Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: Jayzee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had the whipped in June of 2011 followed by 6 months of chemo (Gemzar) and 6 weeks of radiation. The cancer was found in 7 of my lymph nodes at the time of surgery. As of today (May 2012) there has been no sign of cancer with 19-9 levels well within normal range. I am 37 years old. I feel great and have regained almost all of my strength and appetite. I did get plenty of rest during treatment and tried to eat often despite battling nausea. Keep a positive mindset and pray, pray, pray!

Comment from: Bonny, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

It's in GOD'S hands, when the doctor says no chance left, that's man's ideas but GOD is in charge he has all power in his hands. My best friend is diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and it has spread to her Liver, we are praying and having faith in the good Lord. She has three sons, who are heart broken, but they are trying to hold on and so am I she is my best friend whom I love dearly, she is a strong woman and is holding everyone else up!!! Praise GOD and give him the GLORY always.

Comment from: toni, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My dad is 74 and has started treatment on January 4, 2011. He has had 3 treatments of gemzar and now has had a port put in and gets 5FU injected to him 5 days a week along with radiation every day as well. This treatment is supposed to last 5 weeks. He is doing ok but he only weighs 106 lbs. still has stomach pains and nausea, but with meds can get a handle on it. We don't think he will be strong enough for surgery, he has COPD and I am wondering if anyone knows.

Comment from: Texas, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 09

My husband of 22 years was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and went through bypass surgery, chemo and radiation. He was only given six months but lived 18 months. He tried so hard, but the cancer was overpowering. I am praying for anyone diagnosed with this disease. It's so hard on the patient and the family. We had four children and our youngest was only 2 at the time. May God bless anyone and their family suffering with this disease.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My husband has neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer. In April of this year he had a 6 1/2 pound tumor removed from his abdomen, along with 1/2 of stomach, 2/3 of pancreas, spleen, left adrenal gland and it was a miraculous surgery. However, each of those parts contained pancreatic cancer and it has spread to the spinal column and liver. He has been getting chemo and had radiation. He is doing so much better and last week he golfed 18 holes of golf twice. We are amazed; however, he continues chemo and will have another CT scan this month. He is 64. We are not in this battle alone and most likely the chemo will continue. We won't give up hope though.

Comment from: dbent, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March of 2006. I went to the Mayo Clinic and had the Whipple procedure on March 28, 2006. I returned home for three months for recovery. Then I returned to Mayo for three months of radiation and chemotherapy. As of last June 2009, my CT scan showed no new cancer cells, and the doctors have considered me in remission. I thank the Lord and Mayo Clinic every day of my life.

Comment from: dkpx2, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

May 6 my wife was diagnosed with stage IV PC. Started treatments the end of May. She was accepted in a trial study. The stem cell drug is OMP-59r5, along with Abraxane and gemcydabine, after 4 treatments she had a 50% reduction in lesion size (from 4cm to 2cm). She is treated once a week and has not been sick at all from the chemo.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 08

My grandfather was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in December 2012. He had surgery to get the tumors out of the pancreas and stomach. After surgery he had radiation. July 2013 he was cancer free. But my grandmother died and he went into depression and took a lot of stress. The cancer came back and spread to the liver, and now Dr. said that he is too weak to get treated with Chemo. The Dr. stated he has maybe two months rarely 6 months. I'm still going to ask for radiation treatment for his stomach so that he has less pain when having bowel movements. I pray for everyone that has gone through this. Keep positive and don't give up. It's God who makes the call! My prayers go out to you all!

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?