Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: Agatina, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had an MRI one year ago for breathing problems and they saw this cyst where the tail of the pancreas begins. It was either 1.1 centimeters or 11 centimeters. My follow-up MRI for this is in four days.

Comment from: worriedmother, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 07

My son was admitted to the hospital on 2/7/2015 where he has been currently be in and out. He has a feeding tube and has lost 62 pounds. He has a so called pancreatic cyst that has grown from 1 mm now to 15 mm; they just keep putting off surgery. He is in constant pain and is getting very worn down.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am a 49 year old female with a massive umbilical/incisional hernia. I had a CT with oral and IV contract to look at the hernia, and they found a cyst on the tail of my pancreas. They felt it was probably benign, but scheduled a 6 month follow-up scan, which I just had done. The wonderful news is that the cyst has not done anything at all, which adds weight to the doctors' belief that it is benign!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I am 42 years old. I started having pain in my right side about 2 1/2 weeks ago. It was right where my appendix is. I have had right side pain off and on for years so I waited until the next day to see the doctor instead of going to the emergency room (ER). The doctor took blood, urine sample, and did an x-ray. She also scheduled a CT scan for the next week. I had to wait several days to get the results from all of the tests. The only symptom I have had during this whole time is pain in my right side which moves around and then in the top of my leg that sometimes runs down in the upper leg. Anyway the CT showed something at the end of my pancreas which she said is normally seen in an alcoholic or someone with stones or a family history. I have none of those things, so perhaps it is pancreatic cysts. I am scheduled for an MRI in 2 days and scared to death with all the possibilities. It is hard waiting and waiting for all these tests.

Comment from: hopeful debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have had diabetes and been taking oral medications for over 10 years. I noticed that I was having abdominal pain which became more frequent, and then daily about 2 months ago. I had a CT scan with oral agents only (due to my allergies) It revealed a small tissue mass on the head of my pancreas. I was scheduled an endoscopic ultrasound of the pancreas with a gastroenterologist that does pancreatic cancer research. He found that I have a stomach ulcer and a small pancreatic cyst on the head of my pancreas. This was in December 2013. He did not do biopsy on it due to the small size. I have a follow up appointment in February 2014. I am taking Prilosec twice daily. I still have some abdominal pain. I am now taking insulin as my blood sugars no longer are helped by my oral medications.

Comment from: carolyn4lyf, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I still don't know what I have, it's been 4 years. I had pain first and I was told it was a cyst in my liver. After a CT scan it's a 5 cm growth in the inside of my pancreas. In the meanwhile I had 5 endoscopies. I was pregnant at 20 weeks, and they cut me open to look at it and said I need an abortion, but I said no. It grew vesicular arteries so surgery is not an option. I gave up and just stopped going to doctors, when they can't tell me what I've got.

Comment from: Redhead, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a healthy 24-year-old woman and have never consumed alcohol. I've had dull pain in my stomach area for months off and on and brushed it off as not eating enough. Last week the pain intensified immensely and ended up in the emergency room with pain all across my stomach. All of my blood work was perfect. The pain eventually subsided to just my left side so the doctor ordered a cat scan and they found a cyst in the tail of my pancreas.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?