Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: atbruno498, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I am a 31 year old, healthy female. I was admitted to the ER with abdominal pain, yellowing of the skin and nausea. They performed a CT scan, because appendicitis was suspected. No appendicitis, but they did find a 26mm by 27mm "cyst" in the body of my pancreas. After undergoing an endoscopic ultrasound and biopsy, they found that it was in fact a mucinous cyst, and that it was pre-cancerous. I then met with a Surgical Oncologist, who advised me that I would need to undergo a subtotal pancreatectomy, as well as a splenectomy, as the tumor was pressing on the artery that fed into the spleen.

Comment from: mbriseno, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

Dr ordered a CT scan to check for kidney stones. No stones were found but they did find a 2.6cm cyst on the body/tail junction of my pancreas. Had a contrast CT 3 days later, the radiologist said that he suspected that it was either a pseudo cyst or a simple cyst but a neoplasm could not be ruled out through that imaging so I had to see a specialist. I decided to cut through the red tape & immediately made an appointment with a surgical oncologist who specializes in pancreatic/liver cancers. Met with him 2 weeks after my initial scan and he says that he is also pretty sure that it is a benign simple cyst, I am going for an MRI just to be sure. As long as the MRI is good, the oncologist says he will monitor me for a year & if the cyst doesn't change we will just leave it alone and move on down the road.

Comment from: homeschool mom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had a dull pain and pressure in my right side in the front and back. I had white cells and a trace amount of blood in my urine spec. I was sent for an ultrasound where it was discovered that I had a pancreatic cyst measuring 1.5 centimeters in addition to an ovarian cyst. I will be going for a CT scan to clarify.

Comment from: Sunflower, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My husband's cysts were first noted in an abdominal CT scan but the internist failed to heed the radiologist's suggestion to do further tests. He has Type II diabetes. We saw a surgeon who sent him for a EUS and FNA. The FNA caused acute pancreatitis which caused pseudo cysts. These cysts multiplied and within an 8-month period it had grown by a factor of five. They now surround the single meniscus cyst like a large cluster of grapes and have caused the pancreas to be enlarged and decrease the capacity of his stomach. He cannot have surgery because that would cause brittle diabetes He also is on dialysis because later his only kidney failed. His health is now so fragile no one will do another EUS. Because of his kidney he is not allowed any contrast die so a CT scan is virtually useless. Choose your doctors carefully and read every report immediately and make sure action is not delayed. Ask how many FNAs have been done and what % have caused pancreatitis......

Comment from: LLE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am a 29-year-old healthy female and I had been having abdominal pain for about four years. I went to the ER four years ago but no tests were done at this time. I was given pain pills and sent home a couple hours later. For the next four years, I would have on-again, off-again pain in that same area. About a year ago, I had my IUD removed, thinking it was causing the pain, but the pain persisted. I saw my PCP about a year ago, she ordered a CT scan, and they found a pancreatic cyst on the tail end. Since then, I have had two MRIs, an EUS, another EUS to drain the fluid, one X-ray, and three CT scans. The fluid that was taken was ½ one type of cyst and ½ another type. The cyst keeps growing, and the doctors have finally decided it should be surgically removed, along with my spleen and gallbladder. I'm hoping to get some feedback from others who've had this type of surgery and if they acquired any additional health problems, like diabetes.

Comment from: Laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am 31, and an otherwise healthy and fit female who does not (and never has) consumed alcohol. After four months of feeling queasy all the time and pain in my right side and back, my doctor sent me for an ultrasound to check my gallbladder. It was fine, but they found a 3-cm cyst in my pancreas. They think it looks like a pseudocyst, but I will have CT scan in the next few weeks to confirm it and decide what to do next.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?