Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had an operation in 2009 for pancreatic cancer (PC), the tail of the pancreas and spleen were removed, out of 4 lymph nodes in the spleen, 2 were cancerous. I was told I have a 7% chance of making it 5 years, this September will be five years. I also have breast cancer not related to PC. This month marks my 5th year, I am now a breast cancer survivor. Since day one I have been experiencing stomach pain and throwing up, no matter what they do it stays with me. I had chemotherapy and radiation together, 25 radiation treatments and one year of chemotherapy. I just want to be able to lie down without getting sick to my stomach. The doctors are really great but nothing works.

Comment from: Not my time, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I was lucky. My cancer was found very early. The only symptom I had was I "turned yellow". Since I had no pain the doctors started looking for cancer. I had Whipple procedure performed on me in Feb 2012, went through 6 months of chemotherapy and radiation. I did not experience any side effects from the chemotherapy or radiation. I kept a positive attitude throughout. The ordeal was very hard on my family; I was along for the ride. I now understand I am one of the few that has beaten the odds (2 years to the good and counting). All I can say is, in Feb 2012, it was not my time!

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 02

My husband of 30 years is alive and very well today after his pancreatic cancer diagnosis at the age of 37. We were told at the time he would not see his 38th birthday. He is now 55 years old. At the time of his diagnosis, only one surgeon was willing to help us as all our other avenues told us it was too late. After surgery, my husband elected not to have any chemo or any other radiation therapy. He battled for 12 months in recovery and slowly but surely he regained enough strength to go back to work full-time, very rarely having a sick day off. We were given a 1% chance of having anymore children and now have a grand 16-year-old boy. He has remained cancer-free to this day. When he is asked why he thinks he survived, he says, "It's all in the mind."

Comment from: Rileychris71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Your full article about pernicious anemia helped me understand what I have been diagnosed with recently. My vitamin B12 level is 399, which points to a deficiency that is caused by pernicious anemia. I've dealt with iron deficient anemia and my red cells are slowly shrinking and not absorbing Iron from food. This started in 2011 to 2015. Received blood once and had 3 iron infusions. My experienced symptoms are continuous, but as per emergency room doctors and basic tests done results are normal. I wonder if I need to see help specialists or a different type of doctor.

Comment from: Ladyleo, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My mother had pancreatic cancer. She refused to take anything except chemotherapy by mouth. They couldn't do surgery because the cancer had wrapped around an artery. She also developed high blood sugar. They found it in 2002 and she did alright for several years but the last maybe 3 years of her life she didn't do too good. She passed away in 2012, but I feel like this was a long time due to it spreading to her liver. I think having her family close all the time helped her to be with us for 10 years after they found it. She was also a strong willed person that loved her family and fought to live in the end.

Comment from: GregO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Gemzar, Cisplatin and radiation kept the main tumor on my pancreas from growing, reduced the size of one lymph node to half its size and reduced the other by .4 X .4cm.

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?