Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: Bonny, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

It's in GOD'S hands, when the doctor says no chance left, that's man's ideas but GOD is in charge he has all power in his hands. My best friend is diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and it has spread to her Liver, we are praying and having faith in the good Lord. She has three sons, who are heart broken, but they are trying to hold on and so am I she is my best friend whom I love dearly, she is a strong woman and is holding everyone else up!!! Praise GOD and give him the GLORY always.

Comment from: toni, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My dad is 74 and has started treatment on January 4, 2011. He has had 3 treatments of gemzar and now has had a port put in and gets 5FU injected to him 5 days a week along with radiation every day as well. This treatment is supposed to last 5 weeks. He is doing ok but he only weighs 106 lbs. still has stomach pains and nausea, but with meds can get a handle on it. We don't think he will be strong enough for surgery, he has COPD and I am wondering if anyone knows.

Comment from: Texas, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 09

My husband of 22 years was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and went through bypass surgery, chemo and radiation. He was only given six months but lived 18 months. He tried so hard, but the cancer was overpowering. I am praying for anyone diagnosed with this disease. It's so hard on the patient and the family. We had four children and our youngest was only 2 at the time. May God bless anyone and their family suffering with this disease.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My husband has neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer. In April of this year he had a 6 1/2 pound tumor removed from his abdomen, along with 1/2 of stomach, 2/3 of pancreas, spleen, left adrenal gland and it was a miraculous surgery. However, each of those parts contained pancreatic cancer and it has spread to the spinal column and liver. He has been getting chemo and had radiation. He is doing so much better and last week he golfed 18 holes of golf twice. We are amazed; however, he continues chemo and will have another CT scan this month. He is 64. We are not in this battle alone and most likely the chemo will continue. We won't give up hope though.

Comment from: dbent, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March of 2006. I went to the Mayo Clinic and had the Whipple procedure on March 28, 2006. I returned home for three months for recovery. Then I returned to Mayo for three months of radiation and chemotherapy. As of last June 2009, my CT scan showed no new cancer cells, and the doctors have considered me in remission. I thank the Lord and Mayo Clinic every day of my life.

Comment from: CarlaC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

June of 2000 I underwent the Whipple proceedure followed by 9 months of chemo and radiation treatment for stage 1 pancreatic cancer. I was 40 years old at the time with two young boys and really believed I wouldn't be around to watch them grow into adults. I'm still around and proof that you can survive from this awful cancer. My thoughts and prayers go out to both the patient and there families.

Comment from: sister, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

My sister (70 years old) is a 10-year breast cancer survivor. She has now been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. After her first devastating experience with chemo, she turned to natural holistic medicine, and especially, liquid antioxidants, and Isotonix OPC-3, which I got for her. It detoxed her body and gave her inner strength to fight off toxins. In my opinion, natural antioxidants are great for those patients who medical professionals will not treat due to their age or other reasons.

Comment from: Kathy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 10

My mother, age 85, has just been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She is healthy and walks one mile three times a week. She has no weight issues, but has been told she only has up to four months to live. I'm wondering what we can expect to see as the disease progresses. My heart aches for her, as there is nothing I can do to help her. They will not do any chemo or radiation due to her age.

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?