Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Types

Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.

Comment from: susieq911, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was diagnosed with inflammatory intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN) 2mm x 6mm yesterday after an endoscopic ultrasound (EUS). I was told that they will do another in 2 years but I feel that it needs to be done in 6 months to make sure it has not changed. I have chronic pancreatitis (CP) from my gastrointestinal tract being injured in an accident. I have not been a drinker but the pain has caused me to be on opiates everyday as prescribed by my doctor.

Comment from: Elaine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My "true cyst" of the pancreas was diagnosed only on pathology examination by the pathologist. The surgeon said my pancreatic tail looked "necrotic" but he was certain this didn't mean cancerous. My cyst was a lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas and presented as left upper quadrant pain followed by daily unrelenting nausea. The pain was intense only the first week then sporadic after that. The bigger problem was nausea. I'm told there is no known cause for this type of true cyst but resection is the cure. I am unsure whether this will occur again but the surgeon said "statistically no."

Comment from: countryme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Three cysts have been found in the tail of my pancreas after a CT scan for ovarian cysts. An MRI showed them as all over 2 cms. I am awaiting for a final diagnosis. My mother died of pancreatic cancer three years ago and I am terrified.

Comment from: Phil, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 13

A noncancerous cyst is close to the tail of pancreas. It causes no pain or symptoms. On the MRI was 1.1cm in Feb 2013 and 0.9 cm in this month of August, but mucous is visible.

Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis Question: How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?
Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?