Patient Comments: Pancreas Divisum - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with pancreas divisum?

Comment from: Janb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I began having severe attacks of abdominal pain in my mid-fifties which were random but debilitating. Everything pointed to pancreatitis but since I had none of the risk factors, that diagnosis was disregarded. I had my gallbladder removed which actually exacerbated the problem. After ten years I presented with fatty stool which convinced my physician enough for him to order an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography). This verified the diagnosis and the cause was attributed to pancreas divisum. I underwent a procedure to place stents in my pancreatic ducts and found immediate relief. After a year of lessening attacks I have been attack free for five years and no longer require the enzymes.

Comment from: Bud, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I had many serious attacks of pain as I got older. I was hospitalized six times with the pain. The treatments I received in the hospital were basically pain killers. I was told that my gall bladder had to be removed as it was the cause of my pain. Out it went, and after about six months the pain returned. I was referred to a specialist who went in and confirmed the pancreas divisum. He placed me on an enzyme pill which I take with each meal. He also said that only as a last resort was I to allow any surgeon to mess with the divisum. I have not had any pain for five years while taking the enzyme pills. Note: only take enzyme pills made here in the US. Enzyme pills are not reviewed or regulated by the FDA!

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have suffered 4 bouts of pancreatitis and have been found to have a pancreatic divisum. No one told me that this could result in abdominal pain apart from an episode of pancreatitis. On a recent trip to the emergency room (ER), thinking I was heading off an acute pancreatitis episode, I was told my lab tests were fine and it was just a stomach bug. I was mortified that I'd gone to the ER for a stomach ache! Yet part of me knew that couldn't be. I know a bug and I know epigastric pain. I wish I had known and the ER doctors had known that divisum can cause abdominal pain apart form a full blown episode of pancreatitis! I'm glad I read this article.

Comment from: Linda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I am having pain. One CAT scan with contrast said I had pancreas divisum (PD), as well as an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography) procedure. The doctor tried to stent but couldn't. Followed up with a university hospital and they did an ultrasound and said there is no PD. I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Pancreas Divisum - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment or surgery have you received for your pancreas divisum?