Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Causes

If known, please describe the cause of your case of pancreatitis.

Comment from: febber, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have just experienced pancreatitis. Pain started at about 10 am at work with pain at the top of my stomach (where it meets the breast bone) and in the middle of my back. I thought I had bad indigestion but I had a light breakfast and a few sips of coffee. It got gradually stronger and I thought I hope it's not a heart attack. I became very clammy, breaking into a sweat and felt very unwell. I had no nausea or vomiting, just strong pain. I've had gallstones for 30 years but no attack in at least 15 years. This was not feeling like a gall attack. My experience with gall attacks was acute intense pain (like 3rd stage labor that never ends) and vomiting. This was different. I took 2 paracetamol pills but it did not help. After a couple of hours a co-worker took me to hospital emergency where they gave me antacid which did not help. When the pain did not go they did and ECG which said my heart was ok. Then they took blood and gave me intravenous fluids. The pain went away. Blood tests showed I had pancreatitis. The doctor suggested I have my gallbladder removed that afternoon as the pancreatitis had settled and I was otherwise in good health to have the surgery. I am on day 3 post surgery and feeling ok. I am a bit sore in the belly button but not feeling too bad. Just reeling a bit from the turn of events.

Comment from: Sgal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have chronic pancreatitis due to having an auto-immune disease but it started with my gallbladder. I'm not a drinker at all. In March 2012, I got very ill after eating a chicken sandwich. The gas pain was so bad I took everything we had in the house with no relief. That night we went to the emergency room (ER) where they told me I had the flu. Exactly a week later, I was back in the ER again with the same pain. After having an ultrasound they couldn't even make out my gallbladder because of inflammation. They stuck a tube in my right side to bring down the inflammation and wanted me to go home for 6 weeks. I insisted they do surgery which they did after 3 days and found 32 stones. My gallbladder and the stones were removed but a month later when I was still having pain, they did another scan and found psuedocysts and 4 more stones that backed up into my pancreas. I lost 60 lb. and spent a total of 32 weeks on and off in the hospital due to nutrition problems because of feeding tube issues which were changed multiple times and spent 5 days in the ICU from C. Difficile. The doctors weren't sure I was going to live. Every few months I end up in the hospital because of dehydration and psuedocysts. I don't find that the enzymes work well and pain medicines dull the pain but it never quite goes away. I do not wish this on anyone. I can't enjoy going out for dinner and most of my meals are protein shakes. Best of luck to those who have this disease.

Comment from: Shadow, (Patient) Published: March 17

I spent two days with severe pain in my upper back and stomach. After several tests the doctor has finally diagnosed acute pancreatitis. They could not give me a reason that I would acquire this disease. After going home I googled all the medications that I take; high blood pressure and insulin. I am on Victoza insulin, and one of the more serious side effects of this insulin is pancreatitis. I am baffled that the doctors couldn't figure out that insulin caused this.

Comment from: Bevie'sgirl67, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My 70 year old mom is currently hospitalized for severe pancreatitis. She had her gallbladder removed years ago and is not and never has been a drinker. She is on a lengthy list of medications for other ailments so they think perhaps one of her medicines is causing this, her first attack. This woman has had more surgeries and procedures than I can count, but I can honestly say I've never seen anyone in as much pain as she is in now. My mom is also on gabapentin but they just recently lowered her dosage. Weird that lowering a dose can cause such a thing.

Comment from: BDavis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis due to a long exposure to antibiotics (3 months), most recently to levofloxacin.

Pancreatitis - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?
Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?
Pancreatitis - Experience Question: Please share your experience with acute or chronic pancreatitis.