Patient Comments: Palpitations - Causes

What was the cause of your palpitations?

Comment from: Shaun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had palpitations since I was about 8 years old. I am now 35 and still have episodes--maybe once every month or two. Mine can be induced by heavy meals or high blood pressure. Other triggers include bending down too fast or getting overheated. While it's happening, my heart rate is around 200. I feel shortness of breath, tightness in my chest, along with pain in my carotid artery, behind my eyes and in my jaw. To relieve this I try staying cool, relaxing as much as possible, and long, deep, controlled breaths. I think about slowing my heart down and it will stop as abruptly as it started. Sometimes it will start to slow down, but gets irregular. When it goes irregular it can last for hours. I do not take any medicine for it.

Comment from: sandy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have had palpitations for the past 15 years. I am 78 years old. Usually, it happens after eating and lying down. I've had all the tests done and nothing shows up. I feel good otherwise. Exercise helps. I will try a lighter meal in the evening. I try to take an aspirin before supper to prevent the evening palpitations, which sometimes works. I also take a 160 mg beta blocker for head tremors that may be helpful. Stress seems to be a major problem. I don't smoke and drink only 2 cups of coffee a day.

Comment from: Vic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 46 yr old woman (BMI "Obese") and after a long period of weight gain and no exercise, I started a fitness program on my treadmill. Sometimes, even though I could still talk, just a little out of breath, and felt good at a certain pace, I would measure my pulse and it would be up to 150. I thought that was ok, but then I started to get these strong heart palpitations. Every night they would start in the early evening and last until I was finally able to fall asleep. They were very strong beats and skips of my heart. When I did some research and realized I was working out way above my target heart rate, especially for such an overweight person just starting to exercise, I stopped my workouts for two weeks. The palpitations ceased. Now I am discouraged and trying to start a new routine with a lower target heart rate.

Comment from: dixie, 55-64 Male Published: April 05

I am on treatment for high blood pressure, but I have noticed that I get heavy palpitations after I have eaten. I also get them when I go to bed to sleep. I sometimes have to get up to relieve the symptoms.

Comment from: Jeanette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I'm 54 years old and have been having palpations on and off for the last 6 years or so. They normally start when I'm in bed usually in the middle of the night which seems to make it feel worse, at times I feel like my heart is trying to beat its way out of my chest and my pulse usually increases to around 100 bpm. Thankfully they don't occur too often and I put the cause down to post menopause.

Comment from: Zoila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have been taking Meloxicam for 2 days and I have felt the same effects. Palpitations after eating and when going to bed.

Comment from: Jake Sharp, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I'm 17 and for many years I have had what I assume to be heart palpitations. After an intense burst of exercise, such as taking off sprinting or making a tall jump, my heart will begin to beat at a rapid pace that instantly feels different from my normal heartbeat. A sensation of lightheadedness follows. The rapid heartbeat typically lasts an hour but has stopped anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours since starting. I have found it impossible to have it end while I am standing. A deficiency of potassium was thought to be the cause but they continued after taking supplements.

Palpitations - Symptoms Question: What do your palpitation symptoms feel like?
Palpitations - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment are you receiving for your palpitations?
Palpitations - Time Question: Do you get palpitations after eating, after exercise, or when lying down?
Palpitations - Causes Question: What kind of palpitations do you get and what's the cause?