Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?

Comment from: suz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had Pancreatitis 16 years ago and now have it again. I have no gallbladder problems and I do not drink. My stomach feels like I was sucker punched, I am nauseous, I have back pain and I'm so tired. I am doing the clear liquid diet but it is not helping. I can see a gastroenterologist in a month. I hate this feeling and the pain is incredible. I would not wish this on anyone.

Comment from: WinnipegGirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

It Was March 2013, it was around dinner time and my dad in law had bought me a Subway sandwich, i don't remember what kind. After eating it, an hour later I was getting severe pain in the abdominal area. All night I felt nauseous and I tried taking pain medications and sleeping. Nothing worked, but once it was morning I was fine. But a few days later the pain was very severe and I couldn't move, it was very painful. I went to the hospital and they sent me to get a CT scan. They determined after a day and half I was suffering with chronic pancreatitis and was rushed to the hospital. I was in the hospital for a whole month. I couldn't eat, move, couldn't do anything but sleep. I don't know what caused it but they say it was because I had just given birth to my first daughter in Jan 2013 and during my pregnancy the pancreas was irritated and something in the Subway sandwich triggered it. Never had Subways since or anything that would cause me to have another pain, such as alcohol.

Comment from: SeanP, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I have yet to see a doctor so this is more of an observation. My symptoms are as follows: Isolated pain on the right side of my chest near lower half of my ribcage. If you were to bore a hole right there through my back there is also some isolated pain in my back there as well. The pain is by no means unbearable at this point. It"s more like a light burning sensation almost sunburn like when I rub it slightly. When I push on the ribs, it feels like a big bad bruise and hurts. I don"t feel sick to my stomach at all. I still have an appetite. I did notice that when I do eat something, it seems to be a little worse for a while or more noticeable. This just started happening 2 days ago. I entertain clients and we had just finished a 4 day long trade show where we ate a lot of food in the evening but had a lot of drinks. Prior to that, the previous 2 weekends it was the same. I read that a lot of alcohol consumption can trigger this. By no means do I drink a lot normally. I don"t really want to go to the doctor yet but wonder if this is the start potentially of pancreatitis. I had the same thing happen to me about 6 months ago and it went away after about 2 to 3 days. Now, I do not have my gallbladder so I know it"s not that either. I had that removed about 3 years ago. I do not smoke cigarettes but I am a frequent cigar smoker, 5 to 10/week. I am 43 years old and my last physical was normal and healthy.

Comment from: UsedtoSmile, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis about 2 months ago. Tests have been run, no hospital stays but I did go to the emergency room the same night after my endoscopy. Since then I've been in excruciating constant pain. All my doctor has prescribed is an anti-depressant amitriptyline and only Tylenol. I'm telling you now neither work. I just want to lay in bed and cry all day every day. But I do my best to stick to this low fat diet and somehow go to work daily and make it through. There has got to be something else that can help.

Comment from: kimmi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I started having pain in my upper stomach area and in my back. Though an ulcer was going on I also had a lot of yellow oil in my bowel movements. Finally I told my doctor and they discovered I had chronic pancreatitis.

Comment from: jdmac62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I just got home from a five-day stay at the hospital for pancreatitis. Nobody is sure why I had this. I don't drink and I don't have a gallbladder. I have been "sick" all year. You know – just haven't felt well, chills, off and on fever, all-over body aches. A lot like the flu. Instead of losing weight, I had weight gain. My stomach was swollen, hard as a rock and I was constipated. My back also hurt badly. We even bought a new mattress and box springs, thinking this was the reason for my back pain. I stayed very irritable; mad-at-the-world sort of thing. I had been to the doctor several times; and was diagnosed with walking pneumonia, bronchitis, and both upper and lower respiratory infections. I have been put on antibiotics, steroids, and prescribed an inhaler more than once. I couldn't walk up or down a flight of stairs without losing my breath. Also, I had heartburn to the point that I should have invested in Alka-Seltzer. One week ago (on a Thursday night), I started having severe stomach pains. I could barely stand up. I was sure that all I needed was a "good cleaning out." By Friday night, my husband and son were trying to get me to the emergency room; Saturday morning we went. I was in the worst pain I had ever been in during my life without a physical injury. The ER doctor thought I had either kidney stones or diverticulitis. A CT scan showed I had pancreatitis. As I said earlier; I don't drink, nor do I have a gallbladder. The ER doctor told me that by looking at my history I shouldn't have pancreatitis. He did tell me that there were a few rare occasions such as this and nobody knew why. There was a name for this, but I was in so much pain I don't remember what it was. I spent five days and four nights in the hospital hooked to an IV receiving antibiotics, potassium and Dilaudid. On top of this, I was given Percocet every four hours. I was so dehydrated that my urine was actually orange. This is an experience that I would not wish on my worst enemy. Please do not take extreme stomach pain for granted. Regardless of what you think it is; have it checked. I was to the point that I could have died.

Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: Did you have gallstones or drink alcohol? What was the cause of your pancreatitis?