- Just a Sore Throat or Strep Slideshow
- Take the Strep Throat Infection Quiz!
- Infectious Mononucleosis Slideshow
- Patient Comments: PANDAS - Treatment
- Patient Comments: PANDAS - Symptoms and Sign
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections (PANDAS) facts
- What is PANDAS?
- Is PANDAS common?
- What is the history of PANDAS?
- What causes PANDAS?
- What are symptoms and signs of PANDAS?
- How is PANDAS diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for PANDAS?
- What is the prognosis of PANDAS?
- Can PANDAS be prevented?
Can PANDAS be prevented?
For those children diagnosed with PANDAS, there is some evidence that prophylactic antibiotics may play a role in preventing the development of strep infections and therefore the worsening of symptoms. More studies need to be performed to be sure that the preventive treatment is truly effective. Surgical removal of the tonsils and adenoids has not shown to be effective in preventing PANDAS.
Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease
Singer, H., et al. "Moving from PANDAS to CANS." Journal of Pediatrics 160.5 May 2012: 725-731.
Swedo, S.E., et al. "From research subgroup to clinical syndrome: Modifying the PANDAS criteria to describe PANS." Pediatric & Therapeutics 2.2 (2012).