Patient Comments: Panic Attacks - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with panic attacks?

Comment from: Goldie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am 34 and started suffering from panic attacks 8 years ago. My father also suffers from anxiety since as far as I can remember. Have been off and on meds like Paxil. They seemed to help but had to discontinue in pregnancy. Now, my anxiety/panic is totally out of control. I have attacks during the day and also they wake me up at night and then I can't fall back asleep for hours. My symptoms are very severe they include all textbook symptoms and last for hours. I try to cope but it really does seem to be controlling my life. I eat right, exercise, I don't drink or smoke and I am of normal weight, but still nothing helps me. I think I am going to call my Dr. and go back on the meds, even though I hate to have to take any sort of medication.

Comment from: geb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had my first panic attack when I was 15, after my sister died. Then I went for about five years without having one. Then I started having them again. I am now 48. I am so sick of these attacks. I do not like taking meds. I do think that keeping busy and exercise works. But I still have problems with driving far away or going on vacations. My children say I will only travel within my bubble. I feel like an idiot. I need to know where the Fire departments are when I'm going anywhere just so I know if I have a bad enough panic attack I can get help if I can't breathe. And to me that's crazy, but it's how I feel. I would love to be normal.

Comment from: christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was sexually abused as a child and not until adulthood did I start having panic attacks. I believe it has to do with the abuse, but I'm not positive. I'm also going through menopause and I've heard that women sometimes have panic attacks at this stage of life. I was taking valium at night to sleep, but I am now on alprazolam. I took the first one last night, because I had a panic attack out of nowhere. I usually get lightheaded and feel like I can't concentrate on the person who is talking to me. It feels like an out of body experience. And, then, my heart starts racing, like it's going to jump out of my chest. Usually, if I take deep breaths and lie down, I feel better within about 10 minutes. Last night was the first time I took Alprazolam. I don't really like it because I woke up this morning feeling drowsy and super hungry. So frustrated!

Comment from: lisa moore, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have just started experiencing panic attacks. I have pounding chest pain, tingling, and numbness throughout my entire body. My head and body gets all warm. I also experience the feeling that I'm going to pass out. I try not to think of having the panic attack but I start thinking of it beyond my control and then it triggers the panic attack. My doctor prescribed me 2mg Xanax which I take 2 times a day and I also take tolonol which is 1mg once a day to slow my heart rate. I'm 34 years old and I have never experienced this before. It scares the crap out of me and I don't know how to calm myself down. I have already been to the er and they put me on a heart monitor. Which spikes to 157 bpm and my bp was 134 over 103. I'm afraid I'm going to die all the time now because of these panic attacks. I also have a tumor on my pituitary gland and hypothyroidism.

Comment from: Kate, 35-44 Female Published: December 14

I am 40 years old and had my first panic attack last year. It started with a racing/pounding heart, chest pain, tingling down my left arm and an unimaginable fear that I was going to die from a heart attack. I have been to the ER 3 times and visited a heart rhythm specialist. All the tests appear to be fine, but I spend a lot of days worrying that the doctors are wrong. I keep thinking what if I have a heart attack and die. Sometimes I experience warm flush and a "funny feeling", then nausea followed by a bowel movement with chills and terrible shaking that wracks my whole body, my limbs tense up and it is hard to relax them. I've only had these severe attacks 3 times in the last year, but they are crippling. What is worse is that I experience mini attacks too, and I just keep waiting for "The Big One" to hit. I've decided to seek professional help.

Comment from: Michae, 35-44 Male Published: November 17

I have suffered anxiety on and off since the mid-1990's most times I manage ok. Just recently I have suffered a spate of fast heart pounding along with creepy cold chills up and down arms with some hyperventilating. I had it checked and the hospital and docs found everything ok. My heart is fine. I found an article on simple steps to help panic attacks. Where1/ try to take some easy calm breathes easier said than done but when you feel came enough number2/ say out loud in your brain STOP. And reassure yourself that's it's panic that causing this and will pass in 2 to 3 minutes. By telling yourself to stop your interrupting the negative flow that something must be wrong with your heart or head. And then the adrenaline will also stop which causes the sensations.3/ use some coping words and sentence to replace negative. Like the panic or fear is causing my heart to pound it will be over in 2 to 3 minutes if I relax. It really works because over the last few weeks I was getting panic nearly every 30 minutes and with this simple technique I have reduced it down to maybe feeling a bit anxious a couple times. It takes practice and I am getting better. Don't be afraid to talk to a practitioner like a psych as well. Any info and understanding can make your life feel much better.

Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your panic attacks?