Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

My mother is 70 years old with pancreatic cancer. After an operation she had in August 2009 she took chemotherapy for 3 months. In December 2009 MRI showed that cancer appeared on the liver. After two months of Chemotherapy she was so tired from the symptoms of the therapy that doctors decided that was no use to carry on with therapy. Doctors gave her maximum time of life 1 year. 3 weeks after last chemotherapy she is recovering and feels better even though family is very pessimistic about her future. We expect that the end is very near.

Comment from: sad sister, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 23

Well I really just have a question. My sister survived the Whipple surgery 7 years ago. It has now come back fast and furious!! She's going down very fast and we can hardly bare it. Now all of a sudden she has been bloating bad in her belly and the Dr. has given her 2 bags of Lasik. I know that it is only a matter of a short time before she slips away but I'm not ready. If you can let me know about this fluid I would appreciate it.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

My mom, 81 has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. She at the moment is accepting of her situation. I have recently heard of new cancer treatments where nano particles of metal, such as gold, are injected into the body system. My basic understanding is that these nano particles are attracted the cancerous cells and then are "nuked" with the result of the individual cancer cells being killed.

Comment from: shadowppup, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 09

I am so glad to hear the news that some of you are beating this awful cancer. My mom died 10 years ago at the age of 48. Her death was the darkest part of my life. She never got to hold my little girl. So anyone who has it I'll pray for you and I hope you find a doctor who will help. I hate when someone says she lost her battle, she didn't lose she fought like a warrior. I prefer to think that God just called his warrior home. God Bless.

Comment from: moodysaaber, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I wonder if there should be regular screening for pancreatic cancer. I have known about 10 people who have died of it because it wasn't found soon enough (a "silent" killer). My mother died of it as did my wife's mother. It is extremely painful in the end and has often metastasized all over the liver.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have pancreatitis, and I am a new diabetic, has anyone checked to see if our cholesterol drugs have caused this? My MD put me on one and right off I got a fatty liver, then diabetes went from pill controlled to insulin, then to pancreatitis. Finally I forgot a Simvastin and the pain lessened. I quit taking the drug and I am slowly coming back to health, very slowly. I believe it caused much of my illness. My cholesterol wasn't that high, and was almost normal three months before I had to go on insulin.

Comment from: bpierce686, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 05

Chemotherapy has stabilized the cancer. I have had 11 treatments, the last three months ago.

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?