Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: homeschool mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had a dull pain and pressure in my right side in the front and back. I had white cells and a trace amount of blood in my urine spec. I was sent for an ultrasound where it was discovered that I had a pancreatic cyst measuring 1.5 centimeters in addition to an ovarian cyst. I will be going for a CT scan to clarify.

Comment from: Sunflower, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My husband's cysts were first noted in an abdominal CT scan but the internist failed to heed the radiologist's suggestion to do further tests. He has Type II diabetes. We saw a surgeon who sent him for a EUS and FNA. The FNA caused acute pancreatitis which caused pseudo cysts. These cysts multiplied and within an 8-month period it had grown by a factor of five. They now surround the single meniscus cyst like a large cluster of grapes and have caused the pancreas to be enlarged and decrease the capacity of his stomach. He cannot have surgery because that would cause brittle diabetes He also is on dialysis because later his only kidney failed. His health is now so fragile no one will do another EUS. Because of his kidney he is not allowed any contrast die so a CT scan is virtually useless. Choose your doctors carefully and read every report immediately and make sure action is not delayed. Ask how many FNAs have been done and what % have caused pancreatitis......

Comment from: Vivian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

In April 2015 I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and had a close to dead episode, but I never drink alcohol, and there is no hereditary factor. Apparently it was the consequence of the flu I had for too long, and a urine infection that get worse. My immune system couldn't take it, and attacked my liver, creating a liver failure, and now I have cirrhosis. It is important to check and follow with your doctor.

Comment from: worriedmother, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 07

My son was admitted to the hospital on 2/7/2015 where he has been currently be in and out. He has a feeding tube and has lost 62 pounds. He has a so called pancreatic cyst that has grown from 1 mm now to 15 mm; they just keep putting off surgery. He is in constant pain and is getting very worn down.

Comment from: LLE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am a 29-year-old healthy female and I had been having abdominal pain for about four years. I went to the ER four years ago but no tests were done at this time. I was given pain pills and sent home a couple hours later. For the next four years, I would have on-again, off-again pain in that same area. About a year ago, I had my IUD removed, thinking it was causing the pain, but the pain persisted. I saw my PCP about a year ago, she ordered a CT scan, and they found a pancreatic cyst on the tail end. Since then, I have had two MRIs, an EUS, another EUS to drain the fluid, one X-ray, and three CT scans. The fluid that was taken was � one type of cyst and � another type. The cyst keeps growing, and the doctors have finally decided it should be surgically removed, along with my spleen and gallbladder. I'm hoping to get some feedback from others who've had this type of surgery and if they acquired any additional health problems, like diabetes.

Comment from: Laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am 31, and an otherwise healthy and fit female who does not (and never has) consumed alcohol. After four months of feeling queasy all the time and pain in my right side and back, my doctor sent me for an ultrasound to check my gallbladder. It was fine, but they found a 3-cm cyst in my pancreas. They think it looks like a pseudocyst, but I will have CT scan in the next few weeks to confirm it and decide what to do next.

Comment from: Beko, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had a kidney stone that I was unable to pass, ended up in the emergency room, had a CT scan and discovered a 15 cm tumor on my pancreas. Had a partial pancreas removal and spleen removal. Turned out to be a malignant Pseudo papillary tumor of the pancreas. Have been disease free for 4 years.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?