Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: day by day, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am a 31-year-old female diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in May 2008, then chronic pancreatitis in June 2010, and finally pancreatic cancer in December 2010. My problems started from heavy alcohol use after my gallbladder was removed. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't explain the importance of stopping drinking after first being diagnosed with pancreatitis, so the continued use led to where I am today -- in constant pain and withering away. If you have any problems with your pancreas at all, it would be wise to stop all your unhealthy habits ASAP and keep praying! God's the only one who can really heal you!

Comment from: aplawa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 36 years old, and I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in September of 2010. I had my spleen and three-fourths of my pancreas removed six months ago. As of a few days ago, I am still cancer-free. The only problem I have now is diabetes, which I am struggling to get under control. My prayers go out to everyone dealing with this.

Comment from: malone99, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My dad was a healthy 74 year old when he was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, pancreatic cancer. His only symptom was weight loss. It was terminal and he was given 6 months to live. He passed in 4 months. He started with weight loss, then diarrhea, loss of appetite, and then being unable to swallow food. The cancer was extremely aggressive and each week he got progressively worse. The last part was his stomach swelled/bloated like he was a few months pregnant and he slept alot the final two weeks. After the stomach swelling he passed about two days later. Now my 41 year old extremely healthy fit husband had a left side stomach ache for two days went to dr and had a CT scan, they saw a 3 inch mass on the tail of his pancreas. Then he got a 103 fever and now we are waiting biopsy results. Praying and hoping for the best. Glad to hear success stories on this board as well as others.

Comment from: IslandGirl, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

I have a friend that is 56 years old who just found out he has pancreatic cancer. He was told by his doctor that he has six months, if not treated, and nine months if treated with radiation or chemotherapy. He's been relatively healthy, other than his diabetes, which he takes pills for.

Comment from: jcandler, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on Dec. 28, 2004. It was inoperable due to the tumor being in the portal vein. After six weeks of radiation and oral chemotherapy, the tumor had shrunk. I was operated on in March of 2005. After two months, I started regular chemotherapy for the next six to seven months. I had treatment every week for three weeks and then a week off. I visited my oncologist yesterday, and there is still no sign of the cancer.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in February 2012. Surgery was not an option because it had spread too far. Radiation was not an option because it only goes to one place. Chemotherapy didn't work, the chemo pill Afinitor didn't work, so now he will start hospice. He has a 10 cm tumor on his pancreas, a 16 cm tumor on the right lobe of his liver, and almost all his liver is gone.

Comment from: Angela, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 12

April 2010 at the age of 74 I had pancreas and duodenum Whipple procedure for pancreatic neuroendocrine carcinoma tumor on head 3.5. Had head of pancreas, gall bladder, part of small intestine, and stomach, and 21 lymph nodes removed, 3 nodes were positive. It is one year since surgery and as of now no occurrence of metastasis. Since surgery diabetes has improved so cut back on insulin, take pancreaze to aid in digestion but appetite has returned and put on a few pounds. Had thyroid nodules that became toxic after surgery causing hyperthyroidism but with a very low dosage of medication have that under control.

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?