Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: gail w., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I have had 3 or 4 pancreatic attacks. I'm experiencing constant pain in my right midline below the right front ribs. The pain goes from the front to the back and to the right at times. MRI shows that I have 3 liver cysts, and 2 small pancreatic cysts with a slightly dilated pancreatic duct. I have bruising on my right side of my hip area and have had no falls or bumps on that side, and one of my glands on the right side of my neck is swollen. My red blood cells are low, 12 to 14 range.

Comment from: Jes, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am 35 years old and was having what I thought were severe gas pains. I put off going to hospital for six hours when I just couldn't take it anymore. After being admitted and having ultra and CAT scan, I was told I had pseudo cyst on my pancreas. Later I had endoscopic ultra-scan and found out it is a mucinous cystic neoplasm on the tail of my pancreas, quite large! I am now awaiting surgery to have distal pancreatectomy and splenectomy. The neoplasm is as far as we know non-malignant but is pre-cancerous hence the surgery. Just want this taken care of. I constantly have fullness feeling and dull aching in upper abdomen including some back pain. I also have been very gassy for some time!

Comment from: robert, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 28

I went undiagnosed for almost 3 years. Once confirmed as scabies I took weekly treatments at first with Nix cream and then ended up doing 5 daily treatments with Nix to get rid of it. Three months and it was gone. I figured I picked it up from a hotel I stayed at. I heard later it had some kind of infestation. I'm not sure why doctors took so long to diagnose it. It would have saved me years of suffering.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I'm a 53 year old fairly healthy female. I went to the emergency room one year ago with excruciating mid back pain and some abdominal pain. Through ultrasound they found a 4 mm pancreatic cyst. I've been through lots of tests EUS (endoscopic ultrasound), CT, and MRI. One gastrointestinal (GI) doctor claims the cyst has grown to 8 mm. The GI doctor on my health plan claims it's some sort of fold that looks like a lesion but is not. I still have dull constant abdominal pain and don't know what I should do since 2 doctors gave 2 very different opinions. All my ducts are dilated to 2-4 centimeters and I was told I may have passed a stone without knowing. I'm tired of the worry and don't know where to go. I'd like to know for sure what this lesion is.

Comment from: Debk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had a CT scan with contrast injection late 2014 and a number of masses and cysts on the pancreas were discovered. I was also diagnosed with pancreatitis and this was not due to alcoholism. This year I had an MRI and it was discovered I have an IPMN (intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm) in the branch duct. I have pain, vomiting, nausea, current pancreatitis attacks but not severe enough I have to go to hospital, and recently I have started to lose my appetite as well. I'm booked in for an endoscopic ultrasound in a couple of weeks' time. I am female and 47 years of age and was shocked at this. I also have small masses on my liver, colon and stomach, all benign. The abdominal pain, nausea, and fatigue are the most frustrating symptoms I have ever experienced.

Comment from: Vivian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

In April 2015 I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and had a close to dead episode, but I never drink alcohol, and there is no hereditary factor. Apparently it was the consequence of the flu I had for too long, and a urine infection that get worse. My immune system couldn't take it, and attacked my liver, creating a liver failure, and now I have cirrhosis. It is important to check and follow with your doctor.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?