side. I also have some difficulty writing. The original diagnosis was confirmed three months later by a second neurologist. I am on one tablet of pramipexole (Sifrol), 0.25 mg three times a day. Four months ago my neurologist added Biperiden, 2 mg. Now, I take half a tablet of Biperiden three times a day. Since the original diagnosis, my stiffness has slowly increased.

Comment from: Pandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at the age of 37. My father had it, so I don't know if it's my luck or heredity. My first problem was fine motor skills, especially writing. After five years of waiting, I saw a neurologist who confirmed my fears. I was immediately started on Sinemet. All of this was 22 years ago. I will be 59 in a few days. I have had good luck with the Sinemet and other meds like Mirapex, but I am extremely tired now. I have also noticed cognitive decline, but that is also related to a now-removed brain tumor. I also have had type 1 diabetes for 30 years.

Parkinson's Disease - Treatments Question: What do you do to treat and manage your Parkinson's disease?
Parkinson's Disease - Diagnosis Question: At what stage was your Parkinson's disease diagnosed?
Parkinson's Disease - Prognosis Question: Parkinson's is not a fatal disease. What is the prognosis for you, a friend, or relative?