Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: hurricane, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

My mom was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She is 86 years old and chose not to have surgery or chemo due to her age. My family is looking in to diet and eating all those cancer fighting foods.

Comment from: dua, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 08

My father is suffering from pancreatic cancer and unfortunately his portal veins are located inside the solid mass. So the doctors says that because of this the mass can't be removed by surgery.

Comment from: melissap, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas when I was 37 and 10 days post partum with my fourth child. I had a Whipple procedure and was sent home and told there was nothing else to be done except for follow up CT scans. That was 20 years ago in January. I am 57 and back in school in a radiation therapy program. I agree. Sometimes it is all in your attitude. I knew I had to get home and take care of those four children.

Comment from: day by day, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am a 31-year-old female diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in May 2008, then chronic pancreatitis in June 2010, and finally pancreatic cancer in December 2010. My problems started from heavy alcohol use after my gallbladder was removed. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't explain the importance of stopping drinking after first being diagnosed with pancreatitis, so the continued use led to where I am today -- in constant pain and withering away. If you have any problems with your pancreas at all, it would be wise to stop all your unhealthy habits ASAP and keep praying! God's the only one who can really heal you!

Comment from: aplawa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 36 years old, and I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in September of 2010. I had my spleen and three-fourths of my pancreas removed six months ago. As of a few days ago, I am still cancer-free. The only problem I have now is diabetes, which I am struggling to get under control. My prayers go out to everyone dealing with this.

Comment from: malone99, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My dad was a healthy 74 year old when he was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, pancreatic cancer. His only symptom was weight loss. It was terminal and he was given 6 months to live. He passed in 4 months. He started with weight loss, then diarrhea, loss of appetite, and then being unable to swallow food. The cancer was extremely aggressive and each week he got progressively worse. The last part was his stomach swelled/bloated like he was a few months pregnant and he slept alot the final two weeks. After the stomach swelling he passed about two days later. Now my 41 year old extremely healthy fit husband had a left side stomach ache for two days went to dr and had a CT scan, they saw a 3 inch mass on the tail of his pancreas. Then he got a 103 fever and now we are waiting biopsy results. Praying and hoping for the best. Glad to hear success stories on this board as well as others.

Comment from: IslandGirl, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 12

I have a friend that is 56 years old who just found out he has pancreatic cancer. He was told by his doctor that he has six months, if not treated, and nine months if treated with radiation or chemotherapy. He's been relatively healthy, other than his diabetes, which he takes pills for.

Comment from: jcandler, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on Dec. 28, 2004. It was inoperable due to the tumor being in the portal vein. After six weeks of radiation and oral chemotherapy, the tumor had shrunk. I was operated on in March of 2005. After two months, I started regular chemotherapy for the next six to seven months. I had treatment every week for three weeks and then a week off. I visited my oncologist yesterday, and there is still no sign of the cancer.

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?