Patient Comments: Pain Management - Causes

What was/is the cause of your pain?

Comment from: mmcangel626, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I have fibromyalgia and all the traditional treatments do not work for me and I have adverse effects to potent pain medications. I finally found a doctor who put me on Dilaudid and it works. Howeever, I am trying to put together a team of doctors to work with me and now I am left hanging. The Rheumatologist foisted my treatment to a primary doctor, whoever they may be for my insurance does not have a doctor who understands my condition and my history. They all know best regardless of my history, they want to put me on Lyrica, etc., again.

Comment from: mmcangel626, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

Comment from: peter, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I am 60 yrs age I am suffering from a trapped sciatic nerve in my lower left back and pain going down my left leg to my foot.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I don't know how it was caused. 3 days ago I started with pain in my left thigh and buttock, which seems to be like a sciatic pain, although I have never experienced this before, so I am guessing. I have been working harder than normal and had been climbing up and down a ladder, so this could have been the cause? I am 64 years old and have a condition called polymyalgia rheumatica for which I take steroids. The pain is intense and I am having great difficulty walking.

Comment from: bassman, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I was in an ATV accident 8 years ago and cracked 4 lumbar vertebrae in my back of which I had 3 glued back together in an outpatient procedure. The fourth was going to require major surgery with no assurance of improvement. I'm fine sitting down (experiencing no pain) but when I stand up, I develop a low nagging back pain on my right lower back. I've tried NSAIDs and other oral sources to no avail. Now, I'm considering injections or acupuncture.

Comment from: allenfor5, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I have had lower back and hip pain for a year now and after going to 3 doctors. One finally told me I had deteriorating discs and an exposed nerve in my lower back. I just have taken my last series of shots in my back. They said they put steroids and some foam stuff to seal around the disc. I worked good for a couple of weeks now it back to the terrible pain I endure.

Comment from: terri143, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have migraine headaches a few times a week. My major pain is in my back. I have degenerative disc disease and the only thing that allows me to live a live as close to normal as I can. I am taking vicodin, but, I have realized that doctors do not like to give the med that works. I take the as they are prescribed to me. I do not abuse them. I just like to have some kind of life with my grandchildren.

Comment from: PEO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am a piece of work. I am a Hodgkins Disease survivor, have had herniated discs c 4, 5, 6, t 10 thru 12, Duodenal ulcer, Fibromyalgia, Lupus and Migraines since childhood. Due to all of my previous med issues, can only take antimalarial and prednisone for Lupus, none of the latest treatments. I really thought it was funny- Rheumatologist said I was dealt a bad DECK of cards- not a HAND. Sometimes it is so overwhelming to be in constant pain. I just try to look forward to the 1 or 2 good days I get in a month. I am just hoping that something gives- tired of being a patient for the past 15 years.

Pain Management - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe the type of pain you suffer from, and what treatments have been effective for the pain.
Pain Management - Nociceptive Pain Question: Please describe the type of nociceptive pain you experience, including additional symptoms.
Pain Management - Neuropathic Pain Question: Describe your neuropathic pain, including associated symptoms.