Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Treatments

How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?

Comment from: Brenda / Texas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was admitted to the hospital two weeks ago for acute pancreatitis. I had the first acute attack in 2008. I was on IV antibiotics for 4 1/2 days. Two CT scans and 1 MRI later, I still do not know what caused it. I don"t drink, don"t smoke and never had high cholesterol. My triglycerides in the hospital were 71. I am supposed to go to the gastroenterologist in a few weeks for scope. I hope I don"t ever have this again.

Comment from: Gem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was hospitalized 2 months ago with acute pancreatitis, caused by drinking, only on weekends, hard liquor and wine. It was the worst pain I've ever had in my life, and vomiting. I was in the hospital for 4 days, nothing to eat or drink, on IV and treated with Dilaudid. I am feeling pretty good now but very tired all the time, the doctor says it takes 6 months for pancreas to heal.

Comment from: Chi Chi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Have had this diagnosis since mid-1990. I have had extensive abdominal surgery because of a small bowel obstruction, resulting in a fistula. The standard treatment was admission to the hospital, blood work to confirm the diagnosis, IV fluids, pain medication and Phenergan (promethazine) (50 mg) to control the nausea. All foods were withheld for 48 hours. On a few admissions, they inserted a nasal gastric tube to control the vomiting.

Comment from: LJS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

Two months ago I was hospitalized for intense upper abdominal pain. It felt as though someone had taken a sharp hook under my ribcage and radiated down my left side. I was diagnosed with exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis, which I have no family history of. I don't drink or take any of the medications that cause it. I was immediately hospitalized and was given Dilaudid 2mg every 2 hours, and a fentanyl 100mg patch for my entire stay. They tried to feed me liquids on day 10, 15, 24, but it just made things worse. After 34 days in the hospital I was released on a clear liquid diet and it took me a month at home to finally be able to eat a healthy diet.

Comment from: Cher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had severe stomach and back pain and was vomiting. I went to the emergency room at the hospital and was immediately put on IV. I was not allowed anything to eat or drink for two days. I was extremely dehydrated and my blood pressure had dropped significantly. I had various blood tests, a CAT scan and an ultrasound. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. I do not drink and did not have gallstones. The cause for this attack is unknown.

Comment from: Jane, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I think I have pancreatitis. I had blistering pain between shoulder blades for about a week that's gotten worse. I went to the hospital and they only seemed to check my heart and spine. But I had severe nausea / sharp pain through left chest and back, spreading to or from my upper belly and the only position I could assume without feeling horrific pain was standing or leaning forward. I am afraid I'll have to go back if it doesn't settle.

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Hopeful, try using a heating pad (low setting) on your abdomen and press gently with a pillow. That gives me relief from pain as it helps to decrease the inflammation of the pancreas. Also, acupuncture has been extremely helpful in preventing the inflammation rather than just dealing w/the inflammation. Acupuncture takes a while to work, but it does help a lot. I'm very sorry that you are so young and living w/pain. Best of luck, girl! Don't behave, give them hell!

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience Question: What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: Did you have gallstones or drink alcohol? What was the cause of your pancreatitis?