Patient Comments: Panic Attacks - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with panic attacks?

Comment from: writingirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I started to feel ill in May, stomach bloating, loss of appetite, gas that would not pass, narrowing of stools, and some bouts of constipation. I have had a colonoscopy that revealed a narrowing and a skin tag, but no biopsies were taken, since I was on Coumadin, but hadn't taken it for 10 days. Symptoms continued and an EGD was done, which showed acid reflux and a small hiatal hernia. I was put on Zantac for that and Amitiza for the irritable bowel syndrome. I tried gluten free foods and no big difference. My celiac disease was negative. So with all the food no-no's, I am losing precious weight and am down to 121 and am 5 ft 8 inches. I can't afford to lose more. I have tried Ensure Plus but can only drink it once a day due to the content of vitamin K which affects my INR (international normalized ratio).

Comment from: Natalie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

When I was a very healthy 42 year old I needed some big dental fillings done and, terrified, I asked if there was anything to relax me. I was offered the green whistle containing an analgesic called methoxyflurane which worked well on the first occasion. I returned to the dentist three weeks later to have more fillings done and accepted relaxation treatment with the green whistle again. I began feeling very unwell over the next 12 hours. My health quickly deteriorated and I presented at emergency with acute and severe liver and kidney failure and was very lucky to survive and receive a liver transplant within 48 hours. Liver serum was sent from here in Perth, Western Australia to Maryland University in the US and re-exposure to methoxyflurane was determined to be the cause.

Comment from: my experience, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 50 years old businessman. When I was 36 years old, one night I suddenly felt like I may die immediately and lost my mental control with fear and grief. The next day I was taken to the hospital, and the diagnostic report says I am suffering with panic/phobia disorder. The doctor prescribed me some medicine (Trika & Diamine Plus). After that I can't go alone anywhere, I can't even stay at home alone. I thought my life is at an ending stage. Then I started meditation with art of thinking therapy regularly even sometimes middle at night. I have started taking Trika only in morning and told myself that everybody has to die one day or other. Now I am almost ok.

Comment from: Going crazy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 42 years old and I am new to panic attacks. For me it starts with dizzy spells then I develop chest and stomach pains. I have twice gone to hospital thinking I was having a heart attack but my heart is fine, I felt so ashamed but they took good care of me and I felt better by the end of the day. My doctor gave me metoprolol to help with the racing heart and it works well but it does not stop panic attacks so I changed doctors, but she suggested not to take medicine and work out my own way of coping. Well I don't know how to cope so now I am stuck at home every day too scared to drive or even go to the shop; this is not how I want to live but will do my best.

Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your panic attacks?