Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?

Comment from: RachaelS, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had pancreatitis all my life but only diagnosed about 2 months ago. Living in constant pain, I had a stomach tube for 5 years which stole my childhood from me. I can't drink alcohol, can't eat fatty or high carb foods. Pretty depressed from the constant pain. Turns out the cause of my pancreatitis is one in a billion and hasn't been seen in the last 50 years (according to my doctor). Yippee for me. Can't wait to find out more and what they are going to do to help me. Basically I had every symptom going; extreme pain, vomiting, lack of appetite, nausea, everything under the sun.

Comment from: Curly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I woke up and started vomiting immediately. My stomach just did not feel right. The vomiting would not stop and diarrhea began. The pain in my abdomen was getting worse and worse. I thought my appendix had exploded or I had an ovary stuck in my fallopian tube or something. I had trouble breathing, the vomiting continued, and the pain was getting worse and worse. I soaked through two thermal shirts. Finally I just lay down on the bathroom floor, feeling like I was going to pass out. My husband and son helped me get into our van. I couldn't stand up straight, the pain was so bad. I entered the emergency room, had x-rays, CT scans, ultrasound, and blood tests. Bottom line, acute pancreatitis with lipase level at 30,000! I just got home today alter 12 days in the hospital. What an experience!

Comment from: LaVerne, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 08

My experience started with achalasia, a condition which caused me to be unable to swallow properly. It took a while and many tests to diagnose but treatment was as follows; stretching the esophagus and injecting Botox into the muscle which should open when food enters the month but did not. This relaxed the muscle for about six months or a bit longer and then I would have another shot. As time passed I was terribly bothered by hiatal hernia which I had for many years. Eventually the pain was so severe and frequent that I had surgery to repair that and to permanently open the offending muscle. The food would go directly to my stomach. About 3 years after the surgery I began to have what I now call pancreatic attacks but did not know at the time. My internal medicine doctor referred me to a surgeon believing it to be gall stones. However, I went back to my gastroenterologist who discovered some type of blockage in the duct between the pancreas and gall bladder. Several tests did not indicate the nature of the blockage. A surgical procedure was performed to correct the blockage. It turned out that the duct had shriveled and closed. To correct this the doctor permanently opened the duct. That night I had a severe pancreatic attack and was admitted back to the hospital. Several other things ensued including a urinary tract infection, congestive heart failure, a potassium level of 1, high liver enzymes and a few other things. All of those things were normalized, but I continue to have occasional pancreas attacks with classic symptoms. They always follow the pattern of pain under the right breast bone and in the back. Occasionally I have to vomit. Then I feel better. I cannot lie down when these occur. It is interesting that the pain will continue for several hours and suddenly subside no matter what I have tried to stop it. Sometimes they are quite frequent and other times they are about a month apart. There doesn't seem to be any specific cause and treatment so far does not seem successful.

Comment from: barb101356, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I was feeling sick to my stomach for at least a couple of months. I had pains in my middle abdomen, but ignored it thinking it was just something I ate. One morning I woke up and I thought I was having a heart attack. I ignored that as well. WI went to work that night. However by that time the pain was in my chest, my back and under my left armpit. The next morning the pain was so bad in my middle abdomen that I thought I was going to die. I went to the emergency room. I was admitted after a couple of hours. My amylase and lipase levels were sky high. I had a CT on my abdomen, sure enough it was acute pancreatitis. I ate nothing but Popsicle, Jell-O, and chicken broth. Plus I had IV drip. This is not something that should be ignored. I never want to go through that again, but I probably will. It can be a recurring problem.

Comment from: DivineDiva, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

My symptom of pancreatitis is pain, it's like a knife, just the sharp tip being pushed in and out left side of belly. The spot or area feels warm but I don't necessarily have a fever all the time. I feel full most of time but even when hungry my stomach feels like there is something in that is sour, most of the time I felt nauseous. I'd walk a bit different as well I call it the pain walk. I enjoy a cocktail occasionally, and never drink to get drunk. Also I do recall doctor stating my cholesterol was a little high once before.

Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: If known, please describe the cause of your case of pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic pancreatitis.