Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

Question:How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: Kasey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in 2008 after having gallbladder surgery. The surgeon stated I had something going on with a bile duct that didn't look exactly right on X-ray. After the ERCP, I had acute pancreatitis. I stayed in the hospital a total of three weeks. During the next 8 to 12 months I started having right-side pain and it hurt to bend over. My doctor sent me for a CT scan thinking it might be a kidney stone and it was then that they found the cyst on my pancreas. I was sent to a surgical oncologist and I had repeated CT scans every three months to see if the cyst has grown. The cysts were not filled with fluid, but tissue. My options are limited. I have to go back in a week for another scan to see if the cyst has grown.

Comment from: Paininside, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I found I had a pancreatic cyst after I ended up in the hospital for five days with pancreatitis. I had been having pain in the area for some time, but assumed it was due to the gastrostomy tube I had inserted in 2001 due to esophageal dysphasia from type 4 systemic scoliosis. After I left the hospital and saw my doctor, I was told the pancreatic cyst was 7 cm x 4 cm. It was larger than they wanted, but due to the other medical issues I have, we decided to wait and watch. Even though I continued to have pain it wasn't enough to put me in the hospital. We attempted to drain the cyst prior to going on a cruise, but found that the "liquid" was not drainable. It was more of a jelly consistency than liquid. We went on a cruise and took it easy and after we returned I had another CT scan. Then I received a surprise we had not anticipated and it was a second cyst. This cyst is considered medium size, and again, we are waiting and watching. I still have pain, not enough to go to the hospital though, and because of all the other issues, I am almost to the point of telling them to go and either do the test (scope) that typically causes pancreatitis, or to just do the surgery and take the cysts out. I expect there may be more on the pancreas than they can see through a CT Scan -- cannot have an MRI because of a neurostimulator implant in my back.

Comment from: Dana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

As I previously had ovarian cysts, my doctor decided to do the CT scan which revealed a small cyst in the body of the pancreas. To check further, they have done an MRI scan. I haven't got the results yet.

Comment from: petalpusher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My pancreatic cysts were diagnosed found when I had a MRI for my low back pain. I have to schedule a CT Scan every year now. I am staying away from alcohol, and trying to stay away from sugar.

Comment from: sterling, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

The cyst on my pancreas was found during an ultrasound when checking my gallbladder. I have been having MRIs for about five years to check the size of it, and so far, it has not grown or changed.

Comment from: me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am a 63 year old female who has had right pelvic pain only at a specific point for 2.5 years. All gynecology tests (pelvic and transvaginal untrasounds and tumor marker) were negative. When it suddenly became more intense and lasted for a few minutes, a CT scan was done. The 0.6cm pancreatic neck and 0.7 cm pancreatic body mucinous cysts were found. I am awaiting my appointment with the pancreatic surgeon.

Comment from: very afraid, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

In May 2011 I had my gallbladder removed. In the tests leading up to the removal they found 2 large stomach ulcers and 3 small cysts on the tail of the pancreas. I waited 6 months and just had the ERCP with contrast and will find out the results on Monday the 9th. of January. What should I ask and what should I expect from the cancer surgeon. Thanks for your concern.

Comment from: Riley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I had an ultra sound done on my liver because my bilirubin's were elevated in my blood test. They discovered a lesion on my pancreas, approx. 2.3 by 1.9 by 0.9. I am now going to get a ERCP. The digestive disease doctor I talked to couldn't get me in until 2/1/2012, there is no way I can mentally wait that long. I decided to take control of things and I am trying to get into a medical center. Hopefully I can get an appointment a lot sooner.

Comment from: karyn, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 15

November 1 my husband went to the er they did a CAT scan which did not show the cyst (or so we thought) on May 6 the CAT scan was repeated with oral contrast and that was the first time the cyst was seen it was estimated to be 1.8cm. Next we went to a clinic in Boston and he had an MRCP and the cyst appeared to be about 2.5cm next he had an EUS which measured it at 2.8 cm. The most IMPORTANT part of this is that the cyst was really there in the first CAT scan of Nov 1 it was just over looked so we thought that it was growing but in reality it was really about 2.6 cm in Nov. Make sure you have an expert read your scan it was the surgeon that suspected that it was really there in Nov. and it had been over looked and he was right. Always get your own films and take them with you!!!!

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?