Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: Jes, Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am 35 years old and was having what I thought were severe gas pains. I put off going to hospital for six hours when I just couldn't take it anymore. After being admitted and having ultra and CAT scan, I was told I had pseudo cyst on my pancreas. Later I had endoscopic ultra-scan and found out it is a mucinous cystic neoplasm on the tail of my pancreas, quite large! I am now awaiting surgery to have distal pancreatectomy and splenectomy. The neoplasm is as far as we know non-malignant but is pre-cancerous hence the surgery. Just want this taken care of. I constantly have fullness feeling and dull aching in upper abdomen including some back pain. I also have been very gassy for some time!

Comment from: robert, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 28

I went undiagnosed for almost 3 years. Once confirmed as scabies I took weekly treatments at first with Nix cream and then ended up doing 5 daily treatments with Nix to get rid of it. Three months and it was gone. I figured I picked it up from a hotel I stayed at. I heard later it had some kind of infestation. I'm not sure why doctors took so long to diagnose it. It would have saved me years of suffering.

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I'm a 53 year old fairly healthy female. I went to the emergency room one year ago with excruciating mid back pain and some abdominal pain. Through ultrasound they found a 4 mm pancreatic cyst. I've been through lots of tests EUS (endoscopic ultrasound), CT, and MRI. One gastrointestinal (GI) doctor claims the cyst has grown to 8 mm. The GI doctor on my health plan claims it's some sort of fold that looks like a lesion but is not. I still have dull constant abdominal pain and don't know what I should do since 2 doctors gave 2 very different opinions. All my ducts are dilated to 2-4 centimeters and I was told I may have passed a stone without knowing. I'm tired of the worry and don't know where to go. I'd like to know for sure what this lesion is.

Comment from: Debk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had a CT scan with contrast injection late 2014 and a number of masses and cysts on the pancreas were discovered. I was also diagnosed with pancreatitis and this was not due to alcoholism. This year I had an MRI and it was discovered I have an IPMN (intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm) in the branch duct. I have pain, vomiting, nausea, current pancreatitis attacks but not severe enough I have to go to hospital, and recently I have started to lose my appetite as well. I'm booked in for an endoscopic ultrasound in a couple of weeks' time. I am female and 47 years of age and was shocked at this. I also have small masses on my liver, colon and stomach, all benign. The abdominal pain, nausea, and fatigue are the most frustrating symptoms I have ever experienced.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am a 50 year old female, 2 1/2 years cancer free after treatment for uterine cancer. In a recent PET scan, a small abnormality the size of 1 mm was found on my pancreas. Blood work is normal. No symptoms whatsoever. Oncologist/gynecologist is sending me for a biopsy. He mentioned something about having a needle inserted into my gut. Lovely. I hope it's nothing but a benign cyst.

Comment from: mspip, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 02

I had this miserable scabies for over a month before I went to doctor. I used neem oil and neem soap but saw little improvement. I was given prescription for permethrin cream a week ago today. It is still itching and I have read information from clinic which says it may keep itching for two weeks or more after treatment. Do not order an online ointment which I did, a really convincing ad and it was guaranteed or money back. I am sending it back today. Three places are the worst; abdomen, upper chest, and back of left hand. A bit unsightly but all can be covered with clothing except the hand. It seems that it came from a motel which looked clean, but a few weeks later I got scabies.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?