Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?

Published: July 24

The cause of my pancreatitis is still under investigation. I almost never drink, and both a CT scan and MRI showed no gallstones in the duct (my gall bladder was laparoscopically removed in January). I had previously had several esophageal spasms severe enough to take me to the emergency room. These spasms had been relieved and prevented by dicyclomine, an anticholinergic. This time I had a very tight feeling in my abdomen that wouldn't go away, and that awakened me. My internist had prescribed Donnatal as an alternative to dicyclomine, and I thought the Donnatal was what made me begin to vomit violently and keep retching even when my stomach was emptied. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and admitted same day. I spent 4 days there and am still on antibiotics (Flagyl & Cipro) to prevent the inflammation from developing into an infection. I am scheduled to see a gastroenterologist for follow-up.

Published: June 23

I had increasing back pain for a few days and general malaise. I thought it was a kidney infection. I called my primary doctor and asked if he could see me or call me in antibiotics, but he told me to go to the ER. My co-workers thought it was silly to go for a kidney infection, but I had vomited once and the pain was getting a little more intense. I told the nurse I felt silly for being there, that I thought it was a UTI and that I had pain in my back on the left side and vomiting. They did a urine test and gave me some fluids and mild pain meds. Two hours later I was in extreme pain, could not stop vomiting and they came back and told me I had pancreatitis, and they were admitting me. As it turns out, I had sphincter of Oddi dysfunction causing the pancreatitis.

Comment from: cwhall, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have extreme pain and nausea because of pancreatitis. I gave up all fats, I don"t drink and I don"t have a gall bladder. I was told at one time that I had issues with my fallopian tubes, but now that I have gone through menopause, my doctor tells me it is related to my intestines.

Comment from: mongeau, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have back and stomach pain because of pancreatitis.

Comment from: Ed, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been on Januvia for Type 2 Diabetes for several years. I have recently had 2 attacks of chronic pancreatitis that sent me to the emergency room and several days of hospitalization. The diagnoses is that the Januvia is the cause.

Comment from: manohar, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 24

My wife had upper abdomen pain in October 2012 for few days and the pain got severe after some days. We took her to the hospital and she was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis.

Comment from: LISA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have been suffering with chronic pancreatitis for one year and gone to six different doctors with no relief from the pain. My pain is like a knife going into my lower breast bone that at times goes to my back and my upper stomach, nausea at times, pain increases after eating. Never had issues with constipation but now I do. I was told I have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) but do not take the medications for that because it causes great pain in the pancreas. This new doctor took me off Percocet and I live in constant pain and I have not found one doctor who has helped me, I just keep going from doctor to doctor. I've lost a lot of weight and eat mainly chicken noodle soup.

Comment from: Songofsiduri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have true recurrent idiopathic pancreatitis. After tests and more tests, the only possible trigger found was an abdominal wall muscle injury that caused bleeding and irritated my pancreas. Symptoms include nausea, weight loss, hypovolemia, malabsorption and fatigue. I have to retrain my digestive system to tolerate dairy, fats (even good ones) and high fiber veggies.

Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: Did you have gallstones or drink alcohol? What was the cause of your pancreatitis?