Patient Comments: Pancreatic Cancer - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your pancreatic cancer?

Comment from: Ladyleo, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 08

My mother had pancreatic cancer. She refused to take anything except chemotherapy by mouth. They couldn't do surgery because the cancer had wrapped around an artery. She also developed high blood sugar. They found it in 2002 and she did alright for several years but the last maybe 3 years of her life she didn't do too good. She passed away in 2012, but I feel like this was a long time due to it spreading to her liver. I think having her family close all the time helped her to be with us for 10 years after they found it. She was also a strong willed person that loved her family and fought to live in the end.

Comment from: GregO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

Gemzar, Cisplatin and radiation kept the main tumor on my pancreas from growing, reduced the size of one lymph node to half its size and reduced the other by .4 X .4cm.

Comment from: Jayzee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I had the whipped in June of 2011 followed by 6 months of chemo (Gemzar) and 6 weeks of radiation. The cancer was found in 7 of my lymph nodes at the time of surgery. As of today (May 2012) there has been no sign of cancer with 19-9 levels well within normal range. I am 37 years old. I feel great and have regained almost all of my strength and appetite. I did get plenty of rest during treatment and tried to eat often despite battling nausea. Keep a positive mindset and pray, pray, pray!

Comment from: Bonny, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

It's in GOD'S hands, when the doctor says no chance left, that's man's ideas but GOD is in charge he has all power in his hands. My best friend is diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and it has spread to her Liver, we are praying and having faith in the good Lord. She has three sons, who are heart broken, but they are trying to hold on and so am I she is my best friend whom I love dearly, she is a strong woman and is holding everyone else up!!! Praise GOD and give him the GLORY always.

Comment from: toni, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My dad is 74 and has started treatment on January 4, 2011. He has had 3 treatments of gemzar and now has had a port put in and gets 5FU injected to him 5 days a week along with radiation every day as well. This treatment is supposed to last 5 weeks. He is doing ok but he only weighs 106 lbs. still has stomach pains and nausea, but with meds can get a handle on it. We don't think he will be strong enough for surgery, he has COPD and I am wondering if anyone knows.

Comment from: Texas, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 09

My husband of 22 years was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and went through bypass surgery, chemo and radiation. He was only given six months but lived 18 months. He tried so hard, but the cancer was overpowering. I am praying for anyone diagnosed with this disease. It's so hard on the patient and the family. We had four children and our youngest was only 2 at the time. May God bless anyone and their family suffering with this disease.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 05

My husband has neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer. In April of this year he had a 6 1/2 pound tumor removed from his abdomen, along with 1/2 of stomach, 2/3 of pancreas, spleen, left adrenal gland and it was a miraculous surgery. However, each of those parts contained pancreatic cancer and it has spread to the spinal column and liver. He has been getting chemo and had radiation. He is doing so much better and last week he golfed 18 holes of golf twice. We are amazed; however, he continues chemo and will have another CT scan this month. He is 64. We are not in this battle alone and most likely the chemo will continue. We won't give up hope though.

Comment from: dbent, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March of 2006. I went to the Mayo Clinic and had the Whipple procedure on March 28, 2006. I returned home for three months for recovery. Then I returned to Mayo for three months of radiation and chemotherapy. As of last June 2009, my CT scan showed no new cancer cells, and the doctors have considered me in remission. I thank the Lord and Mayo Clinic every day of my life.

Pancreatic Cancer - Causes Question: What do you suspect are the causes of your pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with pancreatic cancer in you, a friend, or relative?
Pancreatic Cancer - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your pancreatic cancer? How are you dealing with it?