Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

Question:How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: catssam, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I have Hairy Cell Leukemia which is in remission. I ran a high fever 2 weeks ago and was sent to the Emergency room by my primary care dr. A cat scan revealed cysts in my pancreas, liver and 1 lung. However, they are too small to biopsy at this time. Antibiotics have stopped the fever.

Comment from: MaryDVal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

My cysts were seen after dealing with colorectal cancer, nothing was done. Three years later I was diagnosed with cholangiocarcinoma.

Comment from: G, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My pancreatic cyst was discovered by CT scan done to help determine unexplained rapid weight loss and diarrhea. My next step is an upper GI and small intestine tissue biopsy to see if I have Celiac Disease. Another CT scan will be done in 6 weeks to see if any change in pancreatic cyst which is very small only 11mm. -- 48 year old Caucasian female.

Comment from: sm8173, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

I have Polycystic Kidney Disease and was participating in a study run by the Rogosin Institute at New York Presbyterian Hospital. As part of the study, periodic MRI's are done of your kidneys and surrounding areas. They discovered a cyst on my pancreas in the results of the MRI.

Comment from: Mum, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 09

My son was diagnosed with pancreatic cyst aged just 21. He is now having 6 monthly scans to keep an eye on things as the cyst is still there 18 months after diagnosis. There is little information given at the hospital and we just sit waiting to see what the future brings for him. He gets rather down as his life revolves around medication, trips to the GP and regular visits to the hospital.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

MRI but likely due to gallstones. Had gallbladder removed and have had 1 follow up MRI to see if cysts changed in size. They didn't and have follow up for 2011 to see if any changes. 48 year old female.

Comment from: CU812, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

My pancreatic cysts were diagnosed through a stomach ultrasound.

Comment from: Laura, Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with a 5 mm side branch I.P.M.N. as an incidental finding. I had EUS which showed very auspicious specimen with rare benign cells. I was wondering how often to have it checked and am confused as to what to do as a result of different answers from different physicians, all the way from once a year to never.

Comment from: Bob, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 21

My wife's pancreatic cysts were diagnosed via CT Scan.

Comment from: Gingerbread1275, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

Mine was through an abdominal CT scan done because of abnormal blood work results for liver and alkaline photophase as well as intermittent diarrhea (usually when I eat rich or greasy foods which isn't often).

Comment from: nurse1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

Recently had coronary angioplasty and had 3 stents. Then, had 3 episodes of what has now been diagnosed as ischemic colitis. During CT for diagnosing apparent colitis, the cyst was identified and then documented by MRI.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?