Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: Lauren19380, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 03

My 81-year-old mom had upper abdominal pain for a few months, then started having dizzy spells where she would nearly lose consciousness for a few weeks before she told anyone. We had noticed that she was getting thinner, but were shocked when she revealed a 25 pound weight loss over three months. At a doctor's office visit, her hemoglobin was 6 and she had pain and palpations in the upper left abdomen. She was immediately admitted to the hospital, given two units of blood, and a CT scan was performed. Several cysts were noted in the tail of the pancreas. After an MRI, the doctors assured her the cysts were not malignant. An endoscopy revealed a large bleeding ulcer and she was discharged with medication. I am concerned about the pancreatic cysts, but everyone else feels satisfied that her symptoms have been adequately explained by the ulcer. My mom has always been extraordinarily fit and healthy and now she just looks like a pale ghost of her former self.

Comment from: Kasey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in 2008 after having gallbladder surgery. The surgeon stated I had something going on with a bile duct that didn't look exactly right on X-ray. After the ERCP, I had acute pancreatitis. I stayed in the hospital a total of three weeks. During the next 8 to 12 months I started having right-side pain and it hurt to bend over. My doctor sent me for a CT scan thinking it might be a kidney stone and it was then that they found the cyst on my pancreas. I was sent to a surgical oncologist and I had repeated CT scans every three months to see if the cyst has grown. The cysts were not filled with fluid, but tissue. My options are limited. I have to go back in a week for another scan to see if the cyst has grown.

Comment from: Paininside, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I found I had a pancreatic cyst after I ended up in the hospital for five days with pancreatitis. I had been having pain in the area for some time, but assumed it was due to the gastrostomy tube I had inserted in 2001 due to esophageal dysphasia from type 4 systemic scoliosis. After I left the hospital and saw my doctor, I was told the pancreatic cyst was 7 cm x 4 cm. It was larger than they wanted, but due to the other medical issues I have, we decided to wait and watch. Even though I continued to have pain it wasn't enough to put me in the hospital. We attempted to drain the cyst prior to going on a cruise, but found that the "liquid" was not drainable. It was more of a jelly consistency than liquid. We went on a cruise and took it easy and after we returned I had another CT scan. Then I received a surprise we had not anticipated and it was a second cyst. This cyst is considered medium size, and again, we are waiting and watching. I still have pain, not enough to go to the hospital though, and because of all the other issues, I am almost to the point of telling them to go and either do the test (scope) that typically causes pancreatitis, or to just do the surgery and take the cysts out. I expect there may be more on the pancreas than they can see through a CT Scan -- cannot have an MRI because of a neurostimulator implant in my back.

Comment from: Dana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

As I previously had ovarian cysts, my doctor decided to do the CT scan which revealed a small cyst in the body of the pancreas. To check further, they have done an MRI scan. I haven't got the results yet.

Comment from: petalpusher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My pancreatic cysts were diagnosed found when I had a MRI for my low back pain. I have to schedule a CT Scan every year now. I am staying away from alcohol, and trying to stay away from sugar.

Comment from: sterling, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

The cyst on my pancreas was found during an ultrasound when checking my gallbladder. I have been having MRIs for about five years to check the size of it, and so far, it has not grown or changed.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am a 63 year old female who has had right pelvic pain only at a specific point for 2.5 years. All gynecology tests (pelvic and transvaginal untrasounds and tumor marker) were negative. When it suddenly became more intense and lasted for a few minutes, a CT scan was done. The 0.6cm pancreatic neck and 0.7 cm pancreatic body mucinous cysts were found. I am awaiting my appointment with the pancreatic surgeon.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?