Patient Comments: Pain Management - Causes

What was/is the cause of your pain?

Comment from: rsutton55, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm a 60 year male in good health. I get a pain down the outside of my left leg after I sit for an hour or more. It is like an electrical pain running from my buttock to my knee. Stretching seems to give momentary relief. It gets worse when I lie in bed. It has been occurring for the last 5 to 6 months.

Comment from: Ben, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I've got six chigger bites and the itching was so severe that I had to go to a doctor for relief. He prescribed a cream and an antihistamine. I'm in my 3rd day and it's getting better. But the antihistamine has caused me to have nausea. Good luck. Also might add, those little critters were in the bushes in the front of my house. I will be spraying that area soon.

Comment from: Sonya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have interstitial cystitis (IC). Doctor said I am the worst case he has seen in years. The IC treatments don't seem to work anymore and pain has worsened with no help from the doctors so I suffer and have to stay in bed, when I'm not urinating. I have severe bladder, lower abdomen, lower back, and sometimes bad joint pain, all I have read is due to my IC and the doctors don't seem to understand just how painful this is. I don't know what to do to get the help I need.

Comment from: Doc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Arthritis and degenerative disc disease, from injuries during military service is the cause of my pain. This had been verified by MRI. The level of pain varies a bit, but seems to be moderate. Darvocet (2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours) used to be very effective, but that's been banned in the U.S. Years ago, I took Talwin (same dose), and it seemed to work. The constant pain just really limits my activity, and make for a poor quality of life.

Comment from: ShanaF, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I accidentally shot myself in the thigh with a 22 revolver. The bullet traveled down below my knee cap. The pain was and still is unreal. I have been to five different hospitals in agony, crying and screaming due to the pain. The doctors told me that I have "Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.” I take gabapentin three times a day. That controls the unbearable pain. But I still burn bad. I cannot move my foot. It is very swollen. I have been on crutches for six months now. I have sharp pains that appear out of nowhere. It feels as if scorpions are stinging my blood veins. Sometimes, it feels as if my bones have broke through the skin. I can feel them grinding. I also feel sharp pains in my toenails! That is crazy, huh? It feels as if there is a knife poking the toenails. My leg burns all down the calf. I have never felt this much pain. The doctors have started physical therapy. I have a boot on my leg to keep my foot straight. It has not helped. I am supposed to start spinal shots in a couple of weeks. I pray my way through the pain. I sometimes cry uncontrollably. My friends feel so bad when it happens and I am with them. They see the agony I am in and they want to help. They can't. I don't know? I pray they figure something out. I can't spend time with my 1-year-old granddaughter like I want. I cannot do things with my children. I want to walk again.

Comment from: A Powers, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I had hiccups before I was born according to my mom's obstetrician/gynecologist. I still get hiccups. Cure is to drink from the wrong side of the glass. Tip over and/or have someone steady you. You are cutting off air and the liquid squeezes the air out, I guess. I don't know. I just know it's never once failed. Anyway, it's worked on me since 1965, and I've helped many people drink from the wrong side of the glass, and their hiccups stopped.

Comment from: male person, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

I have had 3 surgeries on my back. They removed 2 discs. I have had constant pain for over 30 years. My doctor sent me to a pain management doctor.

Pain Management - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe the type of pain you suffer from, and what treatments have been effective for the pain.
Pain Management - Nociceptive Pain Question: Please describe the type of nociceptive pain you experience, including additional symptoms.
Pain Management - Neuropathic Pain Question: Describe your neuropathic pain, including associated symptoms.