Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?

Comment from: Navyman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I got sick one evening at home, and dealt with the sweating, shakes, and pain for 3 days before my wife took me to the emergency room. I was immediately admitted and stayed there 5 days. My blood pressure upon arrival was 84/58 and I was having trouble standing. The pain in my abdomen was horrific! They hooked me up to a drip for pain management (morphine, I think) and started to hydrate me. I had been a heavy drinker for 10 years or so. I drank, generally, 10 to 15 beers a day, not proud of that. Anyway, I got feeling a bit better after the 5 days, and they let me go home. I worked for the next month to get my strength back. Now, I"m 2 years clean and sober, and I generally feel great, but I"m having some very familiar, very light pains in my abdomen right along my rib cage. I sure hope I don"t have another problem with pancreatitis, but I"m back to the doctor next week. Thanks for everyone for the stories. I actually convinced myself I"m not going to die tonight, anyway.

Comment from: Cosworth 3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

Today's date is 19/04/2014. I am 54. I"ve had chronic pancreatitis for 4 to 5 years now and have been really ill with it. The back/front and both sides, pain is sometimes so severe that standing, sitting, or lying down are not options. I have had treatment called "celiac block" now 3 times and it really doesn"t help a lot. The medication I take are dihydrocodeine 30 mg as required, as a painkiller (I need 3 for it to work) and Creon 10,000 for digestion and both appear to have a little effect. I might add that the cause was long term alcohol use, which I still drink although not like I used to, and I still smoke which personally I don"t think has any effect on the pancreatitis! I have lost approximately 3 stone in weight and had a pseudocyst which burst and put me in hospital. My sympathy goes out to all sufferers of this wicked disease!

Comment from: adhregina, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

After 2 years, back in 1998, I finally was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. My lower back pain often was unbearable and pain killers relieved it a little. I was discharging bile, fatty, gold in color and it stained the toilet. Relief only came when I had a large discharge. I was prescribed pancreatic enzymes for digestion, pain killers, and water pills for my distended stomach, and a few others. Tests had revealed that my portal veins were thrombosed, causing my pancreas to at first be acute. Shortly thereafter it went chronic. Also, scarring had occurred in my liver, thus cirrhosis. I having suffered with this for nearly 8 years now; only wish that I be pain free.

Comment from: RBlair, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My pancreatitis was 2 years ago. I was having "stomach/bowel" issues (diarrhea and unbelievable gas) especially with fatty foods. I had an appointment with my doctor the next week. It started as a stomach ache and felt like I was going to vomit. I thought I had the start of a flu. The pain got worse fast and we rushed to the emergency room. They gave me morphine; it didn"t really touch the pain! I can"t imagine ever going through that type of pain again. I was in the ICU for 3 days and in the hospital a total of two weeks. I developed a pseudocyst and a blood clot in my stomach. My pancreatitis was caused by a gallstone. Eventually I went back for a week after another episode and had my gallbladder out. And I had another week with a fever, unknown cause. I lost 30 lbs in 2 months. I"m glad to say I have no issues now, except I am an insulin dependent diabetic. But life is good and I am doing fine with my new "normal'. Learnings - if you or a loved one has any stomach/bowel issues get checked out by a doctor.

Comment from: Butterfly, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have pain starting at top of rib cage and throughout the whole belly. It"s a constant sharp pain. It does not seem to be better or worse at any time of day or under any specific circumstances. I have no fever. I have been sick with this pancreatitis for over 3 weeks. I get some relief with a heating pad.

Comment from: catlover2628, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had felt a sharp knife-like pain in my upper abdomen/stomach and was throwing up constantly for 12 hours. The pain was so severe that it traveled throughout my whole entire spine and shoulders. I couldn't stand up at all. I eventually called and went to the hospital and they gave me morphine, and told me no food or water for 4 days. But my lipase (lipase is a protein (enzyme) released by the pancreas into the small intestine. It helps the body absorb fat) was so high, at 9,000 that I stayed there for a week and a half. I still need to avoid alcohol and large amounts of fatty foods because I can still get small episodes.

Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: If known, please describe the cause of your case of pancreatitis.
Pancreatitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic pancreatitis.