Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Treatments

How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?

Comment from: ALReneau, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had an endoscopy for esophageal dilation on 11-19-14. Then the next day I was having extreme pain in my abdomen while I was at work. I chalked it up to the procedure. When I drank a sip of water in the late afternoon and the pain dropped me to my knees and made me cry, I began to believe that this pain was not in the normal parameters. My doctor told me to go to the emergency room to have a CAT scan of my stomach. Well, the CAT scan and blood work determined that I was having an acute pancreatitis attack. They started me on Dilaudid which caused more nausea. I was admitted for 5 days. Food was withheld for 3 days and began a clear liquid diet. The doctors were not able to determine why I had the pancreatitis attack since I did not fall into the main three categories. I am home now and my stomach still aches when I drink anything, but I am faithful that this will get better soon.

Comment from: Brenda / Texas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was admitted to the hospital two weeks ago for acute pancreatitis. I had the first acute attack in 2008. I was on IV antibiotics for 4 1/2 days. Two CT scans and 1 MRI later, I still do not know what caused it. I don"t drink, don"t smoke and never had high cholesterol. My triglycerides in the hospital were 71. I am supposed to go to the gastroenterologist in a few weeks for scope. I hope I don"t ever have this again.

Comment from: Gem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was hospitalized 2 months ago with acute pancreatitis, caused by drinking, only on weekends, hard liquor and wine. It was the worst pain I've ever had in my life, and vomiting. I was in the hospital for 4 days, nothing to eat or drink, on IV and treated with Dilaudid. I am feeling pretty good now but very tired all the time, the doctor says it takes 6 months for pancreas to heal.

Comment from: Chi Chi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Have had this diagnosis since mid-1990. I have had extensive abdominal surgery because of a small bowel obstruction, resulting in a fistula. The standard treatment was admission to the hospital, blood work to confirm the diagnosis, IV fluids, pain medication and Phenergan (promethazine) (50 mg) to control the nausea. All foods were withheld for 48 hours. On a few admissions, they inserted a nasal gastric tube to control the vomiting.

Comment from: LJS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Two months ago I was hospitalized for intense upper abdominal pain. It felt as though someone had taken a sharp hook under my ribcage and radiated down my left side. I was diagnosed with exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis, which I have no family history of. I don't drink or take any of the medications that cause it. I was immediately hospitalized and was given Dilaudid 2mg every 2 hours, and a fentanyl 100mg patch for my entire stay. They tried to feed me liquids on day 10, 15, 24, but it just made things worse. After 34 days in the hospital I was released on a clear liquid diet and it took me a month at home to finally be able to eat a healthy diet.

Comment from: saha, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 30

My sister has acute pancreatitis with kidney failure. She has a 2 months old baby which was born through Caesarian surgery. Now her kidney is not functioning and her urine level is about 50 ml a day. She has already taken hemodialysis 5 times, but her condition isn't improving.

Comment from: Maya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I suffered with acute pancreatitis on October 2013, and was under ventilation for 5 days. My condition was life threatening. But I recovered after 21 days. Now I am taking less fat food and ok.

Pancreatitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: If known, please describe the cause of your case of pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic pancreatitis.