Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had an operation in 2009 for pancreatic cancer (PC), the tail of the pancreas and spleen were removed, out of 4 lymph nodes in the spleen, 2 were cancerous. I was told I have a 7% chance of making it 5 years, this September will be five years. I also have breast cancer not related to PC. This month marks my 5th year, I am now a breast cancer survivor. Since day one I have been experiencing stomach pain and throwing up, no matter what they do it stays with me. I had chemotherapy and radiation together, 25 radiation treatments and one year of chemotherapy. I just want to be able to lie down without getting sick to my stomach. The doctors are really great but nothing works.

Comment from: Not my time, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I was lucky. My cancer was found very early. The only symptom I had was I "turned yellow". Since I had no pain the doctors started looking for cancer. I had Whipple procedure performed on me in Feb 2012, went through 6 months of chemotherapy and radiation. I did not experience any side effects from the chemotherapy or radiation. I kept a positive attitude throughout. The ordeal was very hard on my family; I was along for the ride. I now understand I am one of the few that has beaten the odds (2 years to the good and counting). All I can say is, in Feb 2012, it was not my time!

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My husband of 30 years is alive and very well today after his pancreatic cancer diagnosis at the age of 37. We were told at the time he would not see his 38th birthday. He is now 55 years old. At the time of his diagnosis, only one surgeon was willing to help us as all our other avenues told us it was too late. After surgery, my husband elected not to have any chemo or any other radiation therapy. He battled for 12 months in recovery and slowly but surely he regained enough strength to go back to work full-time, very rarely having a sick day off. We were given a 1% chance of having anymore children and now have a grand 16-year-old boy. He has remained cancer-free to this day. When he is asked why he thinks he survived, he says, "It's all in the mind."

Comment from: GregO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Gemzar, Cisplatin and radiation kept the main tumor on my pancreas from growing, reduced the size of one lymph node to half its size and reduced the other by .4 X .4cm.

Comment from: Jayzee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had the whipped in June of 2011 followed by 6 months of chemo (Gemzar) and 6 weeks of radiation. The cancer was found in 7 of my lymph nodes at the time of surgery. As of today (May 2012) there has been no sign of cancer with 19-9 levels well within normal range. I am 37 years old. I feel great and have regained almost all of my strength and appetite. I did get plenty of rest during treatment and tried to eat often despite battling nausea. Keep a positive mindset and pray, pray, pray!

Comment from: dkpx2, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

May 6 my wife was diagnosed with stage IV PC. Started treatments the end of May. She was accepted in a trial study. The stem cell drug is OMP-59r5, along with Abraxane and gemcydabine, after 4 treatments she had a 50% reduction in lesion size (from 4cm to 2cm). She is treated once a week and has not been sick at all from the chemo.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My grandfather was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in December 2012. He had surgery to get the tumors out of the pancreas and stomach. After surgery he had radiation. July 2013 he was cancer free. But my grandmother died and he went into depression and took a lot of stress. The cancer came back and spread to the liver, and now Dr. said that he is too weak to get treated with Chemo. The Dr. stated he has maybe two months rarely 6 months. I'm still going to ask for radiation treatment for his stomach so that he has less pain when having bowel movements. I pray for everyone that has gone through this. Keep positive and don't give up. It's God who makes the call! My prayers go out to you all!

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?