- Heart Disease Slideshow Pictures
- Medical Illustrations of the Heart Image Collection
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
- Patient Comments: Palpitations - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Palpitations - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Palpitations - Time
- Patient Comments: Palpitations - Causes
- Find a local Cardiologist in your town
Quick GuideHigh Blood Pressure (Hypertension): Warning Signs, Risks, Medications
Can palpitations be prevented?
Some causes of palpitations, including atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter may be due to underlying heart disease, especially ischemic heart disease. Risk factors that can be controlled include lifelong control of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes, plus smoking cessation.
Some patients with palpitations will benefit from avoiding caffeine, alcohol, over-the-counter cold medications (especially those that contain pseudoephedrine), herbal medications, and other stimulants.
Mann D. L., et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th edition. Saunders. 2014.