Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?

Comment from: UsedtoSmile, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis about 2 months ago. Tests have been run, no hospital stays but I did go to the emergency room the same night after my endoscopy. Since then I've been in excruciating constant pain. All my doctor has prescribed is an anti-depressant amitriptyline and only Tylenol. I'm telling you now neither work. I just want to lay in bed and cry all day every day. But I do my best to stick to this low fat diet and somehow go to work daily and make it through. There has got to be something else that can help.

Comment from: kimmi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I started having pain in my upper stomach area and in my back. Though an ulcer was going on I also had a lot of yellow oil in my bowel movements. Finally I told my doctor and they discovered I had chronic pancreatitis.

Comment from: jdmac62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I just got home from a five-day stay at the hospital for pancreatitis. Nobody is sure why I had this. I don't drink and I don't have a gallbladder. I have been "sick" all year. You know – just haven't felt well, chills, off and on fever, all-over body aches. A lot like the flu. Instead of losing weight, I had weight gain. My stomach was swollen, hard as a rock and I was constipated. My back also hurt badly. We even bought a new mattress and box springs, thinking this was the reason for my back pain. I stayed very irritable; mad-at-the-world sort of thing. I had been to the doctor several times; and was diagnosed with walking pneumonia, bronchitis, and both upper and lower respiratory infections. I have been put on antibiotics, steroids, and prescribed an inhaler more than once. I couldn't walk up or down a flight of stairs without losing my breath. Also, I had heartburn to the point that I should have invested in Alka-Seltzer. One week ago (on a Thursday night), I started having severe stomach pains. I could barely stand up. I was sure that all I needed was a "good cleaning out." By Friday night, my husband and son were trying to get me to the emergency room; Saturday morning we went. I was in the worst pain I had ever been in during my life without a physical injury. The ER doctor thought I had either kidney stones or diverticulitis. A CT scan showed I had pancreatitis. As I said earlier; I don't drink, nor do I have a gallbladder. The ER doctor told me that by looking at my history I shouldn't have pancreatitis. He did tell me that there were a few rare occasions such as this and nobody knew why. There was a name for this, but I was in so much pain I don't remember what it was. I spent five days and four nights in the hospital hooked to an IV receiving antibiotics, potassium and Dilaudid. On top of this, I was given Percocet every four hours. I was so dehydrated that my urine was actually orange. This is an experience that I would not wish on my worst enemy. Please do not take extreme stomach pain for granted. Regardless of what you think it is; have it checked. I was to the point that I could have died.

Published: July 24

The cause of my pancreatitis is still under investigation. I almost never drink, and both a CT scan and MRI showed no gallstones in the duct (my gall bladder was laparoscopically removed in January). I had previously had several esophageal spasms severe enough to take me to the emergency room. These spasms had been relieved and prevented by dicyclomine, an anticholinergic. This time I had a very tight feeling in my abdomen that wouldn't go away, and that awakened me. My internist had prescribed Donnatal as an alternative to dicyclomine, and I thought the Donnatal was what made me begin to vomit violently and keep retching even when my stomach was emptied. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and admitted same day. I spent 4 days there and am still on antibiotics (Flagyl & Cipro) to prevent the inflammation from developing into an infection. I am scheduled to see a gastroenterologist for follow-up.

Published: June 23

I had increasing back pain for a few days and general malaise. I thought it was a kidney infection. I called my primary doctor and asked if he could see me or call me in antibiotics, but he told me to go to the ER. My co-workers thought it was silly to go for a kidney infection, but I had vomited once and the pain was getting a little more intense. I told the nurse I felt silly for being there, that I thought it was a UTI and that I had pain in my back on the left side and vomiting. They did a urine test and gave me some fluids and mild pain meds. Two hours later I was in extreme pain, could not stop vomiting and they came back and told me I had pancreatitis, and they were admitting me. As it turns out, I had sphincter of Oddi dysfunction causing the pancreatitis.

Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: Did you have gallstones or drink alcohol? What was the cause of your pancreatitis?