Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: Christie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I have just been diagnosed with strep throat. This is my 2nd time in years. It is certainly the worst feeling ever. My throat felt as if it was on fire and my ears hurt and I had a fever. I had to go to the emergency room at 5:30 am. They gave me Keflex and advised not to go to work, to take ibuprofen, drink lots of fluids and rest. It was so painful to swallow I wanted to cry every time I tried

Comment from: noPCme, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a year and a half ago. I was given no chance of survival, 3 to 6 months, and inoperable. I was advised to call the right-to-die people, to not bother with an oncologist as it would do no good. Well, here I am today, my inoperable tumor removed, and cancer-free. I received experimental immunotherapy, chemotherapy, radiation, and the Whipple surgery. I also practiced self-hypnosis, visualization, and prayer, (and have a very strong will to live). My advice, take courage, take hope, some of us do survive, and new treatments are being developed that can offer a real cure. And never let medical professionals needlessly frighten you with dire prognosis! If I had listened and done nothing, I would have died a year ago. Remember there is mystery to life, mind, and spirit; we are so much more than a scary disease. Take heart!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had an operation in 2009 for pancreatic cancer (PC), the tail of the pancreas and spleen were removed, out of 4 lymph nodes in the spleen, 2 were cancerous. I was told I have a 7% chance of making it 5 years, this September will be five years. I also have breast cancer not related to PC. This month marks my 5th year, I am now a breast cancer survivor. Since day one I have been experiencing stomach pain and throwing up, no matter what they do it stays with me. I had chemotherapy and radiation together, 25 radiation treatments and one year of chemotherapy. I just want to be able to lie down without getting sick to my stomach. The doctors are really great but nothing works.

Comment from: Not my time, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I was lucky. My cancer was found very early. The only symptom I had was I "turned yellow". Since I had no pain the doctors started looking for cancer. I had Whipple procedure performed on me in Feb 2012, went through 6 months of chemotherapy and radiation. I did not experience any side effects from the chemotherapy or radiation. I kept a positive attitude throughout. The ordeal was very hard on my family; I was along for the ride. I now understand I am one of the few that has beaten the odds (2 years to the good and counting). All I can say is, in Feb 2012, it was not my time!

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My husband of 30 years is alive and very well today after his pancreatic cancer diagnosis at the age of 37. We were told at the time he would not see his 38th birthday. He is now 55 years old. At the time of his diagnosis, only one surgeon was willing to help us as all our other avenues told us it was too late. After surgery, my husband elected not to have any chemo or any other radiation therapy. He battled for 12 months in recovery and slowly but surely he regained enough strength to go back to work full-time, very rarely having a sick day off. We were given a 1% chance of having anymore children and now have a grand 16-year-old boy. He has remained cancer-free to this day. When he is asked why he thinks he survived, he says, "It's all in the mind."

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?