Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: Son, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

My dad was 58 when diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer stage 4. They gave him 6-9 months to live with chemo treatment. He faught it for 16 months and passed in November 2010. The chemo stabilized the cancer, but by then his liver started to act up.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 06

My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last October. She is 75 and has heart and blood pressure problems. She has lost 4 stones in weight since the beginning of last year. The doctor had said she has "up to a year" of her life left. I look at mum everyday and see her getting frailer and I do not think she will live to the end of this year.

Comment from: sharon, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

My dad was recently told that he is suffering from pancreatic cancer and has been scheduled for an operation on 30 September 10. My heart goes out to him and really hope that he will be able to cope with it as he is already in his 70s. He is also a diabetic patient. Please God help him pull through the operation and make the recovery process a little easier. Mum and all of us will have to be strong and never gives up hope on my beloved dad.

Comment from: BeginningToBelieve, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My grandfather just had surgery, after months of taking all kinds of medication and going through chemotherapy. Last week, after 9 hours of surgery, the doctor removed the tumor off of his pancreas. He is technically cancer free now, unless it has spread further to places they do not know about.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

My mother is 70 years old with pancreatic cancer. After an operation she had in August 2009 she took chemotherapy for 3 months. In December 2009 MRI showed that cancer appeared on the liver. After two months of Chemotherapy she was so tired from the symptoms of the therapy that doctors decided that was no use to carry on with therapy. Doctors gave her maximum time of life 1 year. 3 weeks after last chemotherapy she is recovering and feels better even though family is very pessimistic about her future. We expect that the end is very near.

Comment from: sad sister, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 23

Well I really just have a question. My sister survived the Whipple surgery 7 years ago. It has now come back fast and furious!! She's going down very fast and we can hardly bare it. Now all of a sudden she has been bloating bad in her belly and the Dr. has given her 2 bags of Lasik. I know that it is only a matter of a short time before she slips away but I'm not ready. If you can let me know about this fluid I would appreciate it.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 10

My mom, 81 has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer. She at the moment is accepting of her situation. I have recently heard of new cancer treatments where nano particles of metal, such as gold, are injected into the body system. My basic understanding is that these nano particles are attracted the cancerous cells and then are "nuked" with the result of the individual cancer cells being killed.

Comment from: shadowppup, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 09

I am so glad to hear the news that some of you are beating this awful cancer. My mom died 10 years ago at the age of 48. Her death was the darkest part of my life. She never got to hold my little girl. So anyone who has it I'll pray for you and I hope you find a doctor who will help. I hate when someone says she lost her battle, she didn't lose she fought like a warrior. I prefer to think that God just called his warrior home. God Bless.

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?