Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: very afraid, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

In May 2011 I had my gallbladder removed. In the tests leading up to the removal they found 2 large stomach ulcers and 3 small cysts on the tail of the pancreas. I waited 6 months and just had the ERCP with contrast and will find out the results on Monday the 9th. of January. What should I ask and what should I expect from the cancer surgeon. Thanks for your concern.

Comment from: Riley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had an ultra sound done on my liver because my bilirubin's were elevated in my blood test. They discovered a lesion on my pancreas, approx. 2.3 by 1.9 by 0.9. I am now going to get a ERCP. The digestive disease doctor I talked to couldn't get me in until 2/1/2012, there is no way I can mentally wait that long. I decided to take control of things and I am trying to get into a medical center. Hopefully I can get an appointment a lot sooner.

Comment from: karyn, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 15

November 1 my husband went to the er they did a CAT scan which did not show the cyst (or so we thought) on May 6 the CAT scan was repeated with oral contrast and that was the first time the cyst was seen it was estimated to be 1.8cm. Next we went to a clinic in Boston and he had an MRCP and the cyst appeared to be about 2.5cm next he had an EUS which measured it at 2.8 cm. The most IMPORTANT part of this is that the cyst was really there in the first CAT scan of Nov 1 it was just over looked so we thought that it was growing but in reality it was really about 2.6 cm in Nov. Make sure you have an expert read your scan it was the surgeon that suspected that it was really there in Nov. and it had been over looked and he was right. Always get your own films and take them with you!!!!

Comment from: catssam, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I have Hairy Cell Leukemia which is in remission. I ran a high fever 2 weeks ago and was sent to the Emergency room by my primary care dr. A cat scan revealed cysts in my pancreas, liver and 1 lung. However, they are too small to biopsy at this time. Antibiotics have stopped the fever.

Comment from: MaryDVal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

My cysts were seen after dealing with colorectal cancer, nothing was done. Three years later I was diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma.

Comment from: G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My pancreatic cyst was discovered by CT scan done to help determine unexplained rapid weight loss and diarrhea. My next step is an upper GI and small intestine tissue biopsy to see if I have Celiac Disease. Another CT scan will be done in 6 weeks to see if any change in pancreatic cyst which is very small only 11mm. -- 48 year old Caucasian female.

Comment from: sm8173, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I have Polycystic Kidney Disease and was participating in a study run by the Rogosin Institute at New York Presbyterian Hospital. As part of the study, periodic MRI's are done of your kidneys and surrounding areas. They discovered a cyst on my pancreas in the results of the MRI.

Comment from: Mum, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 09

My son was diagnosed with pancreatic cyst aged just 21. He is now having 6 monthly scans to keep an eye on things as the cyst is still there 18 months after diagnosis. There is little information given at the hospital and we just sit waiting to see what the future brings for him. He gets rather down as his life revolves around medication, trips to the GP and regular visits to the hospital.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?