Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cysts - Diagnosis

Question:How were your pancreatic cysts diagnosed?

Comment from: Laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am 31, and an otherwise healthy and fit female who does not (and never has) consumed alcohol. After four months of feeling queasy all the time and pain in my right side and back, my doctor sent me for an ultrasound to check my gallbladder. It was fine, but they found a 3-cm cyst in my pancreas. They think it looks like a pseudocyst, but I will have CT scan in the next few weeks to confirm it and decide what to do next.

Comment from: Rc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

Pancreatic cysts were diagnosed during an abdominal CT scan. Had gone to the hospital ER due to an intestinal bug. Doctor ordered a CT scan to rule out appendicitis.

Comment from: Sunflower, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My husband's cysts were first noted in an abdominal CT scan but the internist failed to heed the radiologist's suggestion to do further tests. He has Type II diabetes. We saw a surgeon who sent him for a EUS and FNA. The FNA caused acute pancreatitis which caused pseudo cysts. These cysts multiplied and within an 8-month period it had grown by a factor of five. They now surround the single meniscus cyst like a large cluster of grapes and have caused the pancreas to be enlarged and decrease the capacity of his stomach. He cannot have surgery because that would cause brittle diabetes He also is on dialysis because later his only kidney failed. His health is now so fragile no one will do another EUS. Because of his kidney he is not allowed any contrast die so a CT scan is virtually useless. Choose your doctors carefully and read every report immediately and make sure action is not delayed. Ask how many FNAs have been done and what % have caused pancreatitis......

Comment from: Beko, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I had a kidney stone that I was unable to pass, ended up in the emergency room, had a CT scan and discovered a 15 cm tumor on my pancreas. Had a partial pancreas removal and spleen removal. Turned out to be a malignant Pseudo papillary tumor of the pancreas. Have been disease free for 4 years.

Comment from: Student01, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

My pancreatic cysts (total of 3, largest 18mm by 24mm) were first noticed when my doctor wanted to look at my liver via ultrasound. The test indicated I had "fatty liver" (no one seemed to care about this), but what was first called "a mass on my pancreas" was noticed. An EDU procedure identified them as cysts. I write to tell people about waking up during the EDU process, it is not pleasant, and I have been a chronic pain patient for 4 years. During this 4 years I have developed a tolerance for drugs that treat pain. The doctor said it was this tolerance that made me wake up. My doctor said I am no longer a candidate for this low level sedation. I guess I gave them a bit of trouble (I do not fully remember), and I am pretty big and strong, they do not want a wrestling match again. I think my cysts will be dealt with through surgery (mainly as I search for reasons I have so much back pain), and I have a feeling I will have my gallbladder taken out as I show moderate/severe chronic pancreatitis, but I do not drink at all and stopped drinking 9 years ago.

Comment from: janelle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am now 40 years old. Four years ago I had my gallbladder removed due to gall stones and one stone lodged in a liver duct. I then had a separate surgery to remove the stone in 2009. I had pain in my right side and I went to the doctor who then did a scope to see what was going on. He said there was sludge in the liver duct and he removed it. During the surgery he cut my pancreas, which caused pancreatitis. I was in the hospital for two months then was sent home on a feeding tube for two months. After getting off the feeding tube I went back to the doctor to find out I have a cyst on the head and tail of my pancreas. They started out small. That was in 2009. Now in 2012, the one on the head of the pancreas is the size of a grapefruit. I am having it drained, and I am truly scared. I am also now a type 1 with diabetes taking six insulin shots a day. Only 20 percent of my pancreas works now. I am hoping after today the pain in my right side and back will go away. I have had pain block after pain block and they just don't seem to be working so all and all I hope all goes well.

Comment from: Lauren19380, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: May 03

My 81-year-old mom had upper abdominal pain for a few months, then started having dizzy spells where she would nearly lose consciousness for a few weeks before she told anyone. We had noticed that she was getting thinner, but were shocked when she revealed a 25 pound weight loss over three months. At a doctor's office visit, her hemoglobin was 6 and she had pain and palpations in the upper left abdomen. She was immediately admitted to the hospital, given two units of blood, and a CT scan was performed. Several cysts were noted in the tail of the pancreas. After an MRI, the doctors assured her the cysts were not malignant. An endoscopy revealed a large bleeding ulcer and she was discharged with medication. I am concerned about the pancreatic cysts, but everyone else feels satisfied that her symptoms have been adequately explained by the ulcer. My mom has always been extraordinarily fit and healthy and now she just looks like a pale ghost of her former self.

Pancreatic Cysts - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with pancreatic cysts?
Pancreatic Cysts - Types Question: Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.
Pancreatic Cysts - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your pancreatic cyst?