- About 80,000 cases of pancreatitis occur in the US every year.
- Pancreatitis causes abdominal pain.
- Pancreatitis can be an acute (short-term) or chronic (long-term) condition.
- The hallmark symptom of acute pancreatitis is abdominal pain. Other signs and symptoms of acute pancreatitis are:
- Diagnosis of pancreatitis is generally with blood and imaging tests.
- Most cases of acute pancreatitis require hospitalization; however, treatment of chronic pancreatitis may be managed in an outpatient setting.
- Complications of pancreatitis may include:
- Pancreatitis can range from a mild, self-limited disease to a condition with life- threatening complications. Continue Reading
Reviewed on 5/28/2015
Get the Latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!