Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I'm a 53 year old fairly healthy female. I went to the emergency room one year ago with excruciating mid back pain and some abdominal pain. Through ultrasound they found a 4 mm pancreatic cyst. I've been through lots of tests EUS (endoscopic ultrasound), CT, and MRI. One gastrointestinal (GI) doctor claims the cyst has grown to 8 mm. The GI doctor on my health plan claims it's some sort of fold that looks like a lesion but is not. I still have dull constant abdominal pain and don't know what I should do since 2 doctors gave 2 very different opinions. All my ducts are dilated to 2-4 centimeters and I was told I may have passed a stone without knowing. I'm tired of the worry and don't know where to go. I'd like to know for sure what this lesion is.

Comment from: Debk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had a CT scan with contrast injection late 2014 and a number of masses and cysts on the pancreas were discovered. I was also diagnosed with pancreatitis and this was not due to alcoholism. This year I had an MRI and it was discovered I have an IPMN (intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm) in the branch duct. I have pain, vomiting, nausea, current pancreatitis attacks but not severe enough I have to go to hospital, and recently I have started to lose my appetite as well. I'm booked in for an endoscopic ultrasound in a couple of weeks' time. I am female and 47 years of age and was shocked at this. I also have small masses on my liver, colon and stomach, all benign. The abdominal pain, nausea, and fatigue are the most frustrating symptoms I have ever experienced.

Comment from: Julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I am a 50 year old female, 2 1/2 years cancer free after treatment for uterine cancer. In a recent PET scan, a small abnormality the size of 1 mm was found on my pancreas. Blood work is normal. No symptoms whatsoever. Oncologist/gynecologist is sending me for a biopsy. He mentioned something about having a needle inserted into my gut. Lovely. I hope it's nothing but a benign cyst.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am a 49 year old female with a massive umbilical/incisional hernia. I had a CT with oral and IV contract to look at the hernia, and they found a cyst on the tail of my pancreas. They felt it was probably benign, but scheduled a 6 month follow-up scan, which I just had done. The wonderful news is that the cyst has not done anything at all, which adds weight to the doctors' belief that it is benign!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I am 42 years old. I started having pain in my right side about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It was right where my appendix is. I have had right side pain off and on for years so I waited until the next day to see the doctor instead of going to the emergency room (ER). The doctor took blood, urine sample, and did an x-ray. She also scheduled a CT scan for the next week. I had to wait several days to get the results from all of the tests. The only symptom I have had during this whole time is pain in my right side which moves around and then in the top of my leg that sometimes runs down in the upper leg. Anyway the CT showed something at the end of my pancreas which she said is normally seen in an alcoholic or someone with stones or a family history. I have none of those things, so perhaps it is pancreatic cysts. I am scheduled for an MRI in 2 days and scared to death with all the possibilities. It is hard waiting and waiting for all these tests.

Comment from: hopeful debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have had diabetes and been taking oral medications for over 10 years. I noticed that I was having abdominal pain which became more frequent, and then daily about 2 months ago. I had a CT scan with oral agents only (due to my allergies) It revealed a small tissue mass on the head of my pancreas. I was scheduled an endoscopic ultrasound of the pancreas with a gastroenterologist that does pancreatic cancer research. He found that I have a stomach ulcer and a small pancreatic cyst on the head of my pancreas. This was in December 2013. He did not do biopsy on it due to the small size. I have a follow up appointment in February 2014. I am taking Prilosec twice daily. I still have some abdominal pain. I am now taking insulin as my blood sugars no longer are helped by my oral medications.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?