Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?

Comment from: barb101356, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was feeling sick to my stomach for at least a couple of months. I had pains in my middle abdomen, but ignored it thinking it was just something I ate. One morning I woke up and I thought I was having a heart attack. I ignored that as well. WI went to work that night. However by that time the pain was in my chest, my back and under my left armpit. The next morning the pain was so bad in my middle abdomen that I thought I was going to die. I went to the emergency room. I was admitted after a couple of hours. My amylase and lipase levels were sky high. I had a CT on my abdomen, sure enough it was acute pancreatitis. I ate nothing but Popsicle, Jell-O, and chicken broth. Plus I had IV drip. This is not something that should be ignored. I never want to go through that again, but I probably will. It can be a recurring problem.

Comment from: DivineDiva, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

My symptom of pancreatitis is pain, it's like a knife, just the sharp tip being pushed in and out left side of belly. The spot or area feels warm but I don't necessarily have a fever all the time. I feel full most of time but even when hungry my stomach feels like there is something in that is sour, most of the time I felt nauseous. I'd walk a bit different as well I call it the pain walk. I enjoy a cocktail occasionally, and never drink to get drunk. Also I do recall doctor stating my cholesterol was a little high once before.

Comment from: Fish, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My symptoms of pancreatitis are being full after eating small portion of meal, abdominal distention, poor appetite, and stopping eating.

Comment from: CMFB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I went in to have my gall bladder removed, and then a month later I was still in pain. I then had an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography) and they put stents in my ducts. I went in on Friday, then on Monday they took them out sent me home. I have the worst pain, almost like someone stabbing me with a knife. I am on hydrocodone and that only works for a short time. I can't eat without having pain so I eat very little or nothing at all. I drink lots of water and juice, and I quit drinking beer. I don't know what to do. I work 4 to 5 hours a day. I go to bed in pain, usually crying, and wake up in pain every day. This pain started over 8 years ago, I have been dealing with this for that long. I drank moderately and gave it up altogether.

Comment from: Dhays17, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I was recently diagnosed with pancreatitis. I knew something was wrong with my body when I suddenly felt a very sharp pain running down from my lower chest to my left side (stomach area). The next day the left part of my back started to experience the sharp pain as well. This is where I absolutely knew my body was telling me something. Three and a half days later I went to the medical clinic, drew blood, and took a urine sample, an x-ray and an ultra sound. They diagnosed me with pancreatitis due to consumption of alcohol. This past year I have drank way too much alcohol and I'm a pretty small guy. If anyone out there feels any of these symptoms, don't wait. See a doctor right away!

Comment from: motherof4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I am having pain in my right side from front to back. I had my gallbladder removed on November 16th 2013, and the pain started all of a sudden this morning after I had a bowel movement.

Comment from: g, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

My pancreatitis started after a sore throat with acid reflux. That eventually subsided and a pain started just after being given 2 amoxicillin to be taken four times a day for a week. I have chronic pain from my pancreas and I know it was the antibiotics that caused it.

Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: If known, please describe the cause of your case of pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic pancreatitis.