Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?

Comment from: Cassie93, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am a 22 year old female, diagnosed with severe acute necrotizing pancreatitis, and developed a pseudocyst in June. I had been feeling a weird stinging sensation near the left side of my ribcage for several months prior. It was until it got to a point where I felt constantly bloated and like a gas bubble was stuck under that side. Unfortunately x-rays of my intestines didn't show anything. So when it got bad I never knew what hit me. I was under the assumption I had an ulcer. I became ill, barely able to concentrate, very nauseous, and had an aching pain passing through the left side of my back. By the time I got to the emergency room. I was dry heaving and throwing up. My triglycerides were the cause as they were at 12,000. It was found with blood tests and a CT scan. Additionally, I suffered a pulmonary embolism, two blood clots in my arm, swelling all over, and pneumonia. The pulmonary was most likely due to smoking and taking contraceptives, plus the contraceptives were also found to be triglyceride raising. I was placed on a feeding tube, twice, and treated with insulin. I currently take about 12 pills a day including Creon. The fluid caused my heart some distress so I'm on atorvastatin. I now keep sugar to a minimum and eat low fat meals. I was never a heavy drinker or anything, but I had the right genes for both high triglycerides and cholesterol.

Comment from: lopsy49, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have severe atrophic chronic pancreatitis. I think if you had it you would know. It's so painful, you just can't stand the pain; excruciating. I've had this for several years and it took 8 years just to diagnose. Mine came on suddenly. I was a bit of a drinker, worse than that, I didn't eat, then drank, causing the problem. This is what the technician who was giving me the MRCP (magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography) told me. I was on lots of painkillers but they took over 1/2 of those away when it became a political football. Not fair, I wish I was dead every night. I truly do. Days are better, but I'm skinny, my skin is thin and dry, and I've developed diabetes. It's horrible. For those out there who need a diagnosis, ask for an endoscopy. That will tell. Blood testing works too unless you've had the problem for a long time. Then your lipase levels go down instead of up. I am also experiencing a cramping sensation in my mid gut.

Comment from: RachaelS, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had pancreatitis all my life but only diagnosed about 2 months ago. Living in constant pain, I had a stomach tube for 5 years which stole my childhood from me. I can't drink alcohol, can't eat fatty or high carb foods. Pretty depressed from the constant pain. Turns out the cause of my pancreatitis is one in a billion and hasn't been seen in the last 50 years (according to my doctor). Yippee for me. Can't wait to find out more and what they are going to do to help me. Basically I had every symptom going; extreme pain, vomiting, lack of appetite, nausea, everything under the sun.

Comment from: Curly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I woke up and started vomiting immediately. My stomach just did not feel right. The vomiting would not stop and diarrhea began. The pain in my abdomen was getting worse and worse. I thought my appendix had exploded or I had an ovary stuck in my fallopian tube or something. I had trouble breathing, the vomiting continued, and the pain was getting worse and worse. I soaked through two thermal shirts. Finally I just lay down on the bathroom floor, feeling like I was going to pass out. My husband and son helped me get into our van. I couldn't stand up straight, the pain was so bad. I entered the emergency room, had x-rays, CT scans, ultrasound, and blood tests. Bottom line, acute pancreatitis with lipase level at 30,000! I just got home today alter 12 days in the hospital. What an experience!

Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: If known, please describe the cause of your case of pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic pancreatitis.