Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: hopeful debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have had diabetes and been taking oral medications for over 10 years. I noticed that I was having abdominal pain which became more frequent, and then daily about 2 months ago. I had a CT scan with oral agents only (due to my allergies) It revealed a small tissue mass on the head of my pancreas. I was scheduled an endoscopic ultrasound of the pancreas with a gastroenterologist that does pancreatic cancer research. He found that I have a stomach ulcer and a small pancreatic cyst on the head of my pancreas. This was in December 2013. He did not do biopsy on it due to the small size. I have a follow up appointment in February 2014. I am taking Prilosec twice daily. I still have some abdominal pain. I am now taking insulin as my blood sugars no longer are helped by my oral medications.

Comment from: Redhead, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a healthy 24-year-old woman and have never consumed alcohol. I've had dull pain in my stomach area for months off and on and brushed it off as not eating enough. Last week the pain intensified immensely and ended up in the emergency room with pain all across my stomach. All of my blood work was perfect. The pain eventually subsided to just my left side so the doctor ordered a cat scan and they found a cyst in the tail of my pancreas.

Comment from: atbruno498, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am a 31 year old, healthy female. I was admitted to the ER with abdominal pain, yellowing of the skin and nausea. They performed a CT scan, because appendicitis was suspected. No appendicitis, but they did find a 26mm by 27mm "cyst" in the body of my pancreas. After undergoing an endoscopic ultrasound and biopsy, they found that it was in fact a mucinous cyst, and that it was pre-cancerous. I then met with a Surgical Oncologist, who advised me that I would need to undergo a subtotal pancreatectomy, as well as a splenectomy, as the tumor was pressing on the artery that fed into the spleen.

Comment from: mbriseno, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Dr ordered a CT scan to check for kidney stones. No stones were found but they did find a 2.6cm cyst on the body/tail junction of my pancreas. Had a contrast CT 3 days later, the radiologist said that he suspected that it was either a pseudo cyst or a simple cyst but a neoplasm could not be ruled out through that imaging so I had to see a specialist. I decided to cut through the red tape & immediately made an appointment with a surgical oncologist who specializes in pancreatic/liver cancers. Met with him 2 weeks after my initial scan and he says that he is also pretty sure that it is a benign simple cyst, I am going for an MRI just to be sure. As long as the MRI is good, the oncologist says he will monitor me for a year & if the cyst doesn't change we will just leave it alone and move on down the road.

Comment from: homeschool mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had a dull pain and pressure in my right side in the front and back. I had white cells and a trace amount of blood in my urine spec. I was sent for an ultrasound where it was discovered that I had a pancreatic cyst measuring 1.5 centimeters in addition to an ovarian cyst. I will be going for a CT scan to clarify.

Comment from: LLE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am a 29-year-old healthy female and I had been having abdominal pain for about four years. I went to the ER four years ago but no tests were done at this time. I was given pain pills and sent home a couple hours later. For the next four years, I would have on-again, off-again pain in that same area. About a year ago, I had my IUD removed, thinking it was causing the pain, but the pain persisted. I saw my PCP about a year ago, she ordered a CT scan, and they found a pancreatic cyst on the tail end. Since then, I have had two MRIs, an EUS, another EUS to drain the fluid, one X-ray, and three CT scans. The fluid that was taken was ½ one type of cyst and ½ another type. The cyst keeps growing, and the doctors have finally decided it should be surgically removed, along with my spleen and gallbladder. I'm hoping to get some feedback from others who've had this type of surgery and if they acquired any additional health problems, like diabetes.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?