Patient Comments: Panic Attacks - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with panic attacks?

Comment from: my experience, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 50 years old businessman. When I was 36 years old, one night I suddenly felt like I may die immediately and lost my mental control with fear and grief. The next day I was taken to the hospital, and the diagnostic report says I am suffering with panic/phobia disorder. The doctor prescribed me some medicine (Trika & Diamine Plus). After that I can't go alone anywhere, I can't even stay at home alone. I thought my life is at an ending stage. Then I started meditation with art of thinking therapy regularly even sometimes middle at night. I have started taking Trika only in morning and told myself that everybody has to die one day or other. Now I am almost ok.

Comment from: Going crazy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 42 years old and I am new to panic attacks. For me it starts with dizzy spells then I develop chest and stomach pains. I have twice gone to hospital thinking I was having a heart attack but my heart is fine, I felt so ashamed but they took good care of me and I felt better by the end of the day. My doctor gave me metoprolol to help with the racing heart and it works well but it does not stop panic attacks so I changed doctors, but she suggested not to take medicine and work out my own way of coping. Well I don't know how to cope so now I am stuck at home every day too scared to drive or even go to the shop; this is not how I want to live but will do my best.

Comment from: Vickie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I started having panic attacks a year ago. I went to the Emergency Room because for a few days my heart was pounding and I felt lightheaded. The doctor did blood work and found I have an underactive thyroid. Then I started to feel like I was having a heart attack and thought about dying and I would get real nervous. Went to the Emergency Room one day while working and was told I have been having panic attacks. Now a year later after taking Wellbutrin and Celexa along with Synthroid, every once in a while I get the heart pounding and heavy breathing.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: August 12

I had anxiety attacks since I was 14. When it started, I didn't know what was going on with me and I was really scared. I was young and I thought that something was wrong with me. I've seen many doctors with my mom to be diagnosed but none of them helped me figure out that it was anxiety attacks. Because of my blurred vision, I thought I was going blind and I've seen an eyes specialist. I soon became hypochondriac. I have symptoms like shaking, dizziness, pressure in my chest, heart pounding, sensation of unreal, crying, huge fear of dying or passing out. I thought that each of my symptoms were because of a health problem and that no doctors could diagnose it because it was a rare illness. I realized all by myself what my problem when I knew that those symptoms wouldn't make me die. I'm now 19 and it started again lately because of stress. I feel like my physical symptoms of my anxiety are always growing and that I have new ones every time a I do an attack. My fear those days is having a stroke. I always check if my face is alright and if I'm not paralyzed. It annoys me so much but the idea of having a health problem just won't go out of my head. I know it's irrational, but I'm too scared to let it go. I know that I'm not the only one, and I have to get myself together.

Comment from: nutsnputs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I`m 54 years old. This last winter I began having these attacks. I had shortness of breath, a feeling that if I were to be still or lay down that I would surely die, severe claustrophobic feelings, and a feeling like you get when you start the first fall on a rollercoaster... only it would last for hours and not go away. At first I thought they were respiratory, induced from the cold weather, mold exposure, or perhaps even CO2 induced. When all of these were ruled out, I thought that I must simply be losing my mind. Now I think they may be caused from extended stress. I am still in the diagnostic stage. I`ve been prescribed trazodone for now, we`ll see how it works.

Comment from: angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

The other day, I took one Wellbutrin SR in the morning and that night, I had panic attack. I did not know what to do, I thought I was dying! It turns out that it subsided after 30 minutes. Luckily, I had some Ativan. That helped me a lot and helped me to sleep. The next day, I had another, except with this one, I decided to go the emergency room. There, they did an EKG, which turned out normal. They listened to my heart, took my blood pressure and heart rate, and everything was fine there also. When the doctor listened to my heart, he said it was beating like it should. It turned out I was suffering from a mild panic attack so they gave me an Ativan, and that settled me down in a few minutes. They prescribed me Atarax for the panic and another doctor put back on Zoloft! No more Wellbutrin SR for me.

Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your panic attacks?