Patient Comments: Pancreatitis - Causes

Did you have gallstones or drink alcohol? What was the cause of your pancreatitis?

Comment from: butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I had acute pancreatitis due to medicine given to me for shingles. This medicine was called gabapentin. So I had shingles on the right side of my head and pancreatitis at the same time. I spent over a week in the hospital.

Comment from: Cher, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

Cause was not determined. I do not drink nor did I have gallstones.

Comment from: Coolbrezzzes, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have had idiopathic pancreatitis several times. My concern is the attitude of some medical staff who continued to ask me about drinking which I don't.

Comment from: PBCer2008, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I was diagnosed 13 years ago with stage 2 primary biliary cirrhosis which is now stage 4. In 2008, I was rushed to the emergency room with acute pancreatitis. I am not a drinker or drug user. Apparently many people who suffer PBC develop this problem due to the inflammation in the bile duct connecting to the pancreas. I wanted people to know that this is also a reason people suffer from pancreatitis. I had to have an ERCP to stretch the duct opening, and I've been fine ever since.

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience Question: What were your symptoms of pancreatitis?
Pancreatitis - Treatments Question: How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?