Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?

Comment from: glpm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I have had chronic stomach problems off and on for 30 years. I would have bouts of stomach pain every few years so severe I would have to go to the emergency room for pain relief but nothing conclusive was ever determined. I suffered from chronic diarrhea for many years, for which no cause was ever determined. In October 2010 I started having severe pain in my upper abdomen that radiated to my shoulder. A trip to the emergency room and numerous tests resulted in a diagnosis of gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically in November 2010. That helped with the pain but the diarrhea continued. Several months later I began to feel a constant tightness and "swollen" feeling in my upper right abdomen area and my whole abdomen felt bloated and tender. The pain felt like a hard pinch or mild stab, and it frequently radiated to my back and shoulder, almost like phantom gall bladder pain. There were many times that the pain would be so severe that I couldn't sleep and several times I would have pain and nausea and not go to work. I never ran fever or had vomiting and even though I exercised daily I began to gain weight. I never felt "good". I visited my gastroenterologist's office a couple of times, where I saw a nurse practitioner. I had an EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) and a CT scan done and even went back to the surgeon who did the gall bladder removal and nothing could be found. After two years and several more doctor visits later, I finally decided that something had to be done. I visited a nurse practitioner who scheduled an ultrasound and CT scan, where cysts were found on my liver. She sent me back to my gastroenterologist's office and I insisted on seeing a doctor and not a nurse practitioner. He was totally unconcerned about the liver cysts but after spending a surprising amount of time with me and doing an exam, schedule me for an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography). During the ERCP he performed a sphincterotomy on a bile duct, kept me for two hours and sent me home. I was vomiting as I was leaving the hospital, but chalked it up to the Dilaudid they had given me for pain. I had severe abdominal pain and vomiting through that night and was unable to even keep down water to take my pain and nausea medications. The next day I felt a little better. I ate a few crackers and was able to keep down my medicine and late in the day was able to tolerate some tomato soup and a baked potato. The next day I had an egg and toast and some more soup. By late that afternoon I was in pain again and running fever. I went to the emergency room where they did a CT scan and blood work. At first I was told it was an abscess. All my blood and enzyme levels were OK with the exception of a slightly elevated white count. I was admitted to the hospital and started on fluids and antibiotics. The next day I was told it was not an abscess but pancreatitis. I stayed in the hospital for 3 1/2 days and had no food until the 3rd day. I have been home for 4 days and still have a full, tight, pinching feeling in my upper right abdomen and some mild right shoulder pain. I hope this will go away soon and is just an after effect of the whole ordeal.

Comment from: suz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had Pancreatitis 16 years ago and now have it again. I have no gallbladder problems and I do not drink. My stomach feels like I was sucker punched, I am nauseous, I have back pain and I'm so tired. I am doing the clear liquid diet but it is not helping. I can see a gastroenterologist in a month. I hate this feeling and the pain is incredible. I would not wish this on anyone.

Comment from: WinnipegGirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

It Was March 2013, it was around dinner time and my dad in law had bought me a Subway sandwich, i don't remember what kind. After eating it, an hour later I was getting severe pain in the abdominal area. All night I felt nauseous and I tried taking pain medications and sleeping. Nothing worked, but once it was morning I was fine. But a few days later the pain was very severe and I couldn't move, it was very painful. I went to the hospital and they sent me to get a CT scan. They determined after a day and half I was suffering with chronic pancreatitis and was rushed to the hospital. I was in the hospital for a whole month. I couldn't eat, move, couldn't do anything but sleep. I don't know what caused it but they say it was because I had just given birth to my first daughter in Jan 2013 and during my pregnancy the pancreas was irritated and something in the Subway sandwich triggered it. Never had Subways since or anything that would cause me to have another pain, such as alcohol.

Comment from: SeanP, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I have yet to see a doctor so this is more of an observation. My symptoms are as follows: Isolated pain on the right side of my chest near lower half of my ribcage. If you were to bore a hole right there through my back there is also some isolated pain in my back there as well. The pain is by no means unbearable at this point. It"s more like a light burning sensation almost sunburn like when I rub it slightly. When I push on the ribs, it feels like a big bad bruise and hurts. I don"t feel sick to my stomach at all. I still have an appetite. I did notice that when I do eat something, it seems to be a little worse for a while or more noticeable. This just started happening 2 days ago. I entertain clients and we had just finished a 4 day long trade show where we ate a lot of food in the evening but had a lot of drinks. Prior to that, the previous 2 weekends it was the same. I read that a lot of alcohol consumption can trigger this. By no means do I drink a lot normally. I don"t really want to go to the doctor yet but wonder if this is the start potentially of pancreatitis. I had the same thing happen to me about 6 months ago and it went away after about 2 to 3 days. Now, I do not have my gallbladder so I know it"s not that either. I had that removed about 3 years ago. I do not smoke cigarettes but I am a frequent cigar smoker, 5 to 10/week. I am 43 years old and my last physical was normal and healthy.

Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?
Pancreatitis - Causes Question: Did you have gallstones or drink alcohol? What was the cause of your pancreatitis?